• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Had some questions about Uberti Single Action revolvers. Spotted one locally and thinking about maybe picking it up as I currently have no revolvers and I've never fired a SAA. I'm pretty sure it's the cattleman model with a 4 1/2 inch barrel but I could be wrong.

My questions are it's my understanding these revolvers are built like a Colt correct and that you should only load 5 rounds instead of 6 due to the gun not having a firing pin safety? I don't obviously intend to carry the gun but would like to have some clarification while using it at the range.

Also will any set of grips fit this gun? The model I'm looking at is blued with case hardening and comes with plain wood grips. I would like to change the grips out for a set of Houge ebony.

In terms of quality how does the Uberti stand compared to Ruger, Taurus, and obviously Colt?

Finally is there any do's and don't when handling and using a Single action? I know with a modern revolver with a swing out cylinder it's bad on the gun to try and swing it closed like you see in movies so is there anything similar to the SAA that you shouldn't do such as spinning the cylinder while it's on half cock? I haven't done it myself but I am curious.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Uberti is a well made Italian Firearm. I've never heard any complaints. I have a Super Dakota .44Mag that I've had for over 30 years. The fit and finish are very good and it's a lot of fun to shoot. You should be able to find grips to fit if you buy it. Good Shooting!

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Spinning the cylinder, as done in the movies, is not a good idea. It is rough on the internal parts.

The easy way to end up with an empty chamber under tha hammer when loading is the following proceedure.

Bring the hammer back to the loading position, open the loading gate, load the first round, skip the next chamber, load the next four rounds, close the loading gate, bring the hammer to full cock, let the hammer down on the empty chamber (which should now be under the hammer).

Get the revolver, you will not regret it. By the way, what caliber is it?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I've spent 12 years gunsmithing for cowboys in competition and was a contract gunsmith for one of the importers who required "competition ready" cowboy firearms.

The Italian clones look like Colts, but they are NOT built like Colts. The metal quality of the hands and bolts are not close. The cylinder notches tend to peen over with less cycles than a Colt. But, a new Italian gun costs less than half what a Colt would cost...so you pays yer money and you get what you pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't own an SAA clone unless it was a USFA or STI. OTOH, if I wanted a great competition shooter, I'd probably buy a Ruger Vaquero. The Vaquero can be used as a framing hammer and then taken to a match on a weekend.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I own a pair of Uberti's Artillery model in .45 Colt. I like them.

My questions are it's my understanding these revolvers are built like a Colt correct Build like a Colt, but they are NOT Colt's! and that you should only load 5 rounds instead of 6 due to the gun not having a firing pin safety? Correct! SAAs with a firing pin should be loaded with 5, with the empty chamber under the hammer. Transfer-bar models can be loaded with 6.

Also will any set of grips fit this gun? The model I'm looking at is blued with case hardening and comes with plain wood grips. I would like to change the grips out for a set of Houge ebony. They should fit, but might require some fitting for the metal-to-wood alignment.

In terms of quality how does the Uberti stand compared to Ruger, Taurus, and obviously Colt? Ruger & Colt are at the top for quality by far. But as Manatee sez "you pays yer money and you get what you pay for". Both of mine together cost less than one Colt, and that makes me happy. But they aren't Colts.

Finally is there any do's and don't when handling and using a Single action? I know with a modern revolver with a swing out cylinder it's bad on the gun to try and swing it closed like you see in movies so is there anything similar to the SAA that you shouldn't do such as spinning the cylinder while it's on half cock? I haven't done it myself but I am curious.

I see no issues in merely spinning the cylinder at half cock, unless you pull the hammer back when it's spinning. The hand just bounces across the pawls on the cylinder, causing that distinctive clicking sound. If you pull the hammer back when the cylinder is spinning, the bolt will drag across the cylinder until it finds the notch (ouch!)

SAA's are a hoot. Find some black powder rounds for a real blast! :draw:

good shootin'

ol' poke.

sdunsworth

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Columbus
    I agree with the comments that "it's not a Colt" ... but if you're interested in trying a SAA, Uberti isn't a bad way to start. Inexpensive, yes, but you may find that you're not that into it. If, on the other hand, you do find it to be fun, you can always upgrade to a Colt or a Ruger.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I did old west reenacting for several years and while two of us carried Colt's, most everyone else carried various copies. They didn't seem to have much trouble in the ten years we were active. I had three Uberti SAA's and still have a Patterson, Walker, 51 Richards Conversion, Open Top, Henry, and 73 Carbine. I got rid of the SAA's with one going to my dad. The short bird's head SAA I had was one of the best shooting SAA's I ever fired. The only trouble I've ever experienced was spring failure. One broken trigger spring and one hand spring. Also one had an over sized star that I had to take down because it put the gun in a bind when the hand pushed up too hard on it. But all in all they aren't bad for the price. And I have seen a broken hand spring in a new Colt. One member of our group had a Vaquero that wouldn't shoot worth diddly so he replaced it with a Cimarron and really liked it.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Spinning the cylinder, as done in the movies, is not a good idea. It is rough on the internal parts.

The easy way to end up with an empty chamber under tha hammer when loading is the following proceedure.

Bring the hammer back to the loading position, open the loading gate, load the first round, skip the next chamber, load the next four rounds, close the loading gate, bring the hammer to full cock, let the hammer down on the empty chamber (which should now be under the hammer).

Get the revolver, you will not regret it. By the way, what caliber is it?

Thanks everyone who has commented so far! :D I went back to look at it today and I made a mistake on ID'ing the gun. It's not a Cattleman like I thought... but a "New Dakota". It's the model with a 4.75 inch barrel.

The caliber is 45 Long Colt. I decided to pass on it for now and my only reasoning was because it was only the gun with no box or paperwork and had some rust on the cylinder, hammer, and frame. Price was $499 and seemed pretty firm on it...so I am going to continue to look around.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've spent 12 years gunsmithing for cowboys in competition and was a contract gunsmith for one of the importers who required "competition ready" cowboy firearms.

The Italian clones look like Colts, but they are NOT built like Colts. The metal quality of the hands and bolts are not close. The cylinder notches tend to peen over with less cycles than a Colt. But, a new Italian gun costs less than half what a Colt would cost...so you pays yer money and you get what you pay for.

Personally, I wouldn't own an SAA clone unless it was a USFA or STI. OTOH, if I wanted a great competition shooter, I'd probably buy a Ruger Vaquero. The Vaquero can be used as a framing hammer and then taken to a match on a weekend.
    Manatee knows his stuff. I am very fond of the Rugers as well. I have some experience with SA revolvers and can tell you a Ruger SA should outlive you. I love Italian stuff, my wife is Italian, but my experience with Italian SA revolvers is the same as Manatee's. The metal is very soft and after a small amount of use, you will see the metal deform.
    0620131148a_zps6dedcd55.jpg

I also am a huge fan of the transfer bar safety, which all my Ruger and Taurus revolvers have.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Manatee knows his stuff. I am very fond of the Rugers as well. I have some experience with SA revolvers and can tell you a Ruger SA should outlive you. I love Italian stuff, my wife is Italian, but my experience with Italian SA revolvers is the same as Manatee's. The metal is very soft and after a small amount of use, you will see the metal deform.
    0620131148a_zps6dedcd55.jpg

I also am a huge fan of the transfer bar safety, which all my Ruger and Taurus revolvers have.

Yeah my main reasoning for liking the Uberti is because it lacks the transfer bar safety...just makes it seem more like a Colt to me. That sucks to hear about the steel being softer though.:(

Top Bottom