• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I thought that the Regime was being obtuse, but...

In Arabic, the group is known as Al-Dawla Al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham, or the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham. The term “al-Sham” refers to a region stretching from southern Turkey through Syria to Egypt (also including Lebanon, Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan). The group’s stated goal is to restore an Islamic state, or caliphate, in this entire area.

Actually that is very close to what was once referred to as the Ottoman Empire. Which also conquered southeastern Europe, while the Moors (north African muslims) conquered southwestern Europe, which precipitated the "_______". You fill in the blank. See 0bama is right Christians are just as bad as cult of violence terrorists. Whoever they may be?

ISIS or ISIL? The debate over what to call Iraq?s terror group - The Washington Post

So it seems that the proper acronym in English of their stated goal would actually be ISIL.

I wonder if the muslim in the white house is in total agreement even possibly complicit with their stated goal.

Oh! he has a coalition against ISIL, 3 or 4 countries as opposed to Bush's 47 or so, but, I keep forgetting Bush was the worst President ever.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've heard both and I think you are right...ISIL (L for Levant) is the groups stated objective. I think the media is more found of ISIS (Iraq-Syria) as it doesn't make this organization look nearly as ambitious. Sort of the "J-V" team Obummer was talking about in one of his speeches.

While most of America is tuned out and more interested in who will be the next Bachelor, I think it is in some part due to the assumption that IS is only operating in Iraq and Syria...countries that have long had problems and are probably always going to have problems. If the general public realized that ISIL has much larger ambitions for literally world domination, then they might actually perk up and urge our leaders to do something about it.

Right now its a nice media circus. Serious enough to provide daily updates so as to sell plenty of web traffic ads on their websites, and enough to get people to 1/2 way listen to the evening news.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ISIS needs to move into Saudi Arabia. The Saudis are behind most of all the terrorists today.
    They have spent decades and billions of dollars exporting their extremism, it's high time they were on the receiving end of the attacks from extremists they funded and created.
    They made this monster, sucks for them they made it too well and they are more dangerous than their creators.
    Dr. Frankenstein your table is waiting.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It could be that it's just because the first name (at least it was the first name I'd heard them called) was the one to stick.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I wonder which is righ ISIL or ISIS
    MSTB - Murderous Scumbag Terrorist Butcher.

And NOT 'freedom fighters', to which some libtards allude. They are not 'fighting for freedom', nor have they ever done so. They're butchering all who disagree with their objective of world domination.

Eliminate the problem.

I prefer CIA since thats who started and funds them
    Absolutely, completely, totally false. Even a cursory perusal of history for the last 14.5 centuries amply clarifies that ludicrous fallacy.

Oh, and IBTL! :laugh:

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    In Jordan they are simply called something that falls sort of between "Dash" and "Die-eesh" in pronunciation.

Bingo! This is what they should be called. I have a very good friend who is a 1/2 Palestinian 1/2 Jordanian Christian. He says the word Daesh and is pronounced a lot like you have in your post. I think his version like DIE- esh! with an emphasis on the first syllable.
    It apparently translates to something about trampling underfoot, which of course is an insult. So yep, that is what they should be called. Jordan is looking really awsome at this point. Kudos to the wife and her kin

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It apparently translates to something about trampling underfoot, which of course is an insult. So yep, that is what they should be called. Jordan is looking really awsome at this point. Kudos to the wife and her kin

I asked my wife just now and she said it comes from the root word for "to stomp on something" so it sounds like they are on the same page. I'd never stopped to think to ask what it meant...in typical Western fashion I just figured it was an acronym.

Top Bottom