• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbwhttail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I'll bite Blackoak!!!!

I own the farm, I am employed in Indianapolis as a sales Representative. we purchased the farm with cold hard earned cash. The farm generated income from its tobacco base until the government bought us all out. I don't grow corn soybeans or wheat, what is the point? I don't grow beefo or pork as I reside in Indianapolis. I pay taxes just like you, I have a mortage and pay interest to a local bank in the area. My utilities are paid locally. I purchase my food goods in Switzerland county.

Your point on on how I utilize a property I purchased with the "American Dream"?

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    It hasnt been that long ago when there were no kids weekends. Your son could deal with it just like the rest of us did growing up. You have got to be kidding me. I don't know how old you are but I'm 36 and I started hunting when I was 12 and hunting pressure wasn't even close to what it is now. That is the most selfish thing I have ever herd You must really suck at hunting to want your self to get a deer before a kid. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Look I don't spoil my kids but if your trying to introduce a youngster to hunting they should really get a chance to see the game there after before all the craziness of opening day of gun. I am a bow only hunter and I would be welling to give up a week of my bow season for a youth season and all you gun hunters want is more time to go bang bang. And I don't just take my kids hunting I also take some less fortunate kids that don't have a dad to take them. Try thinking about other's before you think about yourself sometimes and we would all be better off.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I own the farm, I am employed in Indianapolis as a sales Representative. we purchased the farm with cold hard earned cash. The farm generated income from its tobacco base until the government bought us all out. I don't grow corn soybeans or wheat, what is the point? I don't grow beefo or pork as I reside in Indianapolis. I pay taxes just like you, I have a mortage and pay interest to a local bank in the area. My utilities are paid locally. I purchase my food goods in Switzerland county.

Your point on on how I utilize a property I purchased with the "American Dream"?

My"point", Hell Joe I was just wondering if you were a farmer and farmed your land as your means of making a living. It very unusual these day for someone to own over a 1000 acres of land and not farm, or utilize it for income. I wasn't looking for, or asking anything else, but thanks for the personal itinerary on your wealth and where you buy your groceries, and your success in achieving your American dream. I'm sorry I ask you such a personal question.
    Actually I thought and expected you to tell me it's none of my damned business. :)

Last edited:

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    Theres a lot of debate about a lot of things but to all the guys complaining about not having a place to hunt this is your own fault. Not trying to be mean but it is. If you set in a chair and complain about it then your not doing anything about it. I live in Switzerland Co. and it is a very pressured Co. but yet I still found 3 new places to hunt this year. Look if your not knocking on doors and talking to people you well never find a place. It took me 2 months and hearing a lot of nos but I did find 3 spots. Now if you don't have the money to buy land or lease it you need to do something else. One of the places I found two years ago is the best place I have ever hunted and I have harvested a 160 class last year and a 140 class this year and these deer taken on on ground that I don't pay for. I stopped and asked the people and they said yes. So basically what I'm saying is if you don't like were your hunting find a good place. The amount of work you put into finding a place will pay off when you do finally get that sweet spot. What I'm saying isn't an easy thing to do so once you do find a spot take care of it. Be a good steward of the land and respect the owners wishes and of all things don't trespass on the neighbors that will get you run off quick When I find a new place I aways talk to the neighbors to let them know I will be hunting there and ask if its ok to pursue game on there land and just talk to them. These people your hunting on have to deal with there neighbors everyday so if you make a neighbor mad 9 times out of 10 your going to be asked to not come back. All I'm saying is if you expect a lot out of your hunting experience your going to have to put some time into it to getting a good place to hunt.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The statement guys how lease don't shoot does is completely wrong. I have and know plenty of people how lease and we harvest plenty of doe.

I did not say that people with leases don't shoot does, only that the reason they lease land is not to hunt does. The reason for the lease is to hunt bucks.

And the bow hunter who has a lease with an either sex tag is not going to shoot a doe with it. Neither will the ML hunter. Not until the last day of the season anyways.

Besides "wasting" the tag, there is a good chance that shooting the doe will scare off the deer that the person is really intent on shooting, now if it's last light and you have an antlerless tag, then maybe you take the doe and come back another day.

