If a 10 round limit is put in place......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Could manufacturers of AR mags stamp them as .458 SOCOM instead of .223/5.56 and they be legal since you only get 10 rounds of .458 in a 30 round .223/5.56 mag? Just wondering:D

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    As do I. I specifically bought two and had Hooch Holsters make a mag pouch for my belt to carry the second while hunting. 20 round mags work well especially from the bench.

Interesting proposition. I use 20 round .223 magazines for my .458socom specifically so I don't accidently mix up which is which.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I would assume if they were stamped .458, then they would need to be used for .458. "technically" or "legally" of whatever.

I'm just hoping they get too greedy and this whole thing passes.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've also thought about this. There was some talk a while back about a custom .458 specific mag follower but I don't think anyone ever made one.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Interesting proposition. I use 20 round .223 magazines for my .458socom specifically so I don't accidently mix up which is which.

Yep. Thats what Im doing..... Seriously..... Thats what you take from that?

Because you just posted unremovable info on the net as to why you shouldn't be allowed to buy AR standard capacity mags.

:rolleyes:

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't familiar with the .458 SOCOM round, so I looked it up on wikipedia.... HOLY S**T!!! :wow: That is a MONSTER round.

556_458_2.png

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Because you just posted unremovable info on the net as to why you shouldn't be allowed to buy AR standard capacity mags.

:rolleyes:

Dude, you keep rollin' yer eyes like that they're gonna get stuck. I've done plenty in the fight against the antis, way more than 99% of gun owners have done, and I don't think a few posts on a damn gun group are going to compromise state security, at least any more than videos of mag dumps, bump fire, crap being blown up with Tannerite, or any of the hundreds of thousands of other things that are on this site that can give the antis coronary seizures. So leave it alone and stop with your histrionics.

Yep. That's her. And it is awesome! Performs extremely well on whitetail.

This was my second year hunting with it, and I think it's way overpowered for whitetail, but I like the fact that it hits with authority.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Hopefully we don't have to find out.

If they manage to ban hi cap magazines I don't think it'll be caliber specific. They'll be banned regardless of how they're marked for caliber. They'd cut it down to single shot adapters if they could.

I would have thought you could get more than ten in a 30 rounder just looking at the size comparison but I have to take y'alls word for it 'cause I've never had to load a mag of .458 Socom.

bstone2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    west side of indianapolis
    people dont understand that the second amendment is there to protect citizens from the government. not for sport shooters. not for hunters. not for gun enthusiasts and collectors. we the people need to have the most fire power that we can possibly afford to protect our freedoms from a bigger, more powerful, better equipped government. with the high capacity magazines and "assault" rifles I find it unlikely that any government or group would dare invade the united states of america because it will be defended by we the people. we will fight.

woodwalker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Brownstown
    If they manage to ban hi cap magazines I don't think it'll be caliber specific. They'll be banned regardless of how they're marked for caliber. They'd cut it down to single shot adapters if they could.

I would have thought you could get more than ten in a 30 rounder just looking at the size comparison but I have to take y'alls word for it 'cause I've never had to load a mag of .458 Socom.
    Yep you can only get 10 .458 in a 30 rd mag. Only need 1 shot to knock a white tail down:rockwoot:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I bought mine with the intention of hunting here at home for whitetail and doing some hog hunting down south. I've only needed one shot on both of the whitetail I've taken with it, but with hogs, I want as many rounds as possible. Thos little suckers can be nasty!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Could manufacturers of AR mags stamp them as .458 SOCOM instead of .223/5.56 and they be legal since you only get 10 rounds of .458 in a 30 round .223/5.56 mag? Just wondering:D
    If you study the first ban the answer to your question would be no.

They will have to find a way to slim the mags to be 10 rds only of .458 and not functional with .223 if they intend to sell post ban 10 rd mags. I am not a .458 guy so I can't sit and look at some in a mag to figure it out but a possible ban explains why I had planned on and still intend to add .300 blackout to my arsenal.

Uses the same mags that I already legally own and i don't have to go out and buy a bunch more for a new platform so it was future proof for me. If you own .458 and did not already own enough mags for it, the screw job of the ban is the same no matter what caliber you run.

If they did pull off your idea, then owning a .223 upper and ammo along with those mags would probably not be an issue unless they were the only hi cap mags in your possession, you did not own a .458 upper AND you put .223 ammo in those mags, then you show intent.

Same old ****, different ban.

I assume you can get 5 .458's in a 10 rd mag so get use to that idea. Get real use to it if there is a ban. Best solution is to fight the ban now, not adapt to living under it later. You won't like it.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I did it during the last ban. The Beretta 40 S&W 10 round mags held a lot of 9mm. Really nothing they can do about that other than make it illegal to misuse it. I have thought of building the 458 socom just for deer hunting, and telling those who say an AR15 isn't used for hunting that it is one of the few rifles legal to hunt deer in Indiana.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    The only advise I can give is RELOAD! The .458 is too expensive to shoot factory ammo all the time. It's definitely a big investment to go to a SOCOM.

Top Bottom