• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Better question: Also, why didn't you physically get in your car, and call the cops then? You said you were about to. Drawing was always taught to me as the last possible route before death, and I would have handed him everything except the gun that is my lifeline, while attempting to gather as many details as possible. He leaves with his swag, I leave with my life. Go back in the gas station call 911 with the description of my car, name, license, car contents, etc. I think we needed the expanded version.

Seriously though, Glad you are ok. Just trying to gain insight.

op you did a good job imo...I would not have gave him anything. I would have reacted the exact same way as the op. what is the point in carrying a gun if your going to leave it holstered when you need it the most? how do you know after he takes all your stuff that he is just going to give up and walk away. what makes you think he will just leave a witness behind.

a friend of mine about 4 years ago was robbed on the east side at a liquor store. he did just as you recommended and gave up everything. the guy turned around to leave took about 5 steps, turned back around and shot him 4 times in the chest. your already at a disadvantage as he has the element of surprise in his favor.

to each there own and do what makes you feel comfortable but I some dirt bag is already trying to rob you, there is a good possibility they are willing to go further and hurt you. I work to hard for what little I have to give it to some piece so ****.

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    Better question: Also, why didn't you physically get in your car, and call the cops then? You said you were about to. Drawing was always taught to me as the last possible route before death, and I would have handed him everything except the gun that is my lifeline, while attempting to gather as many details as possible. He leaves with his swag, I leave with my life. Go back in the gas station call 911 with the description of my car, name, license, car contents, etc. I think we needed the expanded version.

I completely understand the last possible route and I'd hate to be that guy who says "if that were me, I'd do this" but I would do the same exact thing. Why would you get into your if you are not completely sure the BG is not armed?

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Exactly!!! I carry a gun to prevent myself from being robbed, hurt, or even killed.. I will hold someone at gun point until the police arrive for any reason (as long as i am justified). I mean if i would have gotten in my car, the last time i checked windows are easily broken he very easily could have still shot me, broke the window then stabbed me or who knows what else!

op you did a good job imo...I would not have gave him anything. I would have reacted the exact same way as the op. what is the point in carrying a gun if your going to leave it holstered when you need it the most? how do you know after he takes all your stuff that he is just going to give up and walk away. what makes you think he will just leave a witness behind.

a friend of mine about 4 years ago was robbed on the east side at a liquor store. he did just as you recommended and gave up everything. the guy turned around to leave took about 5 steps, turned back around and shot him 4 times in the chest. your already at a disadvantage as he has the element of surprise in his favor.

to each there own and do what makes you feel comfortable but I some dirt bag is already trying to rob you, there is a good possibility they are willing to go further and hurt you. I work to hard for what little I have to give it to some piece so ****.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011

Exactly.... It doesn't make much sense to rely on the goodwill of a thug willing to rob you.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Don't get my wrong it wasn't like i was completely calm. I was very nervous and my hand were shaking a bit Lol

In that case you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to fire.
    I mean if you dont want to shoot the guy, and that's what you decided to do, you dont want to shoot him by accident because you were shaking.
    Put your hand on the trigger only when you want to shoot, not just when you think you may have to shoot.

Just my :twocents:, other than that you did good.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I constantly practice drawing my gun, shooting one handed so that way i can properly hold my gun in one hand and something else (cell phone) in the other.. I had one in the chamber (15 more in the clip) pointed at his chest and finger on the trigger, so if he reached in and pulled out a weapon i was ready to control the situation

Practicing one handed is good practice, which I engage in. Practicing transition from two hand grip to pulling my iPhone out of my pocket, swiping the slider, and hitting the emergency call button without taking my eyes off my sight picture is something I am going to need to incorporate. Frankly, I always figured there would be a bystander to make the call to the police. See, I learned something useful.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I do agree that the finger on the trigger may not have been the best option but you can't do everything perfect in this situation.

In that case you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to fire.
    I mean if you dont want to shoot the guy, and that's what you decided to do, you dont want to shoot him by accident because you were shaking.
    Put your hand on the trigger only when you want to shoot, not just when you think you may have to shoot.

Just my :twocents:, other than that you did good.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Well in most cases there most likely would be a bystander, but you CAN NOT rely on that always happening.. this is why you must be prepared for many different situations!

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    I constantly practice drawing my gun, shooting one handed so that way i can properly hold my gun in one hand and something else (cell phone) in the other.. I had one in the chamber (15 more in the clip) pointed at his chest and finger on the trigger, so if he reached in and pulled out a weapon i was ready to control the situation

Your Glock takes clips? What caliber is that?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I do agree that the finger on the trigger may not have been the best option but you can't do everything perfect in this situation.

I know that, I dont want to sound rude when I tell you that and it's easy for me to say that since I was not there.
    It's just something we can talk about afterwards and that you can work on your training.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County

In Indiana you have the right to protect yourself and your property. Just sayin'.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Where do you carry and what kind of holster? Just wanting gain some insight not tearing your story apart.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    I do agree, thank you for pointing that out.. I just wasn't thinking about that in the heat of the situation.

I know that, I dont want to sound rude when I tell you that and it's easy for me to say that since I was not there.
    It's just something we can talk about afterwards and that you can work on your training.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Today in Logansport i was at the gas station, just went in for a coke.. I came out and as i was about to get in my car a guy walked out from behind the gas station and said "Give me your money and i wont hurt you"......
    I was thinking who does this douche bag think he is?............... So i instantly drew my Glock out and yelled step back, his eyes got HUGE :n00b: and he backed up, as soon as i got my phone out to call the police he took off running.. Glad i had my Glock!!!!

:bow:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks for answering me. You see, i've never been in such a situation, and when playing it out in my head, I'm never quite sure if it would be best to keep my finger off the trigger and only put it on the trigger when im ready for a bang. Or if i should put my finger on the trigger and be more ready.

as far as where its pointed, should one point it at the ground in the direction of the BG to get your point across, or do you go for broke aim for the chest and go from there.

.....I need to get some training

Top Bottom