• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I impulsively bought a MAG Tactical stripped lower (the light weight sold me) from Beech Grove Firearms, (+1 for them,) to start my very first AR build and didn't realize the possibilities. Do I want an sbr, a carbine, a 20" barrel? Is it normal for me to want more receivers already for different builds?

This first build is going to take me a while though for financial and decision making reasons. Looking forward to eventually posting something in the AR pic thread.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    if by "mistake" you mean "not mistake" then yes.

i built my first AR, then about a month later i saw 2 bare lowers locally (they were damn near impossible to find at the time) so i snatched them up right away.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd say go with a more "traditional, standard" rifle or carbine. Then go more aftermarket with the next one. My first AR is pretty much standard, and I'm building my next one with Magpul accessories, a longer barrel, and optic. But that's just me.

Oh, and don't forget for an SBR, you'll have to do the tax paperwork, come up with the tax stamp money, and wait to get the license.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    You will like building it and you WILL want more. It seriously never ends - haha Good luck and have fun with it. I think most parts are accessible at reasonable prices so your timing is good. I built a carbine first as it seemed to be a good combination of what I wanted. Then built another one that was longer range. Now I can't decide on my current build if I want a .300 Blackout or 6.8 SPC - see it never ends :) Cheers

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    You've got a point with the SBR tax stamp. I don't think I have the patients to wait that long to put something together. Besides the gas piston/impingement systems, are there any other major compatibility issues to worry about?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    The problem: It takes less than an hour to build a lower. The result: Buy more stripped lowers. Then buy more uppers. Then more optics.

I tried to satisfy the craving by getting a 300 AAC Blackout upper. Didn't work. Palmetto had nice Fn-barreled blem uppers on sale for $409......then new blem bcg's for $99......

The only way to slow down is to buy some duracoat. At least I'll have to wait until the paint dries!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Personally if I ever had an AR it would be an M16A1 lookalike. Does nobody like an AR rifle anymore? It's all carbines now.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    A carbine will make you most happy for the time being.

Go for weight. BCM light-weight carbine upper receiver. Go standard detachable carry handle. (Try to ignore those who get all spastic about accuracy, an AR with any barrel will outshoot most other similar platforms.)

Avoid rails and accessories like the plague. When funds allow, get a really trick lower and start doing the paper work to SBR it. By the time you get approval back, you'll have saved enough money to build it.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    I do like the M6A1 look, but if I bought something like that I would buy the complete rifle outright. Since I'm building one, it's going to have a few bells and whistles and at least a light. The mid length upper is what I've been looking at because its, well, the middle length. Availability has been an issue though as far as shopping the net goes. Are any of the central IN lgs's have any stock for uppers?

efpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    A midlength gas system on a 16" barrel is an excellent choice. About the most versitile ar configuration.

Searching for parts is half the fun for me. I have or or two "builds" going on at any given time. If nothing else, I have a spare delta ring or something laying around. That is the start of another AR, right? Can't just let that go to waste...

Top Bottom