• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If and when you do point the gun it is a last ditch attempt to gain control. Everything else has went south for you until then and things only escalate from there. Sloughfoot makes a good point. If you do have to "Point" it, you are now getting desperate. In this day of drugs and desperation BG is running on a high and will read you, push you and they will have a feeling of if you will or will not use the gun.
    Glad you are OK.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You are missing my point.

I am glad that you didn't have to stop the threat with a bullet. Perhaps there is a self defense trainer that can explain better than I do, how what you say after the event, determines the long term outcome.

In my experience, every time I have pointed a firearm at somebody, I was acutely aware that I was not in control. I did articulate what my response would be if the other person did not alter their behavior. But it is the other person that determines the outcome, not me.

I think you do not understand that he could have kept on coming even though you had that "magic wand" pointed at him. Many people don't care because they have been shot, or shot at, before and a gun pointed at them does not impress them too much.

He may not been afraid of the gun in your hand, just the attention that your gun might bring to passersby.

Regards

Crackheads won't always stop at the display of a firearm...I believe deep down inside of me I would have done the same, however had the guy kept coming I showed my firearm and told him to stop, his probability of getting shot goes up. If he pulls out a weapon, especially while continuously approaching me, he will be shot.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    props to u op. i would have done the same. but for future reference. try to find idpa shoot in your area. you will learn gun safety and handling. differnt scenerio shoots. learning to shoot under pressure. and on top of that off. its a really good time too. many people will help u wth technique. i go every week. and alway learn sothing

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Ops, thank you for carrying, and providing a fine real life example of the very reason we carry. I am very surprised someone would try to rob you at that station, it is always busy, and the cops stop by that spot on a regular basis.

How was your interaction with the officer that responded? Could you tell us more about that?

Not having any training myself, I too would have had my finger on the trigger, and probably would have been shakin like a jitterbug myself. Obviously the whole lack of training aspect of your encounter shows that even though we all have a permit to carry, many of us have had no kind of training to help refine motor skills, and develop better crisis thinking skills. ( NOT saying you were lacking at all, I have no issues with your encounter)

When such a situation is posted online, I really have no problem with people nit picking an encounter such as this. It is a shame that people do not take the time to construct their discussion in such a manner that is not an accusation of doing/performing wrong, rather than framing in such a way that promotes discussion.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You will always have armchair quarterbacks. You should have done this, I would have done this, "WHATEVER". Until you are in a situation like that, you'll never really know how you will react. I would have done the same thing. As soon as I hear words such as "I'll hurt you". That is a threat of bodily harm.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    The cop just asked for his description, what exactly happened, what i did and said, what the perp did and said, that kind of stuff.. He said he was going to try to get some security cam footage, but he called me today and said they didnt have any from the side of the store where i was located..

james.bryant88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    You will always have armchair quarterbacks. You should have done this, I would have done this, "WHATEVER". Until you are in a situation like that, you'll never really know how you will react. I would have done the same thing. As soon as I hear words such as "I'll hurt you". That is a threat of bodily harm.

I completely agree with you statements, its easy to say oh you could have done this or i would have done that. But at the end of the day when you feel threatened you feel threatened, and you must do what you have to do to make yourself feel safe. Every person has a different perception of what a threat is or what makes them feel in a threatening position. He did what he was supposed to do for him, he is alive, he did not break any laws, and he lives to go on another day.
    Training can help you better understand potential threats and what risks they pose to you. At the end of the day training is just that training, and when things really start going bad and your adrenalin gets pumping you just hope your training takes over and you make good decisions. Speaking from experience you never know how someone will react in a high pressure situation until they are there and bullets are flying at you and your friends, or someone is trying to rob you, etc...
    He is alive, most important thing. Great Job

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    op you did a good job imo...I would not have gave him anything. I would have reacted the exact same way as the op. what is the point in carrying a gun if your going to leave it holstered when you need it the most? how do you know after he takes all your stuff that he is just going to give up and walk away. what makes you think he will just leave a witness behind.

a friend of mine about 4 years ago was robbed on the east side at a liquor store. he did just as you recommended and gave up everything. the guy turned around to leave took about 5 steps, turned back around and shot him 4 times in the chest. your already at a disadvantage as he has the element of surprise in his favor.

to each there own and do what makes you feel comfortable but I some dirt bag is already trying to rob you, there is a good possibility they are willing to go further and hurt you. I work to hard for what little I have to give it to some piece so ****.
    Grunt Soldier is right on. I had a similar experience back in 2003 but shots were exchanged. I was on vacation in Fla. The BG wen't to the hospital and I was not charged. Plenty of witnesses. I carry a Colt Detective special-125 gr. jhp. Best regards

