• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm surprised there's no more love for Toyota on here than just a couple of people. After all, they are built here in Indiana, or at least they used to be. Mine is an '01 daily driver w/276+k and minimal maintenance issues. I've gone about 130k per timing belt, which is a necessary repair to keep the interference engine alive long term. Other than that, a few pair of brake shoes, a few sets of tires, and basic fluid changes. I'd have no issue loading it down and heading to the west coast for a vacation with no worries.

If you happen to be a diesel fan, the new Tundra will be available with a Cummins as well. If you can get past the sticker shock, that thing should easily last a million miles, provided you just do basic maintenance.

Let's not forget that Chevy and GMC trucks are built in Fort Wayne and GM has plants in Bedford (truck engine heads and transmission cases) and Marion (metal fab plant).

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Let's not forget that Chevy and GMC trucks are built in Fort Wayne and GM has plants in Bedford (truck engine heads and transmission cases) and Marion (metal fab plant).

Understood. I'm originally from Kokomo, so I've seen first-hand the undying love of UAW products from many Hoosiers. The previous fourteen pages explicitly show support for the big three.
    I'm just surprised at the lack of support displayed for the "other" product built in Indiana is all.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I remember reading in DieselPower a long time that if you need a truck, get a one ton. If you have use for a truck, got a 3/4 ton. If you like the idea of a truck, get a half ton.

I have always kind of followed that advice. My previous three trucks were all one tons. The tow ratings have changed a lot on the newer stuff, and I have my first 1/2 ton truck. With the tow package, and built in brake controller, it tows everything I need. I still have a dually in case I have to move limestone though.:cool:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Understood. I'm originally from Kokomo, so I've seen first-hand the undying love of UAW products from many Hoosiers. The previous fourteen pages explicitly show support for the big three.
    I'm just surprised at the lack of support displayed for the "other" product built in Indiana is all.

:rolleyes: Kokomo is a little too Dodge.
    I made a delivery to Chrysler a few years back when I had my Silverado Crewcab. While driving behind the plant to
    shipping/receiving a "worker" setting his ass on a forklift yelled over to me that I should get that piece of **** out of there and buy a real truck.
    True story.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I made a delivery to Chrysler a few years back when I had my Silverado Crewcab. While driving behind the plant to
    shipping/receiving a "worker" setting his ass on a forklift yelled over to me that I should get that piece of **** out of there and buy a real truck.
    True story.

Should have told him that you have better things to do with your money than put some transmission shop owner's kids through college.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

True story.

A couple of years ago, the governor and his entourage made a visit to the Bedford GM plant. They showed up in Toyotas.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I remember reading in DieselPower a long time that if you need a truck, get a one ton. If you have use for a truck, got a 3/4 ton. If you like the idea of a truck, get a half ton.

A long time ago that may have been true. A modern half ton is more capable than a 3/4 ton of yesteryear, though. I've owned trucks ranging from a 1975 GMC 3/4 ton to an 2012 Ram 1500 and they've gotten a lot better over the years. The tow rating on my Ram is 10,500 lb. Brakes and suspensions are just a lot more capable than they used to be in the days of 15" rims, rear drums (or four wheel drums), leaf springs on all the corners, etc.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I won't name him, but I received a text over the weekend from a certain INGOer. He informed me that if I buy another jeep, truck, airplane or anything else, he will hunt me down and flatten all my tires.

So needless to say, I won't be buying anything before I get a baby :D

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Outside of the big three, I didn't even know there WERE other trucks. OH WAIT! "Other," I get it now
    View attachment 45572

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We've had 5 BMW's over the last 8 years or so.
    One lost to a wreck (other drivers fault), traded one in, an have the other 3 currently.

1 alternator, 1 fuel pump, 1 thermostat, 2 purge valves, 1 nav/dvd player and 1 starter.
    This doesn't include ware items like all other vehicles.

My truck has had a fuel pump, starter, brake lines, and a couple of issues with brake calipers.

Fuel pump was under warranty, everything else I replaced. They are easy to work on if you know how to turn a wrench and if you know where to look for parts - they are not as bad as some want to claim.

All that said, I love how they drive and how they hold up. But I'd stick with my Ford trucks.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm surprised there's no more love for Toyota on here than just a couple of people. After all, they are built here in Indiana, or at least they used to be. Mine is an '01 daily driver w/276+k and minimal maintenance issues. I've gone about 130k per timing belt, which is a necessary repair to keep the interference engine alive long term. Other than that, a few pair of brake shoes, a few sets of tires, and basic fluid changes. I'd have no issue loading it down and heading to the west coast for a vacation with no worries.

If you happen to be a diesel fan, the new Tundra will be available with a Cummins as well. If you can get past the sticker shock, that thing should easily last a million miles, provided you just do basic maintenance.

My uncle works at the Toyota plant...he bought a new to him Chevy when he was truck shopping a few years back.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I ran across a post on another forum about a "Three on the Tree". Now I want one... Maybe an old C10 or F100? Would be a fun cruiser and weekend work truck.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I ran across a post on another forum about a "Three on the Tree". Now I want one... Maybe an old C10 or F100? Would be a fun cruiser and weekend work truck.
    They are fun. I've not driven a truck with one, but have driven a couple cars with a 3 on the tree. Lots of fun. Most people, even older adults, have never done it or have any idea how to... Almost a lost art nowadays.

Top Bottom