If you were to build a more precision style AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you were going to build an AR that was more for precision accuracy, how would you do it?

And I'm talking about from scratch. What kind of gas system, upper, barrel, LPK, trigger, stock, etc..

It would have to be in .223/5.56 too.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm going to jump on this one since I want to build one this Winter and I too want to stay with .223/5.56.

I am looking at a WOA SS SPR 18" barrel so far. Lower will most likely have a RRA NM 2-stage trigger. BCG will be a NiBo WMD probably.

Mid-length gas system, stock to be determined, but I may want one with some weight to help offset the weight of the barrel.

But I am open to input.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What can a precision 223/556 AR do that a regular AR can't with good optics and shooter??

Not sure what Lovemachine is thinking, but I want one that is not necessarily set up for 3-gun or CQB type use. Or for military/LE shootouts. I want one that I could take out west prairie dog hunting at ranges of 400-500 yards, maybe more. I would like it to shoot well at 300 yards all day long. Heavy barrel, floating hand guard, better barrel is what I am looking for. Nothing crazy though. I would like to see if I can be happy with just the AR instead of buying a bolt action rifle which I may anyway.;) I may be building two and was thinking of doing the second one in a 'nam era configuration only without the barrel twist.

The good shooter part? I have a long way to go for that one!:)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you were going to build an AR that was more for precision accuracy, how would you do it?

And I'm talking about from scratch. What kind of gas system, upper, barrel, LPK, trigger, stock, etc..

1. Gas system? It doesn't matter. Standard works without issues.

2. Upper? It doesn't matter. It is a no stress part. BCG's don't matter. At all.

3. Barrel? Any premium air gauged barrel. Douglas, Kreiger, Wilson. They are all good. I prefer a Wylde chamber and a 1X8 twist. Get a free float tube though..

4. LPK? It doesn't matter. Another no stress part.

5. Trigger? I prefer a two stage. I really like the RRA two stage modified for 3 1/2 lb total weight. Also Wolff extra power hammer sping for reduced lock time.

6. Stock? Whatever fits you in all the positions you intend to use the rifle.

I will take a picture of my latest precision AR as soon as my camera battery is charged.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not sure what Lovemachine is thinking, but I want one that is not necessarily set up for 3-gun or CQB type use. Or for military/LE shootouts. I want one that I could take out west prairie dog hunting at ranges of 400-500 yards, maybe more. I would like it to shoot well at 300 yards all day long. Heavy barrel, floating hand guard, better barrel is what I am looking for. Nothing crazy though. I would like to see if I can be happy with just the AR instead of buying a bolt action rifle which I may anyway.;) I may be building two and was thinking of doing the second one in a 'nam era configuration only without the barrel twist.

The good shooter part? I have a long way to go for that one!:)

That was pretty much my goal with the one I built. As long as it shot MOAish I was happy. I put 10rds in 3.5 inches at 300 yds with my final load and thats plenty good enough for that rifles purpose. If I need better accuracy ill take a different rifle. Mine is just a play toy. I need it like I need a hole in the head, but it was/is a fun toy. I might make it a coyote rig at some point and time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    3. Barrel? Any premium air gauged barrel. Douglas, Kreiger, Wilson. They are all good. I prefer a Wylde chamber and a 1X8 twist. Get a free float tube though..

5. Trigger? I prefer a two stage. I really like the RRA two stage modified for 3 1/2 lb total weight. Also Wolff extra power hammer sping for reduced lock time.

What are your thoughts on WOA barrels?

What did you do to modify the RRA 2-stage? I had one on my last AR.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

Mk12 Mod1 upper

gas system - "intermediate"
    upper - flat top
    barrel - Krieger SS 1/8 twist, profiled for the OPS Inc brake and collar, Mk12 Mod1
    LPK - standard
    Trigger - 2 stage, in this one I used a KAC
    Stock - something adjustable, this is the EMod

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What are your thoughts on WOA barrels?

What did you do to modify the RRA 2-stage? I had one on my last AR.

ANY air gauged premium barrel will shoot better than any of us can hold. Including whatever WOA is using this month.

Grind down the disconnector spring. VERY carefully. Too much and it won't work.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What can a precision 223/556 AR do that a regular AR can't with good optics and shooter??

I dunno. Just know that yesterday I was shooting with my friends at 125-150 yards. Shooting ARs and M1 Garands.

Just thought that since I am wanting to setup my own AR for home defense purposes, it would be nice to have an AR more for longer distances.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Here's my precision build, just added a Magpul ACS stock. Upper is from CIV Tactical, i'd check him out, he has decent prices on uppers, and he laps every upper for a perfect fit to the barrel. Mine is in .223 Wylde, 1/8 twist, heavy barrel.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I dunno. Just know that yesterday I was shooting with my friends at 125-150 yards. Shooting ARs and M1 Garands.

Just thought that since I am wanting to setup my own AR for home defense purposes, it would be nice to have an AR more for longer distances.

I understand that. I guess I'm just thinking a guy can take his regular AR add a qd scope and do pretty well. I know many members here could shoot a lot better with my AR than I can. I almost started a precision AR build in 233/556 but decided for me a different caliber or rifle would be a better fit.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My Rattle Battle rifle is a Colt chromed 1X7 HBAR with iron sights. I shoot 75 Hornady's out of it and it is plenty accurate at 600 yards and closer. Read the wind and do what the Gunny is telling you and get all the hits you want. I got 45 hits in one minute at 600 yards with it. Once. I was the left swing shooter.

All you guys with AR's really need to shoot the "Infantry in the Attack" match (Rattle Battle) at least once..At camp Perry. Your State Rifle Association always fields a team. as well as many local clubs.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1. Gas system? It doesn't matter. Standard works without issues.

2. Upper? It doesn't matter. It is a no stress part. BCG's don't matter. At all.

4. LPK? It doesn't matter. Another no stress part.

6. Stock? Whatever fits you in all the positions you intend to use the rifle.

I will take a picture of my latest precision AR as soon as my camera battery is charged.

Agreed.

i just built my dad a rifle for bench use as a retirement gift. It sports a Lilja 20" barrel (wylde, 1/8), floated in a JP 15" handguard. Trigger is a Geislle high-speed mat trigger (which is oh so sweet). I used a magpul rifle stock (not prs) since its more square base seemed more suited to bags than a regular A2.

-rvb

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    The only thing that I would change on an AR for accuracy would be the crown of the barrel. Any imperfections in the crown will affect the the bullet leaving the bore, so a precision crown would be a have to, though mine are all "battle rifles", so a 4" group at 100 m is fine with me.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Although the crown is important, there are many factors in a rifle that affect it besides the crown. A nice trigger doesn't affect accuracy so much as it affects your ability to use the rifle to its accuracy potential. A free floated handguard helps quite a bit. Mine is a Midwest Industries, I highly recommend it, you can put a rail anywhere you want on it, including at 45 degrees, and if you don't want a rail, it's much more comfortable to hold than a quad rail.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    ANY air gauged premium barrel will shoot better than any of us can hold. Including whatever WOA is using this month.

Grind down the disconnector spring. VERY carefully. Too much and it won't work.
    Too much and it'll get you 10 years in a Federal Pen. Ask this guy CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Do yourself a favor and disregard that advice unless you know what you're doing. If you have to ask... you don't know what you're doing.

Top Bottom