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I completely agree with you statements, its easy to say oh you could have done this or i would have done that. But at the end of the day when you feel threatened you feel threatened, and you must do what you have to do to make yourself feel safe. Every person has a different perception of what a threat is or what makes them feel in a threatening position. He did what he was supposed to do for him, he is alive, he did not break any laws, and he lives to go on another day.
    Training can help you better understand potential threats and what risks they pose to you. At the end of the day training is just that training, and when things really start going bad and your adrenalin gets pumping you just hope your training takes over and you make good decisions. Speaking from experience you never know how someone will react in a high pressure situation until they are there and bullets are flying at you and your friends, or someone is trying to rob you, etc...
    He is alive, most important thing. Great Job

They always told us if you feel threatened, draw. It's better to deal with what comes afterward, then not draw and possibly be hurt or worse killed. I received a lot of good training in the Coast Guard that I'm thankful to have received. Training will not solve every problem, but it's a very important component to SD.

"It's better to tried by twelve then carried by six."

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Four or five years back. A friend of my Dads was at Rural King. He was walking back to his truck and got approached by three guys. The lead guy had a knife, and said, "I'm going to cut your throat, and take you nice new truck old man". He pulled his .38 snub that he always carried. The guy with the knife said he was just joking and they ran off. An off duty LEO saw it happen and called it it. My Dads friend was a retired LEO. He had dealt with a lot of scum bags. He told the off duty LEO that he would have shot everyone of them if it would have came down to it. Even if the knife was not visible. Just the words "I'll cut your throat", is reason enough to draw down. This all happened in broad day light.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    a guy walked out from behind the gas station and said "Give me your money and i wont hurt you"

did someone try to rob you and threaten your life while doing so - YES

Did you use your weapon that you carry for Personal protection to stop situations like this (robbery and the threat of bodily harm)- Yes

Did you call the police and file a report - Yes.

Do you still have your life - Yes

NICE JOB MY BROTHA! Screw the interviewers. You did not pull the trigger because you did not have too. Was your finger on the trigger? Hell YES... I mean if you didn't have your finger on the trigger after someone threatens your life or threatens you with bodily harm of an unknown degree then when will you put the finger on the trigger? Will you say -- "If you actually do hurt me I will be forced to place my finger on the trigger".

NO... You did it just right IMHO.

IC 35-41-1-7
    "Deadly force"
    Sec. 7. "Deadly force" means force that creates a substantial risk

IC 35-41-1-11
    "Forcible felony"
    Sec. 11. "Forcible felony" means a felony that involves the use or threat of force against a human being, or in which there is imminent danger of bodily injury to a human being.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The cop just asked for his description, what exactly happened, what i did and said, what the perp did and said, that kind of stuff.. He said he was going to try to get some security cam footage, but he called me today and said they didnt have any from the side of the store where i was located..

i looked at the police reports a few minutes ago online, nothing there. they often don't print this kinda stuff, don't wanna inform the sheeple, i guess. sorry if i missed the answer, but i was curious about what time of day it was, for my own reference. i will always practice situational awareness, of course.

qb1sho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    McCordsville, IN
    I think we can all agree that it was an unfortunate situation and we are glad that no one was hurt especially the OP. :yesway:

Too bad the aggressor was not caught but maybe, just maybe, this interaction will scare him enough that he will not try it on ANYONE again!

Take care OP, glad you came home to your loving family.

james.bryant88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    They always told us if you feel threatened, draw. It's better to deal with what comes afterward, then not draw and possibly be hurt or worse killed. I received a lot of good training in the Coast Guard that I'm thankful to have received. Training will not solve every problem, but it's a very important component to SD.

"It's better to tried by twelve then carried by six."

Its better to be alive then dead is my way of looking at it, you only have one chance at it so if you hesitate you it may be your last.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    OP did the right thing =-= Kudos to you for drawing (*finger on trigger or not*)
    You suspended what could of been a very bad situation, into something that kept you alive and well -- shaken yes, but well.
    I could only hope that i would of done it so good. Also, a REP for you for telling us the truth about it...non-embellishment of the story, just the facts and the good/n/bad.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    It might have already been said in these post somewhere, but where did this happen in Logansport? My mother in law lives there and we visit there about once every couple of months. I know it can happen anywhere, but would like to let my MIL know it took place and where so she is either aware of her surrondings or avoid that area. Maybe she will understand why I carry when she hears about this happen "close to home" for her.

Top Bottom