If new caliber laws pass for Deer Season, what will you use next year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    My bow or nothing ... And yea I hunt with both a recurve and long bow as well as my compounds ... I am a bow junkie and have a serious addiction to them. No need for a gun in any caliber to deer hunt. Deer hunting is easy enough as it is.

You do know this is Indiana Gun Owners website. We are asking for new tools to hunt deer with, not taking anything away from bow hunters. Some of us hunt public land where competition for deer is fierce. A rifle is just on way of taking a deer that needs to include more rounds to choose from. So Robin Hood thanks for supporting your fellow hunting brothers on our fight for our 2nd amendment rights.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    You do know this is Indiana Gun Owners website. We are asking for new tools to hunt deer with, not taking anything away from bow hunters. Some of us hunt public land where competition for deer is fierce. A rifle is just on way of taking a deer that needs to include more rounds to choose from. So Robin Hood thanks for supporting your fellow hunting brothers on our fight for our 2nd amendment rights.

Did I knock YOU as a gun owner or gun hunter? No I did not. I said that I bow hunt. I've no need to kill a deer with a gun. Deer hunting is easy enough. I put the guns away several years ago for deer hunting because quite frankly there is ZERO challenge in it for me. Trust me, I own MANY guns in MANY forms. I'm a gun junkie as well. I just have zero need to kill a deer with a gun. The question was asked, that if this caliber expansion changes, what will you hunt with next year ... I said A BOW. The expansion of calibers has NOTHING to do with 2nd Amendment rights and only a fool would believe that. It has everything to do with making it easier to kill a deer and sell more licenses. If you want to make your deer hunting that easy, then more power to you.

I take youth and handicap hunters every year who gun hunt deer. They don't seem to have a problem killing deer with the tools already allowed.

Get a freaking clue man.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm also a bow hunter that will not be affected if the firearm laws change. I will bow hunt until my bow bag is full then likely use my smoke pole...that's my normal mode for deer season.

However, gun hunting can be a challenge. It may not be the hunting challenge of getting close for bow hunting, but the distance of the shot relative to the firearm and it's capability can be made a challenge with regard to the shot, not necessarily the hunting skill required to get close. My .458 SOCOM with 1X optic is a 100yd max shot that could be a challenge to pull off a humane and quick kill.

I would like to make an additional point. I know a number of farmers and land owners who see the deer hunt as a chore. It's the annual freezer fill and easier is better for them. You will never see them return to pulling a plow with a horse for the same reason they will use the most up-to-date most efficient means to take deer. Some hunters are meat hunters and will always take the easiest most humane path.

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I can honestly state here that my hunting style will not change WHEN this proposal takes effect. I'll continue hunting with a bow (which is my preferred method), then switch to a rifle when firearms season opens if I haven't tagged a buck yet. My firearm shots will still be sub-100 yards like they have been in the past, regardless of what firearm is in my hands. In fact, one of the new rifles that I picked up recently is a 300 Blackout that I'll be shooting subsonic ammunition from, which will limit my shot distance at deer to 50 yards or less. So, just because you are packing a rifle around the deer woods doesn't mean that you are doing it to extend your range or to make it easier than using a slug gun.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Ill probably look at getting an older Remington pump in 25.06. I've always liked pump guns.

My present Ruger .44 mag carbine will still see duty though..

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    At the moment I have no real reason to change away from the .358 WSSM.

But I would take my dad's .30-06 for nostalgia.

I have wanted an excuse to buy a Savage Lightweight Hunter. Maybe this will be it. It would be a .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7mm-08. I'd also like a reason to own a .280 Rem or .284 Win... the 7mm-08 could be reamed out to .284 Win, I suppose and the .260 could be reamed out to 6.5-284.

Then again the parent of my .358 (the .25 WSSM) would do very nicely.

Too many choices.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    It would be a good excuse to use my old 30/30 that never gets shot. I would also like to be able to use an AK if desired. Neither is better than the 50 cal muzzleloader just having the option would be nice.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I think i am going to be taking a different gun each day. Ive got a husqvarna 30-06, an older winchester 70 featherweight classic in 6.5 swede, ruger No.1 45-70 and a 308 sniper rifle that are all itching to get out...

Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    I'll still be using my H&R ultra slug gun and my muzzy. The new changes I believe may bring more people into the wood and get more folks out enjoying hunting which will be great.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    If they don't put an upper limit cap, I'm going all in. Bolt action 7mm Remington Magnum is coming out of the safe. Then after the new wears off, I'll go back to the .45 Colt lever gun or the .450 Bushmaster upper on the AR.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    If they don't put an upper limit cap, I'm going all in. Bolt action 7mm Remington Magnum is coming out of the safe. Then after the new wears off, I'll go back to the .45 Colt lever gun or the .450 Bushmaster upper on the AR.

They can do "minor" amendments, but cant change any significant items or they would have to start the process all over again..
    What you see in the proposal will more than likely be it..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Guys and gals,

There will be a concentrated effort of Animal Rights Freaks (who are against any hunting proposals), soccer moms (who are against "dangerous" guns) , some bow hunters (who would really like to see shorter or no gun seasons at all), some gun hunters (that says we don't "need" high powered rifles) and politicians (who will listen to these groups) to stop this proposal. Although I've been told that they do not count noses in these proposals I can assure you that an overwhelming majority will highly influence them. If you want to use a .243 and up for deer hunting in Indiana you best get your comments in.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    i moved up here from Georgia ten years ago and not only was i floored by the size of the deer up here but crushed because i could not use my 30-30 .308 or my 7mm mag essentially the ony gun i had to hunt with was my 12gauge so i am lookin forward to the new laws

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I will probably not change from my bow and my 11-87, but I will probably build my wife an nice .243 rig to hunt with. 12ga slugs are a little much for her. It is a great excuse to build a nice .243 anyway!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    The same gun I hunt with now, single shot .500 S&W in HR Handi rifle. Although......... I have a safe with several USGI M1 Garands, that could be an interesting deer hunt

Top Bottom