If you haven't already, time to pattern your turkey gun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Been turkey hunting for 28 years, and just like like deer hunting, I had no one to show me ANYTHING so I learned 100% on my own. Went my first two seasons with out ever even seeing a bird less than a 1000 yards away, and between my 2nd and 3rd seasons wised up and began educating myself on turkey hunting from every source I could find from books, to magazines to videos and the few people I knew at that time that were accomplished turkey hunters.

By my third season I had learned enough that I put myself in a position to call in not one but two big 2 or 3 year old Toms to my hen decoys and proceeded to miss both. First one at about 40 yards the second one at about 30 yards. I didn't at that time own a dedicated turkey gun and at a friends insistence was using his 12 gauge 3" Winchester model 1300 NWTF special edition. Beautiful gun with rich mat laminated furniture and a lovely embossed NWTF emblem on the stock.

Later that afternoon of that same day I was telling my story to a friend of my mine who owned the farm next to the one I was hunting on. That was the first time I ever heard of patterning your shotgun. After some thought on it I procured some paper grocery bags from the local GFS, used my clenched fist and arm to draw a template to use as a representation of a Tom's head, but some dirt clods on the bags to hold them in place and patterned the my friends gun I was using. The gun's sighting system was simply two metal beads one at the end of the vent rib and one located a few inches from the receiver.

Decided 30 yards was good starting point. Using the hood of my truck and using sand bags and a blanket to shoot off I commenced to patterning. To say I was jaw droppingly amazed at the results was an understatement. At 30 yards I had less than 10 pellets from a 12 gauge 3" magnum 1 7/8oz of no# 5 shot of Winchester Supreme Turkey loads in the crude rendering of a turkeys head I drew. I carefully fired of 5 more shots and quickly learned if I planned on killing any turkeys with this gun I had better keep my shots at or under 25 yards and aim at least 6" to the right of the turkey's head.

Thankfully by the grace of God the next morning I set my turkey decoys at 15 yards and called in a big beautiful 2 year old tom and at 12 yards dropped him stone dead. The day after I got home I bought a A/M deer slug barrel for my 870 Express that featured Remington's Invector choke system and iron sights. Same shopping trip I bought a Remington EX/Full turkey choke and I was all set. Patterned that gun and over the next 20 years hunting in IL and IN between Jakes and Toms I took over 30 Turkeys without a miss.

In America bigger is always better so eight years ago I upgraded to a 870 Express Supermag 12 gauge 3.5" and used it to take another 10 or 12 turkeys from IL and IN again without a miss. For 27 consecutive seasons I faithfully without exception patterned not only my turkey gun, but those of my sons as well. Well along comes the 2017 turkey season and for what ever the unacceptable reason was ,for the first time in 27 seasons I did NOT pattern my turkey gun, and you guess it. I missed not one bit two turkey in the same morning less than 40 minuets apart. The fact they were both huge beautiful Toms didn't exactly help ease the sting, the second one was a absolute brute of a Tom we had seen in seasons past we nicked named 'Ole Paint brush".

That same day I patterned my gun using photographically perfect turkey targets complete with over lay of vital areas like brain and spinal column you can download for free. The same year I bought the 870 E/SM I installed color contrast A/M steel fiber optic front and rear sights, the rear being fully adjustable for wind and elevation. They provided me with a excellent sight picture. Once again history repeated itself and at 30 yards less than 5 pellets struck the head area and none in a vital spot. At least I drew comfort in knowing I most likely didn't seriously injure either Tom and both should've been no worse for the wear. I honestly can not explain what happened to cause such a huge shift in my POI, but targets don't lie. Because I now have a bit of a stigmatism for this year I went to a scope on my turkey gun. I pulled a Vari-XII shotgun scope off a slug gun I no longer use as it is about perfect with a 2-7x magnification and mounted it on my gun.

Works great and I'm very happy with the this set up is working, but I can see where I could be handicapped if I need to make a shot on a fast moving bird.

