• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Really nice concept. Leave it to aerospace engineers to pack alot into a pistol. Maybe we'll see more concept stuff come out, as they make money on these. I'm all for competition.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    YEARS ago I had something that looked a lot like that. I think it was an "Intra-Tec".

It was a .38spl in the same size frame, and it would litterally hurt your palm to fire it. It felt like someone smacked you in the palm with a hammer!

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    It looks cool, but have you seen the Bond Arms derringers? Check them out.

Some of my friends carry Bond derringers--mostly the ones who do the cowboy action shooting. They are well-made, heavy and thick, making them likely to be much more pleasant to shoot than the DoubleTap would be in the larger calibers, but for the size and weight of a Bond I could easily carry something with more than two [+ two] shots, like the new SA XDS in .45 ACP. The advantage of the Bond is the ability to shoot .410 shotgun shells for those folks who prefer those 00 buck loads.

The Bond derringer is very nice, indeed. I can also see a slightly different niche for the DoubleTap in regards to deep concealment however. :twocents:

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    very interesting but almost twice as much as my glock 22. Are they high?

I didn't make it to the SHOT Show this year so I haven't handled a DoubleTap yet, but a friend of mine who was able to go got to handle one. He is not impressed with derringers in general, but he does tool and die work and he was impressed with the fit and finish work. He said that titanium is difficult to work with, hence the higher cost of the Ti models, but he did think the aluminum models were a bit overpriced. Of course--all MSRP prices are generally quite a bit more than you end up paying. I believe the MSRP for the Glock 22 is almost as high as the non-ported Ti DoubleTap.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    That is a very cool looking piece of hardware. The pricetag is admittedly very high, but for someone who wants an ultra concealable gut gun in .45 it's hard to think of anything else that fits the bill quite as well. If it were $200, I might just do it based on looks alone!

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I didn't make it to the SHOT Show this year so I haven't handled a DoubleTap yet, but a friend of mine who was able to go got to handle one. He is not impressed with derringers in general, but he does tool and die work and he was impressed with the fit and finish work. He said that titanium is difficult to work with, hence the higher cost of the Ti models, but he did think the aluminum models were a bit overpriced. Of course--all MSRP prices are generally quite a bit more than you end up paying. I believe the MSRP for the Glock 22 is almost as high as the non-ported Ti DoubleTap.
    sorry i should have told all, my glock 22 was used for $352. technically a ported titanium might just cost twice as much.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    That is a very cool looking piece of hardware. The pricetag is admittedly very high, but for someone who wants an ultra concealable gut gun in .45 it's hard to think of anything else that fits the bill quite as well. If it were $200, I might just do it based on looks alone!
    if it was two hundred, i would buy one and the spare barrels.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    NEW Leinad D Single Barrel Derringer 45/410 Judge : Single Shot Pistols at GunBroker.com
    i would think this is just as good of a choice and you can buy six of them for the same price.

:dunno: I'm pretty sure you're not serious, but...

I had one of the single-barrel versions. Got it for $20 from a local auctioneer doing an estate sale since it was the only gun and he didn't want to have to call in an FFL dealer. Very cheap zinc cast construction. Rather like comparing a Rohrbaugh to a Lorcin...:twocents:

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    :dunno: I'm pretty sure you're not serious, but...

I had one of the single-barrel versions. Got it for $20 from a local auctioneer doing an estate sale since it was the only gun and he didn't want to have to call in an FFL dealer. Very cheap zinc cast construction. Rather like comparing a Rohrbaugh to a Lorcin...:twocents:
    actually i wasnt, i dont know anything about them. they just look like the might be fun. and hell if it breaks, it was 72 dollars throw it in the trash and find something else to do.

Top Bottom