This is not how meat hunters hunt. My goal is to fill the tag, nothing more. However, if I were hunting private property I would let the fork bucks walk, or whatever the landowner wanted.

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    [/QAnd the bow hunter who has a lease with an either sex tag is not going to shoot a doe with it. Neither will the ML hunter. Not until the last day of the season anyways.

Besides "wasting" the tag, there is a good chance that shooting the doe will scare off the deer that the person is really intent on shooting, now if it's last light and you have an antlerless tag, then maybe you take the doe and come back another day.UOTE] I'm not trying argue with you but this is still untrue for me. I harvest at least 4 to 5 doe every year and this is the only way to keep the population under control. I don"t doe hunt in the same place I hunt bucks by this I mean I take doe on field edges and other areas were I won't pressure the buck I'm hunting. If I have the chance to harvest a doe I take it bottom line. And all people I know how lease do as well. If you have a long term lease you have to.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Theres a lot of debate about a lot of things but to all the guys complaining about not having a place to hunt this is your own fault. Not trying to be mean but it is. If you set in a chair and complain about it then your not doing anything about it. I live in Switzerland Co. and it is a very pressured Co. but yet I still found 3 new places to hunt this year. Look if your not knocking on doors and talking to people you well never find a place. It took me 2 months and hearing a lot of nos but I did find 3 spots. Now if you don't have the money to buy land or lease it you need to do something else. One of the places I found two years ago is the best place I have ever hunted and I have harvested a 160 class last year and a 140 class this year and these deer taken on on ground that I don't pay for. I stopped and asked the people and they said yes. So basically what I'm saying is if you don't like were your hunting find a good place. The amount of work you put into finding a place will pay off when you do finally get that sweet spot. What I'm saying isn't an easy thing to do so once you do find a spot take care of it. Be a good steward of the land and respect the owners wishes and of all things don't trespass on the neighbors that will get you run off quick When I find a new place I aways talk to the neighbors to let them know I will be hunting there and ask if its ok to pursue game on there land and just talk to them. These people your hunting on have to deal with there neighbors everyday so if you make a neighbor mad 9 times out of 10 your going to be asked to not come back. All I'm saying is if you expect a lot out of your hunting experience your going to have to put some time into it to getting a good place to hunt.
    You are a very lucky and blessed individual for having the areas that you hunt........especially for free.

Years ago it was a common thing to have this luxury, but it's 2010 and yes there are people who will grant you permission to hunt their land free of charge, but you better hope Base Camp Leasing never contacts them.

Last edited:

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    Thats just it there are a lot older people how wont buy into the hole leasing thing. They don't want some 3rd party having control of how hunts there land and they would rather see locals hunt there. If you don't get out there and ask people around were you live you wont find a good spot. I probably herd 30 or 40 no's but every once in a while you will here a yes and out of those you might find a couple of places that are great. So you can see I am fortunate but I put a lot of time and effort into finding these sweet spots. Not to worried about Base Camp if they talked to the people were I hunt they would here a big fat no. As far as my best spot goes when the kids of this lady get control they have told me they will probably go the leasing rout but it well be mine for as long as I want it to lease and buy then this place will be unbelievable hunting with the management I'm doing. You have to from a good relationship with the people you hunt on and they will be loyal to you. Not everybody is out for money there are still some good people left in the world.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Just because someone leases their land, it doesn't make them a bad person. They do have the right to make money off their investment of land they bought.

I don't like paying my lease bill every September, but it's something I have accepted if I want to hunt private ground.

I am pretty lucky to have close to 8000 acres of public ground all pretty well within 20 miles of my home. Great for bow hunting, but it get a little crazy on the opening week end of gun season

southern.in.guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    switzerland county
    I wasn't meaning people were bad for leasing there land its a great why for people to make extra money and gives people a place to hunt. What I don't like is leasing company's over charging for land but thats the owners choice and another subject. I plan to lease a piece of ground this year for my family to hunt. i live 20 mins from Splinters Ridge and its some of the best public land I've hunted but you have to be welling to walk a ways to get away from the crowds but I do go there for a change of scenery and some good hunting its not bad during the week not to crowded at least in bow season, gun season gets a little out of control. All I was saying is if you look hard enough you can still find people who will let you hunt free of charge.

Top Bottom