• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Upon completion of stage and showing clear, if the pistol is a true DAO configuration do you still need to 'hammer down'? The pistol will be in the same condition it was before the trigger pull.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    It would be remove the mag, show clear and pull the trigger at the ground in front of you. This is the way we do it at my club.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It isn't just to put the hammer down, IMO it is a third level of safety in case both the shooter AND SO get lazy and don't check te chamber properly.

Pulling the trigger and dry firing it takes all guesses away.

When I SO I make sure even the guys with 1911s don't manually drop the hammer and the guys with Berettas don't hit the decocker.

I try not to squad with Glock shooter ;)

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    It isn't just to put the hammer down, IMO it is a third level of safety in case both the shooter AND SO get lazy and don't check te chamber properly.

Pulling the trigger and dry firing it takes all guesses away.

When I SO I make sure even the guys with 1911s don't manually drop the hammer and the guys with Berettas don't hit the decocker.

I try not to squad with Glock shooter ;)

Second that, it's an extra safety step.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Yes, we instruct the shooter to pull the trigger, NOT just lower hammer..
    so with a DAO gun you would just pull the trigger..
    If you have a 3rg gen S&W or a Highpower , or any others with a mag disconector you might have to do an extra 2 steps of inserting an empty mag & then removing afer pulling trigger..

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you have a 3rg gen S&W or a Highpower , or any others with a mag disconector you might have to do an extra 2 steps of inserting an empty mag & then removing afer pulling trigger..

I haven't run into the mag disconnect yet. Odd how this "safety feature" makes it less safe for competition.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    nothing less safe about them.. just an extra step..
    the only guns I have ever seen fail the triple check have been 1911s...

and it really is the shooters actions that caused it . not the gun...

I'm not blaming the gun, maybe I should rewrite it. I'm not a fan of them and I have seen n00bs fumble when handling their weapons when nerves and adrenaline are flowing.

One more step makes it more likely to make a mistake.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm not blaming the gun, maybe I should rewrite it. I'm not a fan of them and I have seen n00bs fumble when handling their weapons when nerves and adrenaline are flowing.

One more step makes it more likely to make a mistake.

at the end of the stage , when clearing the gun.. It is the RSO who should be walking the shooter thru each step .. yes RSO do make eroors.. that is why a club should require the dry fire step.. if the gun is pointed down range and if it goes bang, you do the whole clearing step over again..
    and the RSO's should try to be familiar with all the types of guns out there.. so they do not get confused by a DAO, or a mag disconect gun ...

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    I like knowing it happens to everyone,everytime can you be to safe? Its called human error because we all do it sometimes.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

My Ruger had (note past tense) a mag disconnect, until it mysteriously disappeared from the gun. I simply ignored what the manual said about not pulling trigger without a mag. No problems.

Top Bottom