• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    They do the backgroud check just like any FFL. They started as the Department of Civilian Marksmanship (Gov. agency) its in their charter with the Goverment.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    Nice rifle! how long was the total wait? If you drive to camp Perry do you get to take your rifle w/you? or do you have to get it shipped if you do not live in Ohio?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If you drive to the North Store, you can bring it home, But I think they charge you Ohio sales tax (don't remember, I bought a field grade at the north store). Mail order no tax. The mail order does not come from the north store, those ship from the main store in Anniston Al.

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    That is a great looking rifle. You did well on getting that. I was up at Camp Perry last fall and there were a lot of the new birch stocks and slim pickings on nice GI wood. Going up there is a lot of fun but I have done well with mail order too. Not as nice as that one though!

I would recommend you replace you op rod spring. No telling how long it has been in the rifle.

Have fun shooting it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    That is a fine looking gun, you will certainly have to let us know how it shoots. I too have been eyeing the CMP program but did not know you could go to Camp Perry and pick out the one you want... Is there a special process for this, or do they have a regular storefront that you go to like a normal gun store? Is there anything special about buying from a base in Ohio vs. the LGS? Thank you.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Great receiver design, uniquely American rifle. When Id get something nice like this my granddad would say "dont be teachin it bad tricks". lol

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I have one I bought some years ago though it is a Century rebuild. It is really fun to shoot but ammo is so costly. I bought an Amos can of Korean amo a few years ag at Knob Creek. I also have a few rounds of machine gun ammo I bought and removed from links.

The CMP also sells ammo at their stores. I personally have bought some at the North store. They also sell it from their CMP web site. It is good clean surplus stuff.:yesway:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    that awesome, i may have to do this ive wanted a Garand forever now

Do it. You will be glad you did. I have been three times to the North store at Camp Perry. It is set up like a gun shop and you can handle ALL the rifles and they sell ammo as well. The staff is awesome and very helpful.:rockwoot:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I believe they ok'ed it in about jan/feb. they will not be going to the CMP. They will have import marks on them. From what I heard they are in rough shape. Poorly maintained little to no cleaning after using the corrosive KA head stamped ammo(Korean ammo) There's a thread around here somewhere about it..

Top Bottom