If you are asked to leave, do you have to pay?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    If for some reason your asked to leave a restaraunt for your carry preference or ineptitude at descretion, say at end of meal. Are you legally obligated to still pay? Is it against the law to just get up and leave? I would say common sense says they'll expect this,but could a real bugger of a manager have you arrested? Now how about if they ask the guy one table over, is it same to join them in leaving without paying,seeing as you just lost your appetite?

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    Forget legalities... What about Morals. Yes I find it sad and agrivating that not everyone sees things the same as I do, but I feel compelled to do what I feel is right whether or not I am required to. You ate the food... pay for it and then leave and dont go back.

Lack of morals is what is wrong with our society these days. Just my :twocents:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I would agree.. You still ate THE FOOD, and thats what your paying for...

I too, have no idea on the legalities. I worked as an assistant kitchen manager, and have never heard of someone getting in trouble for ditching the check, happened all the time.

Ridgeman4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Middletown
    but I will NOT tip.

Why would you not tip? The server isnt the one with the screwed up policy he/she just works there. They still provided you with service.

Unless, I suppose, I wouldnt tip if he/she is the one that requested that you leave.

Last edited:

rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    If I'm understanding you right you're saying if they ask you to leave because you are carrying? If thats the case they can go to hell, because if it is that big of a concern to them they need to have domething posted on the front door stating that no one is to carry while inside. If they don't then they really don't have the right to ask you to leave. So, if they are willing to make me leave then my money is leaving with me.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    If you eat the food, why wouldn't you have to pay? If they ask you to leave, they're probably prepared to absorb the cost of that meal to get you out of there.

To the guy who said he wouldn't tip.. Sure, screw the people who rely on tips because surely they're the ones responsible and make all of the decisions regarding policy in restaurants.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I think the answer is situational. There's a right and wrong way to do most things. If asked to leave properly and they box up your food for you and are kind about it I'd certainly pay without hesitation. Now if a scene was made and hostility was flying, I'd get out fast. The stores representative asked you to leave, leave! That doesn't mean hang around and pay the bills, it means leave and if they're emotional about it, leave faster. I've gotten free meals in the past for poor service or food quality, while you may have eaten, there is more involved with restaurant choice than the food typically and your payment is dependant on those factors.

If you are asked to leave and you have not payed the bill that's not your problem as I see it, but again there is a right and wrong way to do things.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Im another one for paying. We need to show them that we are good people. We need to be over nice and try to change opinions of others. If you are a jerk then it only strengthens some beliefs.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    It would depend on a few things. Am I finished with my meal? If I am not finished with my meal I would not pay for it. In a restaurant you are not just paying for food. You are paying for time at a table, service, and atmosphere. You "just pay for food" at the grocery store. If I am finished with my meal and ready to leave anyway then I yes I would pay.
    To-go boxes would not really make a difference to me. I do not eat left overs very often. I prefer my expensive restaurant food to be warm.
    Tipping would depend. Did the waiter or waitress have anything to do with reporting the firearm? Were they polite and respectful? If they provided good service and were respectful I would tip regardless of whether I paid for my food or not.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If for some reason your asked to leave a restaraunt for your carry preference or ineptitude at descretion, say at end of meal. Are you legally obligated to still pay? Is it against the law to just get up and leave? I would say common sense says they'll expect this,but could a real bugger of a manager have you arrested? Now how about if they ask the guy one table over, is it same to join them in leaving without paying,seeing as you just lost your appetite?
    Unless it gets into a verbal pissing match I doubt they'd tell you to leave. They'd more likely ask you to take your firearm to your vehicle.

You ate it, pay for it.

I'd call corporate later and complain to see if I could recoup the funds if you're that upset.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom