If everyone carried a gun, would there be less crime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I think this boils down to whether you believe people are basically good or basically bad.

My belief is that all people have an evil nature, this does not mean that they are bad in their actions though. That is where morality and conscience come to play. Because of those two things I think that the vast majority of people are perfectly fine being armed. I think the statistics even say something like 20-30% have firearms anyway.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The problem with being a "guard dog", lrahm, is that pretty soon you start thinking that only you-and-yours are worthy and capable of "guarding" the public. This isn't a slam at you or law enforcement officers, it's an observation on our society. There are going to be predators in any society. Whether those predators are kept in check by the government (through LEOs or other paramilitary forces) or by citizens depends upon the nature of the society and the mindset of the government and the citizens.

Over the years, our government has, by its penchant for sticking its nose into the states' and the public's interests, gradually eroded people's liberty and rights in the name of "fairness", "law and order", "officer safety", "equal rights", "multi-culturalism" and any number of other excuses. By treating adult citizens like children, government can justify all sorts of measures to do things to us "for our own good". This has turned our society from a land where a man was self-sufficient and worked to support his family; if he didn't, he was shunned by the rest of the community. The government has done all it can to destroy the concept of manhood, motherhood, extended family, traditional Judeo-Christian morality, and self-sufficiency and has created a nation where about half the population is in a state of extended adolescence, with very little sense of "right and wrong". That's why there are so many of you and your brothers in blue.

Having said all that, we are STILL endowed by our Creator with those inalienable rights, and if people choose to grow up and exercise those rights, YOU will have less work to do.

I know that I am not a guard dog. The real problem is the nut jobs that there are out there. I don't think the public has any idea about them. We make runs on people that are clueless to life in general. Remember when I said that ther is a small fraction of the public that have a clue of whats going on. There is a ton of people that we (the general public) were to encourage them to have a gun would go out and kill the next door neighbor in days. Tombstone would be nothing compared to what would happen. We definitely would be thinning out the herd.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Let's take this just one step further. Get with a friend a neighbor or someone who doesn't carry. Tell them you are doing a peper or had a disscussion at work. Ask them if they know what "deadly force" is and under what conditions do they think they could use it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Let's take this just one step further. Get with a friend a neighbor or someone who doesn't carry. Tell them you are doing a peper or had a disscussion at work. Ask them if they know what "deadly force" is and under what conditions do they think they could use it.

Sounds to me like something one should be taught in High School... :dunno:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    A lot of people need to back up and think about what they just said. I won't be too popular by the time this is completed and will receive some bad reps. You do not want the majority of people to have a weapon.

Because the police only get called to see the underbelly of society they think it's a representative sample of the entire population. It's not. You view is skewed.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Because the police only get called to see the underbelly of society they think it's a representative sample of the entire population. It's not. You view is skewed.
    Beg to differ with you but you have not seen or experienced what I have. You have not experienced humanity at its' worse.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I have seen the best and worse that society can dish out, When you can say that you have the experience of of a 35 year officer then you can mak the satement you did. There are people, not criminals, who have no reason to carry a weapon. A simple traffic accident would turn into a murder in no time. That nosey neighbor would be no more. That brother-in-law your sister married, well she would be a widow, Not fiction but fact. Not everyone has an attitude or a demeanor to handle added responsibilities.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have seen the best and worse that society can dish out, When you can say that you have the experience of of a 35 year officer then you can mak the satement you did. There are people, not criminals, who have no reason to carry a weapon. A simple traffic accident would turn into a murder in no time. That nosey neighbor would be no more. That brother-in-law your sister married, well she would be a widow, Not fiction but fact. Not everyone has an attitude or a demeanor to handle added responsibilities.

The fact remains however that unless those people have committed a felony previously there is nothing preventing them from walking out of a gun store in 5 minutes with any weapon they choose. Hell even a felon could easily get a gun face to face. What is preventing this untold violence from happening tomorrow?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Beg to differ with you but you have not seen or experienced what I have. You have not experienced humanity at its' worse.
    His point is that you consider the worst of humanity to be a representative sample.

If the only Asians you ever met were 6' tall redheads, and you met them regularly, you would quickly come to believe that all Asians are 6' tall redheads, or at least the vast majority of them. On the basis of hearsay you might allow that there are other kinds of Asians, but you would still believe that the kind you meet is the majority.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    spell
    His point is that you consider the worst of humanity to be a representative sample.

If the only Asians you ever met were 6' tall redheads, and you met them regularly, you would quickly come to believe that all Asians are 6' tall redheads, or at least the vast majority of them. On the basis of hearsay you might allow that there are other kinds of Asians, but you would still believe that the kind you meet is the majority.
    I am not saying that no one person should be denied the ability carry. What I am saying is that there are people out there who don't have enough common sense to take on the responsibilities that go along with it. They cannot or will not grasp that meaning.

I meet and talk to hundreds of people a week. I see people from all walks of life. not just criminal. I feel that I have met a fair demographic portion of the population to base my opinion on.

Top Bottom