• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    First off, I'm a noob. I probably haven't even shot 1k rounds in my life so I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I bought a g23 in early 2012, and aside from the perfect shot every once in a while, I consistently hit 3 or 4" low at 21ft. My brother is way better with it so I know it's not the pistol. And my groups weren't great but at least on target with both an m&p9fs and an xd9sc. Oh and it doesn't matter if it's got the stock barrel or the 9mm conversion barrel, 3 to 4" low like clockwork so I ruled out the possibility that I just suck with .40 based on that. I'm open to the notion that a g19 would be better...

So my question is should I sell it and get something I'm better with (leaning towards an m&p9c) or is it possible to fix that with training? I really don't like the idea of just accepting that I suck at shooting glocks and just getting something else, but that's probably better than betting my life on a pistol that I'm no good with...

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Get training first. Everything you learn will be applicable to another pistol if you decide to get one later. But maybe with some good instruction you can shoot well with your current pistol.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    I'd suggest training and more practice.
    I traditionally shoot low, but recently had some training which helped me adjust my grip and showed me how to line the sights up better. I'm still a little low, but I'm much closer to my aim point and my groups are better already.
    Looking forward to more practice.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For a right handed shooter

correction_chart.gif

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Where is a good place to get some inexpensive training on topics like this?

Please accept this as friendly advice. Don't search out "inexpensive training," but consider finding the best in your area. There are some great trainers in Indiana and you should be able to find someone to help you out.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I've found that once you have learned (via training with someone) to have proper trigger control, you can shoot any gun accurately. Some guns are more prone to inaccuracies with bad technique.

Any gun should hit well, if the sights stay aligned until after the trigger is pulled. When it doesn't, it is because you are:
    - Slapping the trigger, rather than pulling
    - Pushing the muzzle down in anticipation of recoil
    - One of many other factors that a good trainer can identify and rectify.

It is worth your while to get the technique down early, rather than building bad habits that you will have to break before progressing in the future.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    1. Training will help. I personally didn't get in person training until this past summer and when I did it was free from a good LEO friend who is one of his departments firearms instructors. I started by reading books on self defense, got Magpul Defensive Pistol DVD's and visited Brian Enos' website to learn about the best grip/trigger control. Now all of this was over the course of about two years when I was focusing on defensive shooting. My wife recently took a NRA Basic pistol class and I can honestly say that I could have saved time and money by starting off with this class. Not that the stuff that I did didn't have any validity, but the Basic Pistol class would have been an excellent foundation for me to build off of. Also, keep in mind I got into shooting about 10 years ago with a several year hiatus in between. I could have really benefited in this NRA Basic Pistol a LONG time ago!

2. I sold my fo' tay and now have 9mm for my defensive guns. I found the forty to be snappy and I am faster with a string of shots using the 9mm. I actually prefer the .45 over the .40 as far as recoil goes.

3. I do shoot better with a M&P but I also have many more rounds through it, so that may not be a fair comparison. I have friends that I have shot with that shoot Glocks and they seem to shoot just fine.

I know that esrice did a write up about the M&P and he used to shoot Glocks. Maybe someone who has shot thousands of rounds out of both guns can speak up, as that would be the some good insight.

Last edited:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Please accept this as friendly advice. Don't search out "inexpensive training," but consider finding the best in your area. There are some great trainers in Indiana and you should be able to find someone to help you out.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

As in MOST things in life, you get what you pay for :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    If your groups with the glock are low (but still groups) and not scattered or pulled to the side, are you sure it isn't just an issue of familiarity with the sights? I'd think this was the issue if your groupings with other pistols were more to your liking.

Know anyone with a laser boresighter that you could borrow? If so, see if what you think you are aiming at with your sights is where the barrel is actually pointed. Different sights are different.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    If your groups with the glock are low (but still groups) and not scattered or pulled to the side, are you sure it isn't just an issue of familiarity with the sights? I'd think this was the issue if your groupings with other pistols were more to your liking.

Know anyone with a laser boresighter that you could borrow? If so, see if what you think you are aiming at with your sights is where the barrel is actually pointed. Different sights are different.

Good point here.

OP - Most defensive handguns are set up with a 12 o'clock hold, this is where you cover up the target with the front sight, not "dot the i". I didn't think of this until iwearcowboyboos posted but it would make sense that if you are shooting constantly low, maybe you are trying to "dot the i"? (Otherwise know as a 6 o'clock hold) If you already knew that, then please disregard.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    I guess all I can say to that is both my brother and I are doing the same thing with all 3 pistols and the glock is the odd man out. It has what I assume are glock night sights on it, they're night sights with the glock logo on em, I've been lining up the dots and putting the center one right on the center of the target (thereby obstructing my view of it). :dunno:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I guess all I can say to that is both my brother and I are doing the same thing with all 3 pistols and the glock is the odd man out. It has what I assume are glock night sights on it, they're night sights with the glock logo on em, I've been lining up the dots and putting the center one right on the center of the target (thereby obstructing my view of it). :dunno:
    Sounds like you are in fact using the 12 o'clock hold by covering the target with the front sight (the correct one for that gun). I just wanted to bring that up because it may be obvious for people who have been shooting for many years but not known to someone who is new.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Everybody sucks at shooting until coach trains them.

I speak from experience. I sucked big time until I took a class from coach, now I don't suck as bad.

He's a great trainer, and his prices are very reasonable.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Some people are made for Glocks. I am not. I had a 23 and could NOT shoot it worth a darn. It did NOT fit my hand. My EX has it and can shoot the heck out of it. There's no way she'll ever get rid of that gun.
    I shoot the 1911 very well. They fit me like a glove. Some people are the same with Glock.
    The .40 can be a bit snappy if you want to describe it that way but I doubt it's the caliber that's the issue.
    Training is a must and I highly recommend a good instructor. Good habits will serve you a LIFEtime.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If you and your brother shoot them all low I would suggest a range trip with someone else who shoots Glocks and has a similar model. Let him/her shoot yours and compare to your results. Shoot his/her gun and compare results. If he/she is a better shot with both as far as accuracy and precision are concerned then you know it is in the shooter and get some decent training. You may end up getting some free help from an experienced shooter with a new to you way of gripping a handgun and then you can enjoy a few hours at the range honing in that skill. If it is shooter and you do not see a quick improvement then call the day short and get training. Learning incorrectly can/will result in poor muscle memory that you will fall back into. Which is still something that I deal with.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Where does the sight go when you are doing dry fire practice?

There are a lot of 'how to shoot' aids if you feel the need. Books/dvds are a good option in my opinion if you don't like the trainer route.

Top Bottom