I started Civilian Police Academy today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I am going to be volunteering for my local police department (Valparaiso). In order for me to volunteer for them I need to take their Civilian Police Academy :D. Tonight was our first of 10 classes. We introduced ourselves today, they gave us a history of the department, and a tour of the facility. It was really interesting seeing how everything works.

I can't wait for week 8 though, one of the topics is about tazer guns. They told us today anyone who wants to get tazed is welcome, the more the better were his exact words. :rockwoot:Since I can never pass up an opportunity to be in excruciating pain, I am totally doing it! :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I started the Fishers PD Citizen's Academy a little over a month ago, so far I have really enjoyed it. Very positive experience, lots of good information. I recommend a Citizen's Academy to anyone, I know Fishers has one in the spring and in the fall, Boone Co. Sheriff Ken Campbell just had their graduation from their inaugural citizen's academy on Monday.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    That's awesome John!

But whatever you do, for whatever reason, do not under any circumstances accept an invitation to go to the Blue Oyster bar.

Oh and say hello to Mahoney for me.

Blue Oyster bar? Sounds gay to me! haha but I'll keep that in mind. And I'll try to remember to tell him you said hi. Its a once a week class on tuesdays so I should probably make a note.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Bringing this back from the dead

We just finished the 4th week today I have been learning a lot and it is very interesting. Today the K-9 officer came in and did some demos, one of the Valpo officers that is on the Porter County SWAT team came in and explained everything there, and the bicycle unit talked about the things they do and why they have that unit.

The K-9 was very interesting, but I really enjoyed the SWAT officers presentation. He brought in all his gear including his HK. I can't remember the model, but it chambered in .223 and is semi and full auto with a TruGlow red dot scope. He even passed it around the room and let us all fondle it :D It was hilarious watching some of the people hold it, one girl put the stock on top of her sholder and put the red dot right up against her eye :laugh: I took some pictures of it with my cell phone, but for some reason my camera didn't work, all I got was a question mark in place of the picture. :xmad:

I'll try to remember to keep updating as the weeks go buy. Halfway there till I get tazed! WhooHooo

Marshall74

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm sorry I couldnt resist! I think its great that youre doing this.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTbe6Uzavo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTbe6Uzavo[/ame]

Last edited:

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Well we just finished our 5th week tonight. We went over 2 topics tonight, the first was Defensive tactics, and the other was community relations. The defensive tactics was very interesting. It helped me understand why they do some of the things they do. They need to be in control of the situation, so they need to be one step above the criminal.

Here is an example they used: Cop goes into a bar because the manager wants a guy out. The guy refuses to leave after the cops ask him to, so now they are legally able to touch him. If he still doesn't move then they can legally use pressure points to make them move. If he ever becomes hostile then immediately the officer can punch, taze, or use any reasonable force to stop the aggressor. The problem is, often the public doesn't see the things leading up to this aggression they just see it in progress or the aftermath.

One thing that did concern me was the officer talking about the defensive tactics got on the topic of carrying. He said that OC'ing was against the law. He even mentioned you cannot carry a gun "ready to go" as he put it. I talked to the officer in charge and told him that I have done extensive research on this topic and how it is legal in Indiana to OC. He agreed with me and said this officer was wrong. I just hope he corrects this officer, or I never get pulled over by this confused officer.

The community relations part was interesting also. Valpo is one of the very few if not only small cities in Indiana with a department dedicated to community relations. It is nice to know how involved they are in the community and that they are there to actually protect its citizens and not be an annoyance to law abiding citizens.

An interesting point, if Valpo pulls someone over for say a speeding ticket they only get $3 of the ticket, the rest goes to the state. They showed us their stats and 80% of their traffic stops result in verbal or written warnings.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Bringing this back from the dead

We just finished the 4th week today I have been learning a lot and it is very interesting. Today the K-9 officer came in and did some demos, one of the Valpo officers that is on the Porter County SWAT team came in and explained everything there, and the bicycle unit talked about the things they do and why they have that unit.

The K-9 was very interesting, but I really enjoyed the SWAT officers presentation. He brought in all his gear including his HK. I can't remember the model, but it chambered in .223 and is semi and full auto with a TruGlow red dot scope. He even passed it around the room and let us all fondle it :D It was hilarious watching some of the people hold it, one girl put the stock on top of her sholder and put the red dot right up against her eye :laugh: I took some pictures of it with my cell phone, but for some reason my camera didn't work, all I got was a question mark in place of the picture. :xmad:

I'll try to remember to keep updating as the weeks go buy. Halfway there till I get tazed! WhooHooo

a TRUGLOW SCOPE!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: He put a Walmart optic on a Ferrari gun! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

There is NO WAY I'd trust my life to a TRUGLOW, or any crapper cheapdot sight!
    Awesome gun, defunct user.

Sorry, continue on...

Keep us posted, I've been following your thread and I find it interesting. I have 10 months until I get my degree and I hope to start my career in LE. Then hopefully on the Federal Park Ranger out in the big west somewhere... Montana's Glacier Park would be awesome!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    An interesting point, if Valpo pulls someone over for say a speeding ticket they only get $3 of the ticket, the rest goes to the state. They showed us their stats and 80% of their traffic stops result in verbal or written warnings.

There is a way for a town to get around that, just pass a local ordinance for speed. The cops write them up for violating the local ordinance, and not the state and they can keep the money. I got one once, I did deserve a ticket I wasn't paying attention when I came into the town(can't remember which one) and was going about 60 in a 35. I told the officer I was sorry and I wasn't paying attention, he comes back and tells me he is writing me up on the local ordinance for speed. Then asks me if I knew what the difference between that and a speeding ticket was, after he seen the confused look on my face. The difference was a , local ordinance $25 fine and no points, state ticket was I think $125 and points. I paid the 25 gladly.

Top Bottom