• ...and so much more!
  • baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Just checked my email and saw this. :yesway:

"Undoubtedly the overwhelming response that the IDNR and NRC received about the original "deer proposal" has caused them to rethink their plan.

The IDNR withdrew the whole proposal at the November 16th NRC meeting. They will formulate a new deer proposal package and present it at the January NRC meeting. The time constraints pretty well make it impossible to have any new deer regulations for the 2011 season

Since the IDNR is now looking at a host of changes, now is the time to give the IDNR some POSITIVE ideas on what to do.

You can contact the IDNR Fish and Wildlife at:

dfwinput@dnr.in.gov

If you want to contact someone directly in the IDNR you just need to type in thier first initial, last name and @dnr.IN.gov

EXAMPLES:

IDNR Director Rob Carter - rcarter@dnr.IN.gov

Fish and Wildlife Director Mark Reiter - MREITER@dnr.IN.gov

Mitch Marcus - MMarcus@dnr.IN.gov

Deer Research biologist - Chad Stewart - cstewart@dnr.In.gov

I doubt very seriously if the DNR will backtrack again so this next proposal will probably be it. So, get your two cents worth in now."

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Where is the other thread? BTW this is great news!

+1 for getting positive recommendations to the DNR.

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    You gave deer management to the politicians......... enjoy the results!

Many times IDNR told the public this was a plan to reduce the deer herd as requested by the legislature. It was twisted by a few individuals who had motives that really didn't effect the general deer hunter.

I was one of the stakeholder representatives, I own over 1000 acres of prime deer habitat. I have taken trophy deer LONG before the One Buck Rule. I have been to many committee meetings in the legislature protecting the deer herd in Indiana from legislative interference as well as other hunting and fishing issues. What I learned from this is that the general every day hunter doesn't give a "rats butt" about anything past his gun sights. We now have to get approval from the legislature for any changes to deer regs.

In the future "I'll take care of my own", I hope you all watch the IDNR as well as the Indiana Legislature, they will determine your fate.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County

Many times IDNR told the public this was a plan to reduce the deer herd as requested by the legislature. It was twisted by a few individuals who had motives that really didn't effect the general deer hunter.

I was one of the stakeholder representatives, I own over 1000 acres of prime deer habitat. I have taken trophy deer LONG before the One Buck Rule. I have been to many committee meetings in the legislature protecting the deer herd in Indiana from legislative interference as well as other hunting and fishing issues. What I learned from this is that the general every day hunter doesn't give a "rats butt" about anything past his gun sights. We now have to get approval from the legislature for any changes to deer regs.

In the future "I'll take care of my own", I hope you all watch the IDNR as well as the Indiana Legislature, they will determine your fate.

Spoken like a true politician, ulterior motives and all.

Well, unlike you, i enjoy harvesting a 115" buck just as much as i do a 150". I hunt for meat, and get just as much of a rush taking a 95lb doe as i do taking a nice buck.

The reason "your" plan failed in my opinion was that the "general every day hunter" enjoys being in the woods as much as they can. You say you own 1000 acres, good for you, do with it as you please. But others don't have that luxury and most will be happy getting any deer, not just a record book buck. Shortening the seasons means hunters will take less deer, resulting in more deer not less.

Next time you and a few buddys want to "help" fellow hunters, you might want to get their opinions first and stop trying to feed all those "general every day hunters" a line of :poop: and try being honest. :twocents:

Last edited:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    The main reason those rules got as far as they did is lobbing power. The Indiana bowhunters is a very strong group. They are out to advance bowhunting. If you look at the members on the round table the gun hunters are not well represented.

I'm a big bow hunter but I thought the rule change sucked and was unfair.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Let me guess: "General every day hunter" = "gun hunter?"

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Well, unlike you, i enjoy harvesting a 115" buck just as much as i do a 150". I hunt for meat, and get just as much of a rush taking a 95lb doe as i do taking a nice buck.

good you should stick to killing does since you cant eat horns anyways im sure you wont mind. any one with any hunting knowlege what so ever can shoot a doe and fill there freezer so that should not be a problem for you right? just leave the buck hunting to folks who care about conservation and think past the end of the day.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    good you should stick to killing does since you cant eat horns anyways im sure you wont mind. any one with any hunting knowlege what so ever can shoot a doe and fill there freezer so that should not be a problem for you right? just leave the buck hunting to folks who care about conservation and think past the end of the day.

Care about conservation or just want to grow trophy deer?

I'm more of an archery hunter than a gun hunter. I spent +/- 40 days a year in the stand. We put out three food plots a year, about 9 acres. I agree that we need to even out the buck to doe ratio, but cutting gun season by 50% is ludacris if you "conservationists" want to reduce the deer population.

