I thought indiana residents could buy ammo in illinois?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    As has been said, you cannot get a FOID as a nonresident. I've only been denied an ammo purchase in Illinois once as an Indiana resident and it was at Chuck's Gun Shop in Riverdale, IL. I don't think the law had as much to do with it as the guy behind the counter being a total a$$hat did. Anyway it's perfectly legal for nonresidents to buy ammo there. Walmart was just staffed with an idiot that day.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions

"NON-RESIDENTS

Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin or Kentucky, or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois. A non-resident who qualifies to possess a firearm under one of the above-listed exceptions may also purchase ammunition."

So according to Illinois law, an Indiana resident:

" may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois."

So we don't need to go thru an FFL to buy an AR in Illinois & bring it back home???

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    So according to Illinois law, an Indiana resident:

" may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois."

So we don't need to go thru an FFL to buy an AR in Illinois & bring it back home???

According to the info from NRA/ILA, you can

But like many other things, depends on where your'e buying and who your'e buying from. As far as how knowledgeable THEY are on their own laws.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I buy ammo in Illinois routinely with just my INDL.

Ask for a manager if you have trouble. Please don't get a FOID, I carried one for most of my life in that stupid state.

When I was finally out from under the IL State Police Thumb, I shredded mine, burnt it then peed on the ashes.
    After this I was given a call by some Sgt. of the State Police asking me to return my card to IL as I no longer lived there.
    I'd never had to do this before, I'd left IL and gone to FL and even for parts unknown before and never been asked for my old card.
    So I told him what I'd done to mine.
    He got real quiet for a bit then he asked me if I had actually peed on the ashes and I told him yes I did.
    "I'll just mark it destroyed then" said he and I hung up.

Chrisw0118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    This is exactly why Indiana and other Pro-Gun States need to make it harder on Illinois by going after more of their economic wealth by trying to get the gun and ammo manufactures to move to more of tax friendly environment. Who want to live and work where you can not sell your product feely without the Government telling you what to do with it.

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    I work in Illinois occasionally and have both bought and been denied ammo purchases with only my IN dl and no foid card. I have purchased at Big R and Rural king many times by just showing my ID. I have been denied at Dunhams due to their own store policy. They conceded that it is legal for an Indiana resident to buy ammo without a foid card but their own store corporate police is to ONLY sell to foid card holders. I asked if they realized that this excluded anybody that was not an IL resident and they did. Their store, their policy, I just have no reason to shop there anymore.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I buy ammo in Illinois routinely with just my INDL.

Ask for a manager if you have trouble. Please don't get a FOID, I carried one for most of my life in that stupid state.

When I was finally out from under the IL State Police Thumb, I shredded mine, burnt it then peed on the ashes.
    After this I was given a call by some Sgt. of the State Police asking me to return my card to IL as I no longer lived there.
    I'd never had to do this before, I'd left IL and gone to FL and even for parts unknown before and never been asked for my old card.
    So I told him what I'd done to mine.
    He got real quiet for a bit then he asked me if I had actually peed on the ashes and I told him yes I did.
    "I'll just mark it destroyed then" said he and I hung up.

:laugh::laugh:Seriously, you pee'd on your FOID card? Boy oh boy, do you realize just how much trouble your in?

He VOIDED on his FOID!:rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wal mart employees are often ill informed. I do not shop there and I suggest you do not either.

If you read a later post by the OP the Wal mart Store manager called him back (OP) and told him he (wal mart manager) had been on the phone with IL State Police and IL state police told them No an IN resident can NOT buy ammo without the IL FOID. :n00b:

So it's not just the wal-mart clerk and manager but even the IL state police that don't have a clue.

My only question to OP is why would you spend ANY money in IL.
    :dunno:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I unfortunatly dont know of any ranges in NW Indiana so I stay in IL for shooting and fishing. I have bought a lot of guns and ammo over there by flashing my DL and sometimes someone will ask for a LTCH. Never had a issue. I hate spending my money and time over there but dont know of any places to shoot or fish here in Indiana that is any good.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Don't buy Anything in Illinois!

I'm sorry, but that is just plain stupid. To generalize a statement like that.

There are some, like me, that have family that live in Illinois. Although I don't agree with the states position on firearms, I can't for the life of me understand someone saying, or even believing a statement like that.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't buy Anything in Illinois!

I unfortunatly dont know of any ranges in NW Indiana so I stay in IL for shooting and fishing. I have bought a lot of guns and ammo over there by flashing my DL and sometimes someone will ask for a LTCH. Never had a issue. I hate spending my money and time over there but dont know of any places to shoot or fish here in Indiana that is any good.

INGunOwners - Useful Links
    here is a link with useful info on NWI

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you read a later post by the OP the Wal mart Store manager called him back (OP) and told him he (wal mart manager) had been on the phone with IL State Police and IL state police told them No an IN resident can NOT buy ammo without the IL FOID. :n00b:

So it's not just the wal-mart clerk and manager but even the IL state police that don't have a clue.

My only question to OP is why would you spend ANY money in IL.
    :dunno:

Off topic, sorry

Top Bottom