If you were to build a more precision style AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjacobs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indy S./Bloomington
    1. Gas system? It doesn't matter. Standard works without issues.

2. Upper? It doesn't matter. It is a no stress part. BCG's don't matter. At all.

3. Barrel? Any premium air gauged barrel. Douglas, Kreiger, Wilson. They are all good. I prefer a Wylde chamber and a 1X8 twist. Get a free float tube though..

4. LPK? It doesn't matter. Another no stress part.

5. Trigger? I prefer a two stage. I really like the RRA two stage modified for 3 1/2 lb total weight. Also Wolff extra power hammer sping for reduced lock time.

6. Stock? Whatever fits you in all the positions you intend to use the rifle.

I will take a picture of my latest precision AR as soon as my camera battery is charged.

Well stated. As far as other barrel manufactures... look at White Oak Armament, Noveske, and JP. Free float tube is a must. JP triggers, Geissele, and timney are nice. I also recommend buying a stock that fits comfortably and weights accordinly for your build.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    My battle rifle is a bcm pencil barrel, 1/7 twist, mag tactical lower, psa lpk and a Magpul stock. I'm using an aimpoint PRO. Did a little load development over the weekend with the Barnes 70 grain tsx bullets. First 5 shot group was sub moa shooting off bags. Each subsequent group increased a half grain of powder at a time and very consistently opened up by about half a inch each. If I lay a quarter over the first group there is only one hole not quite touching. This was all at a little over 100 yards. My point is that this was not meant to be a precision gun but with proper ammo most quality AR's can be very accurate without a whole lot of extra fuss/money. I was blown away by the accuracy, it was very unexpected. Now I want to mount a magnifying scope and take it out to 300 to see how she does.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    well i would ask its purpose first, bench gun, hunting gun? what type of hunting? well assuming coyotes and other vermin to deal with i would build a ar15 with a middleweight 20 inch barrel maybe stainless if i can have it ceraicoted( dont know if i can). a lefty safety, a nice trigger, and a stock that can be set out quickly, like getting out of the truck quickly.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    When I built a percision AR, I did it with the following:

Kreiger Varmatch barrel, 24" 1:7.7 twist with a 5.56 Match chamber.
    Giessele National Match trigger set to 2.5# on the first stage and 12oz. on the second stage.
    Daniel Defense upper
    Noveske lower.
    The rest includes bipod, optics, scope mount, etc.

Its a simple rifle, but built as cleanly as I could do it, with the best components I could get at the time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    PM jrainw. He has done pretty well at Camp Perry with his.

I just bought a RRA 24" varmint with their 2 stage trigger and it will do 5/8" at 100 yds with my handloads. Vette saw my son hitting steel at 700 yds with it using 55 gr ball ammo, with the wind almost quartering from over our rt shoulder at about 25 mph.. Added a Magpul adjustable tgt stock and may go to a Geissele trigger someday.

Good enough for me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I built a percision AR, I did it with the following:

Kreiger Varmatch barrel, 24" 1:7.7 twist with a 5.56 Match chamber.
    Giessele National Match trigger set to 2.5# on the first stage and 12oz. on the second stage.
    Daniel Defense upper
    Noveske lower.
    The rest includes bipod, optics, scope mount, etc.

Its a simple rifle, but built as cleanly as I could do it, with the best components I could get at the time.

You hit it on the head. A quality barrel shooting quality bullets IS the accuracy formula. A great trigger makes it easier for the rifleman to break the shot without disturbing the point of aim. The rest is personal preferences.

Sounds like a great rifle.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    It shoots way better than I do! That's for sure.

Feed it 77g SMKs over 23g of IMR 8208XBR and it just makes one hole all day long. Any bad shots are my fault for sure.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Why spend all the money on the gun? Go with a Rock River national match rifle and call it good. RR NM rifles have taken many a high power shooter through master. Spend the rest of the money on reloading components and get to shooting. By the time you wear out the barrel, you will be ready to make some changes anyway, like a Geissle trigger. I would not even bother with optics yet. Find a local highpower club and hang with them for a season and learn what that AR can do out to 600 meters on a constant basis.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Mk12 series ar rifles are a good start look them up. To be honest asking this question in here and expecting one solid group opinion is insane. Everyone in here has a diff opinion. I have a mark 12 recon rifle

Top Bottom