Even adding the "doe only" seasons will not do much in my opinion. Early october is warm, many wont want to take a deer when the temps are in the 70's. And adding another late season hunt would probably have the same harvest results as muzzleloader season.

You said it yourself, leave the "BUCK" hunting to the conservationists. That to me sounds line the "conservationists" are getting to commercialized and caught up in the giant buck mentality. Lets try teaching the next gereration to love hunting for what it is. Spending time in nature with good friends and good times. What your teaching them is that if they dont kill a 150" giant they're not "real" hunters.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    We have to remember these groups like the IDHA, and IBO are like hemorrhoids, they go away for awhile, but they'll be back. They don't take being defeated very well. They will have to be watched VERY closely or we'll be going thru this same old crap next year. They will not rest until us "common folk" understand and accept how superior they and their ideas really are.

jbwhitetail's post should make it perfectly clear how arrogant they are. Notice all the I, I, I, I 's? Kinda narsisstic huh?:yesway: Next they'll be saying the only reason the proposed changes were rejected was because they did a bad job of explaining it to the hunting community.:laugh:

:yesway:+1 and a rep to baldguy!:yesway:

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN

I'm more of an archery hunter than a gun hunter. I spent +/- 40 days a year in the stand. We put out three food plots a year, about 9 acres. I agree that we need to even out the buck to doe ratio, but cutting gun season by 50% is ludacris if you "conservationists" want to reduce the deer population.

Even adding the "doe only" seasons will not do much in my opinion. Early october is warm, many wont want to take a deer when the temps are in the 70's. And adding another late season hunt would probably have the same harvest results as muzzleloader season.

You said it yourself, leave the "BUCK" hunting to the conservationists. That to me sounds line the "conservationists" are getting to commercialized and caught up in the giant buck mentality. Lets try teaching the next gereration to love hunting for what it is. Spending time in nature with good friends and good times. What your teaching them is that if they dont kill a 150" giant they're not "real" hunters.

I agree I am hunting with my 14 year old daughter She wants to harvest a buck that is at least 130 inches this year. We eat some of the meat but hunting for the big rack is more what we do. I have taught her being ethical is more important than deer harvest. She has missed a nice 9 point 2 times once with the bow and once with her gun. She had the deer dead to rights on opening weekend of gun season but it was on the neighbors side of the fence. She watched that deer in the scope for 20 minutes hoping it would jump the fence and it never did. She has seen this deer 3 other times but just not able to make the shot. Time spent in the woods is what it is all about the thrill of the hunt as you match wits with your prey.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

you do all that to harvest a 115 inch buck? i believe that if folks would let 115 inch bucks walk there would be better hunting for everyone. i believe if we could draw in out of state hunters and get out of state fees we would have more money for programs that help conserve the hunting heritage. i believe that the way we do hunting now that indiana will never have the reputation for being a trophy whitetail state. i believe that the one buck rule wasa huge step in the right direction and that shorter seasons would be a plus.

i do not believe that indiana needs less deer our farming areas can support alot more deer than they do.

also i agree that a kid should take a basket rack if thats the first thing he/she sees. i waqs atacking your position on the "im a meat only hunter mentality" mabye thats not how you are. i think alot of meat only hunters would love to kill 50 deer a year and leave our kids to hunt like they did in the 60s or 70s.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    you do all that to harvest a 115 inch buck? i believe that if folks would let 115 inch bucks walk there would be better hunting for everyone. i believe if we could draw in out of state hunters and get out of state fees we would have more money for programs that help conserve the hunting heritage. i believe that the way we do hunting now that indiana will never have the reputation for being a trophy whitetail state. i believe that the one buck rule wasa huge step in the right direction and that shorter seasons would be a plus.

i do not believe that indiana needs less deer our farming areas can support alot more deer than they do.

also i agree that a kid should take a basket rack if thats the first thing he/she sees. i waqs atacking your position on the "im a meat only hunter mentality" mabye thats not how you are. i think alot of meat only hunters would love to kill 50 deer a year and leave our kids to hunt like they did in the 60s or 70s.

I will say that i am in favor of the obr as i have seen more mature deer since its inception. And i never said i shot the first 115" buck that walked in front of my stand as i've passed a few close to 135-140 this year alone. I've filled my buck tag three times in the last seven years letting the smaller bucks grow. All i'm saying is that i'm perfectly happy with any deer i take regardless of size.

The buck i harvested this year was the smallest i've taken in seven years, but i am still happy with him. My stepdaughter had never hunted before and was sitting next to me. We watched him mill around, eating acorns and hitting scrapes for an hour before she asked if i would take him. (she wanted to hunt, but decided to just watch this year) He might not be a monster, but this hunt means more to me than any of the larger bucks i've taken.

