• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrobnoxious1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Plymouth
    I smashed my index finger of my shooting hand. It blew out do to pressure, from web to tip. Took 8 stitches, and 4 weeks to close.

Now my finger doesn"t bend and is numb. Do I switch to weak hand, or switch to strong hand ring finger trigger?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ouch! Pics?

For rifle, middle finger is fine, I shoot my SKS with my middle finger. The pistol will depend on the gun and how you hand fits it.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well practice with your other hand until your right hand heals. You might want to switch holster to the other side and practice since keeping your gun on your right side is a bit awkward because you've lost the ability to pull the trigger with your index finger

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I had a similar situation. Years back I had my trigger finger severed at the first knuckle. I'm just not comfortable shooting lefty, so I just did without while I went through physical therapy and was bandaged/braced up.

Now, I'll never have full dexterity back and no feeling/sensation. I can shoot fine, but I have to work a little more than I used to on concentrating on my trigger squeeze. It's like relearning trigger control each time I get to shoot. It doesn't affect much except for in pistols.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A multi year winner of the Indiana Highpower championship, and many other state and National Pistol championships does not have a index finger. He lost it in an accident many years ago.

The next finger over from his index finger is on the trigger of his firearms.

You can always look him up. His name is Lynn Richter. He is one of my heros, he is now in his 70's and can outshoot lots of us any day of the week.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I would find a good occupational therapist to see if they can help with getting the movement and range of motion back in that finger. Depending on what was damaged they may be able to help.

DRAIN SURGEON

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Mooresvile
    Do you know which eye is dominate it might be that your dominate eye was with your other hand.It could work out switching hands. Can cause problems when shooting with both eyes open and crosseye dominate

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    When I was learning to shoot gunfighter in CAS (revolver in each hand and generally shot alternating between guns), my weak hand was actually more accurate at speed than my right hand. Mostly, because I was paying attention to it a bit more.

If your type of firearm permits weak side carry (some safeties and releases don't work that way), I'd try to practice with your weak side.

mrobnoxious1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Plymouth
    11b2b15.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some of your practice should always be with your reaction side hand anyway.

This is a good excuse to do a bit more "weak" hand shooting until you can get your weapon hand finger back up to whatever speed it will get back up to.

Top Bottom