If you had this option would you take it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opt in or out?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    If a new government mandate gave you the choice to opt in to Social Security and pay till age 70, or opt out and not have to pay, plus be refunded, which would you choose?

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    This is an unfair pole. At my younger age I would say F* you old people and opt out. How is it a fair option when we are 2 generations behind on the payments for SS.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Opt out. I could put my own money to proper use by saving it myself. I don't owe my money to any self-serving senior citizen.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Life is unfair. As it sits, you may very well be paying in and will NOT see the benefit. How's that for fair.

I am not counting on SS for ANYTHING AT ALL.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Realistically, the government will never stop writing the checks. They just won't be worth anything in a few more years.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Opt out. I could put my own money to proper use by saving it myself. I don't owe my money to any self-serving senior citizen.

I have mixed feeling on this one. On one hand, their money was taken with the promise of return at an increase which present recipients are receiving it back at a loss even before considering inflation or lost potential gain. On the other hand, they should have been paying attention when the .gov started changing the terms and raiding the trust fund before I was born.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Opting out is possible, as it is technically voluntary. I know several people who have done it.

How did they do it? I know that clergy are offered the opportunity as conscientious objectors, but I was unaware that it could be done otherwise.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    This is an unfair pole. At my younger age I would say F* you old people and opt out. How is it a fair option when we are 2 generations behind on the payments for SS.

As a older person I don't think it's unfair... As I would opt out and want my refund...

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I'll keep my money. Been paying into this crappy program since I was a paperboy in the early 80s and the gubment has been squandering my cash since. I'm pretty sure I'll be means tested out by the time I can access my cash. Some other SOB who hasn't worked as hard in his adult life as I did as a paperboy will be deemed more worthy of receiving the fruits of my labor.
    I'd be better off burning the cash and getting some warmth from it.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    How did they do it? I know that clergy are offered the opportunity as conscientious objectors, but I was unaware that it could be done otherwise.

Im not really sure as it has been several years since we talked. I was told there was a buch of paper work to fill out. Essentially forever withdrawing from the system, including disability, medicare, ect.

Link to gov't website with that info please - something smells.....

Yeah, they're probably not going to advertise that.:D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You know, I used to think there was no way out too, but one of the guys I did a lot of business with as a landscaper had opted out. His CPA knew of the "loophole" that allowed it and drew up the paperwork for him to sign. I don't think a person in the workforce can do it though. I believe you must be self employed.

I do know one thing for sure though, if I took the same amount of money from my gross each week and managed it myself, by retirement I would likely be a millionaire living only off the interest.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I don't even want any refunds. They can keep what I paid, in order to keep
    the promises to previous generations. I just want to stop paying.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I've opted out of paying, but will still receive payments when I hit retirement age. That's the beauty of a one-earner household with the earner being the spouse. :)

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I would opt out because I can do a lot more with that money than the gov't like making double house payments or saving it for retirement, vacation, browning 50, or whatever I want to spend it on. This is America and it is my money. Besides why should that money go to some slob setting on their but not looking for a job and not motivated enough to try and get one.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Found some opt-out info to share:
    Can I opt out of paying Social Security and invest on my own? - USATODAY.com
    How do I opt-out of the Social Security system?
    - Federal employees hired before 1984 who elected to continue to participate in the federal retirement program instead of receiving part of their retirement under Social Security coverage.
    - State or local government workers (police officers, firefighters, and teachers) hired before March 31, 1986 and participating in their employers' alternative retirement system.
    - Ministers may choose whether or not they will participate in the Social Security program.
    - Self-employed workers with annual net earnings below $400.
    - Election workers earning $1,000 or less a year.
    - Household workers earning less than $1,500 per year.
    - Minor children with earnings from household work but for whom household work is not their principal occupation.
    - College students working under Federal Work Study programs, graduate students receiving stipends while working as teaching assistants, research assistants, or on fellowships, and most postdoctoral researchers.
    - Individuals who are members of certain religious groups such as the Amish and Mennonites.

And also:
    House Republicans propose Social Security opt-out - The Hill's Floor Action
    This is the Savings Accounts proposal from the House Repubs last year. It provides of SS opt-out if you were to opt-in to a savings plan. Didn't go anywhere, if I recall correctly.

Top Bottom