• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I've come to realize that this "kid leaves for college, empty-nesting crap" is for real now that the kiddo is out and on her own. So weird I raised her for 18 years, the last ten quite literally on my own. I'm a good (maybe better than good) dad, but frankly a fairly poor imitation of a mother. I spent this time raising her, preparing her to be the strong, opinionated outgoing woman that she is becoming, hell, has become, yet all the while I never gave an ounce of thought to what the hell I was going to do when she'd gone? I'd become used to her voice, the companionship and camaraderie with her and her "gang" of friends always in and out, eating every available piece of junk food in my house.

In contemplating this I've realized that I'd really like to have a dog, preferably a female German Shepard/Lab mix, even a rescue that was young-ish. But just what in blazes is the the scoop with people wanting $300 as a re-homing fee for a literal mutt that they only have due to their shortsightedness on spay and neutering? Hell, purebred dogs of some design go for that... have I said I want a dog?

Anybody know somebody?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Check with rescue groups, human society, etc.

A dog is a great thing. My were waiting for me at the door when I got home tonight, jumping on me and kissing me. At least I know they are always glad to see me home.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Dogs are great companions. Him/her will become your family.

As stated above, go to the humane society. Plenty of dogs needing a good home there.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I can see the need for a planned day off... I work during almost all business hours that most shelters are open. I have fostered before, but that is a double-edged sword. I get too attached and then WHAM, they're gone. Any suggestions of rescue websites? Some are scamtastic-looking, while others seem okay.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I can see the need for a planned day off... I work during almost all business hours that most shelters are open. I have fostered before, but that is a double-edged sword. I get too attached and then WHAM, they're gone. Any suggestions of rescue websites? Some are scamtastic-looking, while others seem okay.

I am a Basset Hound lover, so all I have is a site for them.

I am sure someone will be along to give more suggestions for Shepards. We have a lot of Shepard lovers here

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I fostered a Basset for a friend's mother for like 6 months way back in my twenties, great personality.

I really love all dogs, though the last two I've owned have me sold on the Shep/Lab mix, they are just so damned willing to please and are constant companions. My last, Effie, would go to work with me, fishing, camping (she even carried her load), steal my spot in bed just to mess with me, and was so athletic it was unbelievable. The mix seems to get the best of both breeds most of the time, without the things that are the downfalls of each breed. No bad hips, no fatties. I used to take her spelunking, tie on a light stick to the collar and let her rip! She once found a group of sorority girls in Buckner's who had only brought two flashlights, no water , and like one candle withe them. They made it to the submarine room before they ran out of light, how I do not know, and were huddled together crying in abject darkness. You'd have though Effie Jo was their angel...she brought one girl back to me, then led me back to them and all got out no worse for wear, though perhaps a bit dehydrated from crying a lot.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Check with rescue groups, human society, etc.

A dog is a great thing. My were waiting for me at the door when I got home tonight, jumping on me and kissing me. At least I know they are always glad to see me home.

This!! Every pup I have had has been a rescue/stray.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This!! Every pup I have had has been a rescue/stray.

Same here. I happen to think the heinz57 type dogs are the best. OP I think some of the fees that the rescue organizations charge are to raise the bar to make it less attractive to adopt a dog and then turn around and sell it, sometimes to labs using dogs in experiments.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My Brother-in-law fosters and has adopted a couple dogs just like you are interested in. The organization is called Heartland Rescue. If you are interested in more info shoot me a PM and I will get you in touch with the right person.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I've come to realize that this "kid leaves for college, empty-nesting crap" is for real now that the kiddo is out and on her own. So weird I raised her for 18 years, the last ten quite literally on my own. I'm a good (maybe better than good) dad, but frankly a fairly poor imitation of a mother. I spent this time raising her, preparing her to be the strong, opinionated outgoing woman that she is becoming, hell, has become, yet all the while I never gave an ounce of thought to what the hell I was going to do when she'd gone? I'd become used to her voice, the companionship and camaraderie with her and her "gang" of friends always in and out, eating every available piece of junk food in my house.

In contemplating this I've realized that I'd really like to have a dog, preferably a female German Shepard/Lab mix, even a rescue that was young-ish. But just what in blazes is the the scoop with people wanting $300 as a re-homing fee for a literal mutt that they only have due to their shortsightedness on spay and neutering? Hell, purebred dogs of some design go for that... have I said I want a dog?

Anybody know somebody?

I hear ya. $300 is absurd for a mutt. I got my current dog ~11 years ago. He's a mix of several shepherd breeds. He was a stray (probably dumped) and he literally plopped down on our doorstep, exhausted. No tags. I called the local shelter and asked what we needed to do. They said they'd have to come and get him and see if anyone claims him. If not after a week, I could adopt him. So that's what we did. $80 out the door, neutered, and vaxinated. He's been a great companion for us since. But he's getting pretty old now.

The thing about shepherds is hip dysplasia. Ours started having trouble after about 8 years old. He still gets around but he has good and bad days. I was told that about the only pure bread shepherds that don't have that problem are bread in Austria. That puts the cost, well, out of range probably.

I'd just go to the pound and see what they have to adopt. Spend some time with different dogs and see how they react to you and how you react to them.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    As stated above go to Petfinder. I looked on there Sunday night and there were a nice looking group of GSD on there at the Indy Rescue.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I hear ya. $300 is absurd for a mutt. I got my current dog ~11 years ago. He's a mix of several shepherd breeds. He was a stray (probably dumped) and he literally plopped down on our doorstep, exhausted. No tags. I called the local shelter and asked what we needed to do. They said they'd have to come and get him and see if anyone claims him. If not after a week, I could adopt him. So that's what we did. $80 out the door, neutered, and vaxinated. He's been a great companion for us since. But he's getting pretty old now.

The thing about shepherds is hip dysplasia. Ours started having trouble after about 8 years old. He still gets around but he has good and bad days. I was told that about the only pure bread shepherds that don't have that problem are bread in Austria. That puts the cost, well, out of range probably.

I'd just go to the pound and see what they have to adopt. Spend some time with different dogs and see how they react to you and how you react to them.
    Check out Rimadyl for your dog as a pain reliever for hip displasia. It made a world of difference for the last two years of our mutt's life. He acted like a pup at times after starting him on it. Full dosage may not be necessary. He was on less than half-dosage. I believe Novox is a generic form of Rimadyl.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Check out Rimadyl for your dog as a pain reliever for hip displasia. It made a world of difference for the last two years of our mutt's life. He acted like a pup at times after starting him on it. Full dosage may not be necessary. He was on less than half-dosage. I believe Novox is a generic form of Rimadyl.

I'll take a look at that. My wife found some kind of supplement, maybe that's it. I'll have to ask. Our vet had him on Dasuquin, and it was hard to tell the difference. But after we started him on whatever my wife found it has made a world of difference. Like you say, sometimes behaving like he used to. But he does have bad days sometimes, especially when it's cold/rainy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Go ahead and get your dog, wherever you can. There is a difference in pet stores where some do the right thing and others just have puppies disappear some night when they get too big and aren't cute anymore. Rescues are great as well. For me it was always about finding the right regardless of how I came across it. To put a shameless plug in for Golden Retrievers they really are the best dogs in the whole world, just saying.

Top Bottom