I think I want a SIG- what to watch for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I have had sig 238, 2022 and 230. Now I got a new Sig and love it. It is the Sig Scorpion. It comes with trijcon night sights, some custom work, a 5lb trigger pull, stainless barrel with guide and shoots fantastic. They are new out so may take some looking. The MSRP is 1159. but I found one on Gun Broker for 850.00 plus.
    Got to your local place and try out stuff. I have to admit that carrying a 45 all the time is heavy. It takes some getting use to. I always carry a back up and its something like 380 or 9. So when i get tired, I still have something handy.
    I can say that every Sig I have shot at 25 yards has 4" grouping or better. I am not a crack shot or bragger so, I do think that it might be my confidence with a sig is high. I can also do the same thing with a Rock Island. I did try shooting a S&W Sawve or however you spell it, and I couldn't hit anything I was aiming at. I told my buddy, I would shoot the top off a bottle and he shoot the bottom. I shot mine and he emtied his clip and still didn't hit it. So I took another bottle and he hit the top off with the sig and I used his S&W and I couldn't find the bottom after a 16 round clip.
    I do carry a S&W 9mm 5906 or 669 and shoot well with both, was supprised at the difference of S&W of old and new. So maybe that should be something about the sig, maybe the older was better but also should check out the new ones. Maybe not the same.
    Good luck.

Sacrifice_Me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I recently just bought my P238 and couldn't be anymore happier about it. I was comfortable with handling it, disassembling it for cleaning, shooting different ammo, and it reminds of a mini 1911. As pretty as they look they sure do impress me with how they handle. Here is a great article highlighting three different models. I have the Lady which is the red frame, black slide, and engraved scrollwork. Its sits pretty in my belt holster.

» Pocket .380 Comparison Gun Nuts Media

Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm kinda in the same boat she was in. Ive been looking at a P250 but I've the DA trigger makes it a bad gun. So the P238 or the 2022 would be a better deal?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If you go Sig P238 make sure it's a later production model, serial no. 27AXXXXX. The earlier guns had issues. I just bought an August '11 model and the slide stop falls out when you rack the slide. It's back at the factory now, back in a week or so.:(
    Besides that, and the fact that I get misfeeds with Colt Mustang magazines, it shoots nice and is compact.:wallbash:
    It seems that many owners have had no issues whatsover.
    You might look at the P239 too.

zonfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indy
    My own opinion is that Sig quality has slipped lately, and that pains me because I like sigs. If I were you I would look for an older used sig , esp one marked made in Germany or West Germany. 230 or 232 would be good ones, also look for a used 225 or P6 for the smaller hands or maybe a 228.
    Agreed. It all slipped after the SigPRO came out. Older sigs are a great idea.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I have compared my newer, U.S. made Sigs to the much vaunted German products.
    Somebody is going to have to show me this overwhelming superiority of the German models, because I sure am not seeing it.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Took my new P238 out again today. Got to put 100 rounds through it. I could not be happier with this wonderful little gun. It is a work of art. I am proud to have it.

Farley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Bartholomew County
    I own and love my P239...small, very concealable, extremely reliable!! It just fit my hand much better than any of the Glocks I looked at. I didn't want to spend the extra money at first but once I held the P239 I fell in love. I've only fired about 100 rds through it but NEVER had any problems. I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for...buy a $200 gun get a $200 gun that goes bang sometimes...buy a $700 gun get a gun that goes bang all the time and hit what your aiming for. As far as quality goes I've never heard of anyone having problems with a sig hand gun...until I read the post above.

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    A used P225 or P226 would be great if you can find one in the price range. I'm sure that you can find a P6 around, and they're fantastic shooters. I also think that the P6 has a ton of character.

Top Bottom