• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well, I'm embarrassed to admit that I sent a 155 grain 10mm Speer TMJ straight through my ProChrono Digital last month, due to pulling the shot downward.
    I've already replaced the chronograph (it was marked down enough on Amazon, and I had a gift card that made it actually a touch cheaper than sending in the old unit for $60 plus shipping both ways) and will keep the shot unit for a probable future repair/replacement, but I had an idea that would make it impossible to ever repeat my mistake.
    I was thinking about a toy I had when I was but a wee lad that consisted of a cardboard tube with two right angles and two mirrors that made for a decent quality periscope.
    My idea is to protect the chronograph with a downward-angled AR500 steel plate mounted a few inches in front of the display of the unit, completely blocking any possibility of bullet strike, with two angled mirrors mounted directly below the plate in an arrangement and positioned such that the display will be visible in the lower mirror.
    I'm pretty sure that lighting would be an issue with this arrangement, but it would be a simple matter to attach a small LED lamp for illumination directly pointed at the LCD display.
    The end result would be that I would have to look downward a few inches lower than normal, but it would also 100% guarantee that I'd have no more mishaps.
    Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions regarding the viability of this idea?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    As a person who's had to build cages/structures to bounce projectors off mirrors, I would advise you not to go down this rabbit hole. It could be done, but it seems to me that it would either be very expensive and complicated to make the mirrors adjust on all the necessary planes, or it would severely limit the placement of the chronograph and/or your position. I'd either 1. get a chrono with a remote and armor as necessary or 2. mount a camera behind the ar500. Option 2 can also be a "shot cam."
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/423416-another-wireless-shotcam.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/356523-my-wireless-shot-cam.html
    or even a baby camera if you don't need much range: DCS 825L Wi-Fi Baby Camera | D-Link

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The deflector sounds like it would work but yes the down side is covering up the display. The solution you ask?

You could purchase the bluetooth addon for the ProChrono and it will transmit all the data to your smartphone for instant viewing on the shooting bench. You can also send the data via email to a home computer for later analysis. Very handy and worth it imo. "Don't leave home without it".

ProChrono Bluetooth Adaptor

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the idea on the camera.
    I could definitely find a way to mount an inexpensive camera (Bluetooth-linkable to my laptop?) behind an AR500 plate.
    Straight-shooter, as for the idea on the adapter you mentioned, it does nothing whatsoever to protect the chronograph, plus I'm one of those oddballs who absolutely refuse to have a smartphone, and no, that's non-negotiable.
    I despise those damn things.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Thanks for the idea on the camera.
    I could definitely find a way to mount an inexpensive camera (Bluetooth-linkable to my laptop?) behind an AR500 plate.

I know my GoPro Hero3 will do that wirelessly (not via Bluetooth), but they're not cheap. There are probably cheaper alternatives.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Yeah, I saw that one, and it would definitely be the way to go for someone clocking guns on a professional level, but (as you observed) terribly expensive.

I'm certainty not buying one either.

But I just thought of one other use for this one is someone that does have access to an outdoor range where you can set up a traditional chronograph. You could use at an indoor range.

In fact that would be a pretty good service for a indoor range to sell. Have one bay set up with one of these to use for an additional fee. You'd pay for it in no time.

Top Bottom