I on the other hand do not want indiana to become another illinois.While the money generated would do us good, I feel all the press on the matter turn private grounds into leases, and leases would skyrocket in price. That being the case, it would put the price out of range for "normal" hunters with familys to afford.

I do normaly take does for meat, but if i feel the itch to take a smaller buck, i will. I feel that the more days we can spend afield with others who share our hobbies the better. I feel you shouldn't have to have a fat wallet to be able to enjoy hunting. I feel that if the state feels the need to change anything, it's that they need yo consult the masses before making their proposal, not just a few "groups". :ingo:

jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    FireHawk and Baldguy;

You really have a problem with the truth, The proposal WAS NOT from any special interst group it was the IDNR's plan. They asked the stakeholder groups if we could support it, now if you were at the meetings and I am speaking a lie correct me. But you know I speak the truth and you have an agenda against any group who supports the IDNR.

The truth is with shorter days of gun hunting it would force deer hunters to shoot what was in front of them and quit trophy hunting. Now there is the truth................

Enjoy your next couple of years, after that the the Legislature owns the deer herd

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    FireHawk and Baldguy;

You really have a problem with the truth, The proposal WAS NOT from any special interst group it was the IDNR's plan. They asked the stakeholder groups if we could support it, now if you were at the meetings and I am speaking a lie correct me. But you know I speak the truth and you have an agenda against any group who supports the IDNR.

The truth is with shorter days of gun hunting it would force deer hunters to shoot what was in front of them and quit trophy hunting. Now there is the truth................

Enjoy your next couple of years, after that the the Legislature owns the deer herd

Joe, ever think if you weren't so aarogant you might get farther with people? I've seen today, on your site mind you, that no one can even speak of someone who opposed your ideas without getting banned. Someone disagrees with anything tou say and you turn into a five year old.

Start acting like an adult and then i might try to have a civil conversation with you.

Here is the link to what i'm talking about.....

Hoosier Hunting: Time for some Positive ideas

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    OK guys, I'm having a hard time understanding this argument. The proposal was to shorten Indiana's 16 day firearms season to 9 days, plus add a 2 day antlerless season in October and an 8 day antlerless season in December. So it's actually increasing the days you can gun hunt from 16 to 19. Meat hunters have more days to fill their freezers and trophy hunters have less days to tag a buck. Plus, it adds 8 days of hunting when kids are out of school for Christmas break-isn't one of our biggest goals recruiting young hunters? I don't know why people are saying this is the bowhunting lobby, I doubt bowhunters want to compete with gunhunters in October. And I don't know how you can say this is the "trophy hunter lobby", as it shortens the time you can buck hunt. So what am I missing?:dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I will say that i am in favor of the obr as i have seen more mature deer since its inception. And i never said i shot the first 115" buck that walked in front of my stand as i've passed a few close to 135-140 this year alone. I've filled my buck tag three times in the last seven years letting the smaller bucks grow. All i'm saying is that i'm perfectly happy with any deer i take regardless of size.

The buck i harvested this year was the smallest i've taken in seven years, but i am still happy with him. My stepdaughter had never hunted before and was sitting next to me. We watched him mill around, eating acorns and hitting scrapes for an hour before she asked if i would take him. (she wanted to hunt, but decided to just watch this year) He might not be a monster, but this hunt means more to me than any of the larger bucks i've taken.

I on the other hand do not want indiana to become another illinois.While the money generated would do us good, I feel all the press on the matter turn private grounds into leases, and leases would skyrocket in price. That being the case, it would put the price out of range for "normal" hunters with familys to afford.

I do normaly take does for meat, but if i feel the itch to take a smaller buck, i will. I feel that the more days we can spend afield with others who share our hobbies the better. I feel you shouldn't have to have a fat wallet to be able to enjoy hunting. I feel that if the state feels the need to change anything, it's that they need yo consult the masses before making their proposal, not just a few "groups". :ingo:

like you most years i pass on all bucks waiting for the one who never shows and on to next year. i take a few does in muzzleloader season to fill the freezer. i killed the wrong buck by mistake last bow season, but that was my first buck in a few years. all tole ive been hunting for 20yrs and taken 3 bucks, the smallest last was a 125-130 respectable buck last year.

my girlfriend of a few years started going with me last year. i have to admit if she had ask me to harvest a below par buck i would have. i told her i would kill one with her in stand this year but she only made it out a few times durring bow season and opening morning so i have not had the opportunity to do that yet. but if she gets a chance to go this week or myzzleloader the first doe i see is in some trouble.

i dont think trophy bucks are the most important thing in our sport. imo passing on the traditions from generation to generation is the most important thing. to this day i can remember seeing a 140 class buck with my father when i was 5. it is what really got me wanting to see larger more mature bucks in the indiana heard. i think if more youth would see what i saw at that age anti hunters would have a ton less support.

Top Bottom