• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    So I plan on Hunting sometime this year for the first time. I plan on going after coyotes at first, than hopefully deer. So I assume that I would need some kind of camo. Honestly I know nothing about what camo I need. would any camo be okay?

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Just use something that breaks up your outline. Mossy oak, real tree. Just dont feel like you need to spend big $$$ on it. Ive killed deer and coyotes using brown Carhartt overalls before. The trick is to scout out your hunting spot before you go and staying still and quiet.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I am an ASAT guy for camo. I agree with hemi in breaking up your outline. I would add keeping your movement down and playing the wind.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I like to avoid "sticks and twigs" camo.

I like the abstract patterns ... Natural Gear, Predator, ASAT, GroundSwat, OptiFade, etc. I personally think they are more "effective" than bark, sticks, and leaves. They seem to confuse an animals eyes a little more ... or that is what my logic tells me based on time in the field.

But really holding still with a broken up outline is probably the biggest key to any camo pattern working.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My personal favorite is the leafy suit idea. The little leaves move in the wind just like real ones do, and if you stay still you blend in almost perfectly.

Something like this is what I use, and I love it: RedHead®

No matter what you use, good luck and enjoy the hunting season!!

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Last time I went hunting with my BIL I wore USMC woodland MARPAT (rank and name tapes removed of course :)) and he couldn't find me from 10' away in the woods. It works well!

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Just use something that breaks up your outline. Mossy oak, real tree. Just dont feel like you need to spend big $$$ on it. Ive killed deer and coyotes using brown Carhartt overalls before. The trick is to scout out your hunting spot before you go and staying still and quiet.

scouting to see whats in the area? I've walked the land a couple times.

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I think camo becomes a personal preference just like guys who like Ford or Chevy. In the end, any type of camo that blends with your surroundings and breaks up your outline, will do the trick. I personally like Mossy Oak Infinity. Does that mean that Realtree patterns aren't as good? Heck no... These days, camo looks as realistic as it ever has... so the pattern isn't the issue. The issue is going to be what type of clothing works best for you? Zip up jacket, pull over wind breaker, soft material pants, or a "jean-like" material. Ball cap or stocking cap...? It's all a personal thing.

The most important thing is this... Enjoy the outdoors no matter what you wear.... just have fun and enjoy God's creation!

1forguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    all is preference as you can see. mainly something to blend to the area and break up your outline is what you want to be on the watch for.

knoxace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I have a mesh suit that fits over anything , so if its hot or cold im set . its real tree with the little leafs that help break up your profile . you can find them for less than 50 $ .
    Boots are something you need to think about more . rubber , comfortable and insulated but not to warm . you can always wear thicker socks if it is real cold .

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Camo is a personal choice. I think just about any camo will work if you use the right pattern. Meaning that an arctic suit(snow and such) won't really work in a pine forest. just the same as realtree green might not be the best choice in say, a desert setting. I'm not one to buy a new camo suit every year. I use the same suit untill it wears out. If it breaks up your outline, the deer and yotes don't really care how new it is or how much it cost.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    When I gun/muzzleloader hunt I almost always hunt on the ground. I use a ghillie suit usually in woodland camo colors, but i cusomize it depending on what the the foiliage looks like when gun and muzzleloader come in, and where im hunting. or if there is snow a snow camo pattern. They have worked pretty well the past few seasons plus "tweaking the suit" adds to the fun of preparing for a hunt.

Like everyone else has said its a matter of personsal preference they all work pretty well. When im in the trees though during archery its realtree apg all the way.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Spend more money on staying warm than what the manufacturer says about being "invisible" Deer see movement more than anything, sit still in a pattern to break up your outline, you can't sit still if you aren't warm and dry.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Leafy suit for yotes, realtree AP for deer hunting and realtree AP Green for Turkey season. All have worked well for me and can be found relatively cheap.

Basspro has some Realtree AP BDU pants for 15.97 now. They also have some fairly cheap insulated bibs and jackets.

I really like the expensive stuff like under armor and scent blocker since it looks super comfortable but I am too cheap. I would rather have more gear and knives...etc.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom