If you carry, do you have a lawyer at the ready should you have a need?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Since I carry, it would probably be a good idea to have lawyer to contact should a self defense situation occur. Do you have any recommendations for one in central Indiana? If you do, have you introduced yourself and stuff? I am not sure where to start so any advice would be appreciated!

Having a lawyer is a good idea. I didn't give a statement until my FOP attorney was there. However, don't get into the paranoia of thinking we're out to get you and you'll be arrested if you don't have one. I was more worried about my own chain of command than the prosecutor's office, quite frankly. We've had a multitude of folks involved in self defense come through the office, give a statement without a lawyer present, and then be released and no charges filed. At least in Marion County, the prosecutor isn't looking to file on good shoots. Now if you do something stupid like shoot at a car full of kids because they bought the last strawberry milkshake or something, that's different, but good shoots are just that and are treated as such in my experience.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Having a lawyer is a good idea. I didn't give a statement until my FOP attorney was there. However, don't get into the paranoia of thinking we're out to get you and you'll be arrested if you don't have one. I was more worried about my own chain of command than the prosecutor's office, quite frankly. We've had a multitude of folks involved in self defense come through the office, give a statement without a lawyer present, and then be released and no charges filed. At least in Marion County, the prosecutor isn't looking to file on good shoots. Now if you do something stupid like shoot at a car full of kids because they bought the last strawberry milkshake or something, that's different, but good shoots are just that and are treated as such in my experience.
    Thanks that is good to know. For the record, I do not think that cops are bad and I do not have a problem even with being scrutinized if something were to happen. I heard that it was a good idea to have one at the ready if you carry (or even if it was in your home) to be safe. I think if anything it should serve as a reminder to me and to anyone else that if you have the hardware, you need to think long and hard about when, where, who and why you would use it and probably more important when, where, who and why you won't. The decision is not a video game where you can do it over. For me, if I were to pick one bad scene over the other it would be hands down losing my life vs. ending the wrong persons. I know where I am going when I die, so I am not afraid of that, but ending someone else is a whole other ball game. Tread carefully! Thanks!

evill150

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    nwi
    In_sheepdog I'm assuming this is not your field of expertise? You being an attorney in "da region" would there be any one individual attorney you would recommend other then the groups you listed? I'm also from the region and was curious about this topic.

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh
    Anyone have ideas for NE Indiana? I've been wondering about this for awhile and am considering USCCA just for that reason. Even so, any ideas would be helpful.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    When thinking about lawyers, you need someone who is proven based upon your needs. In situations like this, you not only need an attorney that is knowledgeable about criminal law, but one who is also a proven criminal trial attorney. Also, having someone close is important, and the fewer attorneys one has to hire, the cheaper the entire thing will be. Given news stories and from posts on this forum, here is my list I've created of attorneys I may call in a self-defense shooting situation:

Indianapolis: Luther Garcia, Israel Cruz, David Hennessy, Robert Hammerle, Law Firm of Brown, Tompkins, Lory, and Mastrain, and the Law Firm of Voyles, Zahn, and Paul. At the firms with multiple attorneys there are some decent people who aren't partners in the firm. Also, some of the more popular names could mean a premium price for their services.

Hamilton Co.: Mike Borschel, James D. Crum

Johnson Co.: Brian Newcomb

South Bend: Rodolfo Monterrosa

Bloomington: Ronald Chapman, Sam Shapiro

Lafayette: Kirk Freeman

All of those named have had positive articles and/or forum posts about their work at one time or another. I think the important thing that most people are forgetting is that if you shoot someone, you will need money. In addition to having a rainy day fund that can cover months of expenses due to job loss, a person should strive to save at least $5K for legal fees. Any lawyer that is decent will have no problem negotiation a fee and putting it in writing.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    As an attorney myself, I also have both of them in my phone as well... (Old legal saying...Lawyer that defends himself...has a FOOL for a client...)

Disclaimer:
    AIAAL/IANYL YMMV (although I am a lawyer, I am not YOUR lawyer, your mileage may vary...) This reply should NOT be considered personal legal advice.

So I have never dealt with a lawyer before. Do I need to call one and say "hey, I carry a gun, if I shoot somebody can I call you?" Or is there a retainer fee that allows me to call them? Or can I just cold call a lawyer when needed and assume they'll take the case?

dleroy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Evansville
    Hi All,

I think this is one of the most important threads I've read. Does anyone have a recommendation for an attorney in the SouthWest part of the state? Much appreciated.

Thanks

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Thanks for posting this. Makes me glad to live in Marion Co. knowing that if I ever have to use a gun that the combination of my brain and my ACLDN membership should have me covered.

Top Bottom