• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I haven't owned a motorcycle since our wonderful politicians forced the sale of my beloved 01HD Road King back in 2008 (funny how a $600 overnight increase in your mortgage will screw with you). This time however, it's primarily just going to be for commuting and running errands so I'm not considering another big cruiser but I've got my attention focused on a Sportster. There are a lot of bobber style sportsters out there that I like and that's the direction I'd like to go.

The only issue I'm having is that I don't want to spend the extra several thousand to get one that already looks the way I like. After dealing with the 3 acres of chrome on my Road King for years I think I just want everything black and the black bikes bring a premium. I'm curious if anyone has painted their own motorcycle engines/forks/whatever themselves? I see plenty of videos on painting the chrome parts black on motorcycles but I don't know if that is something that looks good for a few weeks then starts peeling off or if there are paints that actually work properly? If I can buy a Sportster cheap I don't mind spending money to get it where I want it within reason but I'm not looking to tear a bike down and rebuild/refinish it.

Anyone have experience here?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Funny how you had to pay extra for chrome before and black was cheaper now it reversed. I have always hated chrome but I preferred when other people liked it so my black options were the cheaper of the two.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Funny how you had to pay extra for chrome before and black was cheaper now it reversed. I have always hated chrome but I preferred when other people liked it so my black options were the cheaper of the two.
    You're absolutely right. I don't want to think about the amount of money I spent on chrome for my Road King. I won't be going down that same road here.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You're absolutely right. I don't want to think about the amount of money I spent on chrome for my Road King. I won't be going down that same road here.
    I mean if strictly a commuter…. What I would do……. Buy a case of high temp black rattle cans and a case of black plastidip. Degrease the crap out of everything pressure wash whatever it takes ….. then spray everything with the correct can. Touch ups are super easy with flat colors will cost next to nothing when talking about vehicle upgrades. And worst that will happen is black flakes off somewhere and you get a chrome peekaboo touch up as needed.

I used high temp on chrome stacks and it held up well. And also used plastidip on a lot of parts. Prep work is 98% of the battle. Plastidip all over this truck.

Attachments

• CF956F4A-1A9C-4D5F-89C0-8976FDD2BE9B.jpeg
      CF956F4A-1A9C-4D5F-89C0-8976FDD2BE9B.jpeg
      842.8 KB · Views: 39

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Find a used 1200 sporty with as much black as possible and do the rest yourself as suggested above.
    I used Plastidip on my Ultra's fuel door almost 4 years ago to kill the glare. The paint still is going strong.

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    I mean if strictly a commuter…. What I would do……. Buy a case of high temp black rattle cans and a case of black plastidip. Degrease the crap out of everything pressure wash whatever it takes ….. then spray everything with the correct can. Touch ups are super easy with flat colors will cost next to nothing when talking about vehicle upgrades. And worst that will happen is black flakes off somewhere and you get a chrome peekaboo touch up as needed.

I used high temp on chrome stacks and it held up well. And also used plastidip on a lot of parts. Prep work is 98% of the battle. Plastidip all over this truck.
    nice truck
    What is MPG on that

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

Or

Just saying. If it were me.

Better bikes for about what you'd spend on a used sportster but brand new

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. I have been involved with Bikes all my memorable life. Built a few sportsters and I will tell you they ride like :poop: especially to guys that have had some issues in life. I put a 1200 kit on a new 883 for a buddy's wife. Rode it to seat the rings and hated every second of it. Bouncy short sport bike.
    Ride one or 2 before you make the leap. You may find my opinion to be true. If not, you are good to go but I hate them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Or

Winner.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Or

Unfortunately my budget is in the $3500 range.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    OK. I have been involved with Bikes all my memorable life. Built a few sportsters and I will tell you they ride like :poop: especially to guys that have had some issues in life. I put a 1200 kit on a new 883 for a buddy's wife. Rode it to seat the rings and hated every second of it. Bouncy short sport bike.
    Ride one or 2 before you make the leap. You may find my opinion to be true. If not, you are good to go but I hate them.
    I'm with ya 100%. Fortunately for me the roads around here are really well maintained and since it's just a commuter and not something I plan on taking out for joy rides I'm really tempted in spite of their shortcomings. I miss my Road King but I've always liked the look of a nice sportster.
    Screen Shot 2022-03-19 at 1.51.33 PM.png

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm with ya 100%. Fortunately for me the roads around here are really well maintained and since it's just a commuter and not something I plan on taking out for joy rides I'm really tempted in spite of their shortcomings. I miss my Road King but I've always liked the look of a nice sportster.
    View attachment 189262
    I like the looks, but after having fallen off, repeatedly, from 5 mph to 65 mph and seeing friends nearly die after being rear-ended by a jeep at a stop light, I'll never ride one on the street again. Probably safer to take up skydiving for your adrenalin rush. I still deal with scar tissue from the higher speed crash I had.

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific

that's a bit short...

a little better, but it's in Ohio

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ahh, that damned budget word. Some how I seem to never to stay in one. But I get it if you have to.

Look at a used Kawasaki Vulcan 900. Handle like a small bike feel like a big bike. Great all around bikes and simple to work on.

CM is right. You have back or shoulder issues correct? You're going to HATE the ride of a sporty.

Top Bottom