So if you haven't already done it, pattern that turkey gun as my failure to do so caused me to go with a unfilled turkey tag for the first time in 27 years.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Great story. I haven't turkey hunted in years because for the past 11 years youth baseball has consumed every minute of spring. Finally this year, my twin boys and I are going turkey hunting on our property. We plan on patterning our shotguns next week during school's spring break. We don't have dedicated turkey guns but they both shoot skeet in the 4-H and other youth gun clubs. A turkey load will be a lot different for them. We have a semi-auto 12 gauge Remington V3 Sport and a 12 gauge semi-auto Girsan. The loads that we are going to pattern with each gun are (these are all #5 shot):
    Remington 3" Nitro Turkey Load
    Federal 3" Strut-Shot Magnum Turkey Load
    Herter's 3" Select Field Turkey Load
    and on backorder and might not arrive in time : Federal Grand Slam 3" Turkey Load.
    Hopefully one of these combos will work with our respective guns. We regularly have about 18-23 turkeys on our property almost daily. No toms, but 4 are Jakes so I guess we will try for a couple of the Jakes. I bought some decoys. We already have a blind and a box call. Patterning next week so if you have any other advice it is very much appreciated.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good advice indeed, it's a ritual I follow every year. I bought an 1187 Supermag last week and a new turkey choke came in Saturday. Took it out today with some Winchester Double X 3" #6's and was not impressed. Tomorrow I'll break out the 3.5" #5 Longbeard XR's that I've been using for the past several years and see if they don't do a better job.

35yds
    EUlEE5zh.jpg

Next shot at 25yds
    pIhVM4Kh.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I also learned most of my turkey hunting on my own. I had a friend take me my first year. My cousin also tried calling one in for me. After a couple of years a friend took me one morning and had a textbook hunt. Heard gobbles, they flew down and walked right in. All I did was pull the trigger. The next year no luck going solo. The following year I scored my first one by myself. Had some ups and downs, then finally got it together and have been successful the past 7 or 8 years and also have been calling for others who want to go. I lucked out on a combo that shoots well from my gun. I have a 870 with the bird barrel. I use a HS Undertaker choke with Winchester Supreme #5s. It is lethal to about 50 yds, with 45 being my farther kill. Years ago I bought several boxes of this load to get the free Thermacells. I still have a bunch but when it runs out I planning trying the Longbeard XR.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am planning to start turkey hunting this year. I have the basics—vest, decoys, calls (practicing like crazy). Next step is to pattern my Remington 870 Express. Just a good, old traditional, completely stock 870. I purchased four types of ammo to test.

Remington® Nitro Turkey® Loads
    CAL/GAUG: 12GA 3" 17/8 OZ #5

Winchester&#174 Double X High-Velocity Turkey Loads
    CAL/GAUG: 12GA 3" 5 SHOT

Winchester® Long Beard XR Turkey Shots hells
    CAL/GAUG: 12GA 3" 1 7/8OZ #5

Winchester® Super-X® Turkey Loads
    CAL/GAUG: 12GA 3" 1 7/8OZ #5

Suggestions?

Hoping to hit a slot in the draw for Pigeon River. If not, I will be hanging out there for the no-show spots.

Thanks for the info in this thread. Any additional information will be appreciated. Every little bit helps.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    My go to turkey gun is a Predator camo dipped Remington 870 3" Mag with a ShurShot stock (SuperCell pad), .665 Extended Rhino Choke, shooting Nitro 4X5X7s using a Simmons ProDiamond scope. It's a 60 yard gun although I try and limit to to 50 yards. I use a range finder and range a clump of weeds, a tree or a bush to 50 yards or so prior to calling. When the bird is in within that range, he is riding home with me..

My grandson is coming home from Brooklyn New York to hunt with me and I need to pattern his 870 in. His momma gave it to him but I had to do some trading and selling to get it where it would be a turkey or whatever gun instead of a smooth barrel deer gun. I sold the slug barrel and a Tasco scope off of it along with a cut barrel I had and got enough to buy him a Remchoke barrel so he could hunt anything with it. He still wanted to deer hunt so I gave him my safe queen Ithaca Deerslayer II. He killed his first deer with it last year here in Indiana. I keep both of his guns here as there is 97 different hops to jump through to own even a long gun in Brooklyn.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Got the Jeb's tube put into the Benelli for the first time this morning. I've never killed a turkey more than 20yds away but it's nice to know I can if I need to.

DlBBZtMh.jpg

Vu2tWXrh.jpg

iyYr18kh.jpg

cG5Tx1Ch.jpg

5nDfTC3h.jpg

dLHQGGJh.jpg

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    So, I took some time today to play around with various turkey loads and chokes, and decided to go with the following this year: Winchester XR Longbeard 3 1/2" 12ga. #5. Indian Creek .675 choke. Shotgun is a Remington 1187 3 1/2" 12ga. Distance: 35 yards. The gun is good, now if the person behind it will do his job. :)

BW1L8Mn.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I run a reg Remchoke Superfull, w WW HV 3" mag #4's.
    It's solid to 40 yards.
    Farthest tom was 42 LOL
    It does well with the Magnum blend as well.
    Figure that will add a few yards.
    Dunno if getting out............college grad stuff jacked up this weekend.
    Dang kids.

Top Bottom