• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    If you were to move South for warmer weather, which state would you pick?
    A short list of where/why would be great. If you have a southern state you'd avoid, please list it as well.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Tennessee is nice, but you can cross over from Gatlinburg to NC, and there were some absolutely captivating places outside Cherokee, to the northwest. I would move there, no problem, and I'm not one to move.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Ky. Need I say more ??? I would move to Ky because they don't get as bad of winters as us but you still get the seasons like we do and they have more wooded ground and the deer hunting would be alot better.. I would love to have 1000ac.of hilly woods and some flat ground and a few ponds and live in the middle of it with my wife, daughter, son-inlaw and grandkids and never see anyone ever again... I would be fine with that....

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Most likely Arizona. My wife lived out there before we met and we visited Tuscon a few years ago. Some people find it barren but I think the desert is every bit as pretty as all the green in Indiana. Few states do a better job of protecting your 2A rights. I might even be talked into being a Coyotes fan. Nah.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Texas or Arizona. It's a tossup! I have relatives in Arizona. So i am leaning a little more towards Arizona. I love hot and dry and the 2a. Both are gun friendly states!!

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Without a doubt SE Utah near Escalante. It has everything I enjoy. More hiking trails and rock climbing than I could do in a lifetime. Five parks within a few hours drive and BLM land everywhere. Mountains, trout fishing, streams, relatively mild weather since the elevation is 6000 feet. They get about the same amount of snow as we do in a normal year in Indiana but only about 9 inches of rain. It is sunny most every day and the humidity is very low. I can hunt elk, mule deer and antelope within an hours drive. I would be 4 hours from western Colorado about 5 hours from Idaho and about the same to Wyoming. I could run a tab at the small local grocery store and generally disappear if I so desired. Spent a week there in June hiking and rock climbing and decided that is where we want to retire to.

Dirty Steve

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I were forced, I'd look into the eastern border between KY and TN. Likely staying on the KY side.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Virginia - Born and raised there so it's my roots. It is warmer there but they still see 4 seasons, which I'm a fan of. Remember many times wearing shorts of Christmas. Got mountains on one side of the state and beach on the other and everything in between. If I moved have it would be southeast VA or South-central VA.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like it here. I grew up in Tennessee and I'm not much of a heat and humidity fan. But to answer the specific OP question, if I had to move south for warmer weather, I'd pick western Texas or Arizona -- someplace with much less humidity.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Eastern Tennessee. It's safe there

Many don't realize that many of the larger cities in Tennessee are crime ridden. You get around Memphis, Jackson, and even Nashville, it's little different than being in any big city you hear about in the news all the time. I wouldn't want to live around any of the touristy areas like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/etc. either...too many yankees.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wife and I had this discussion when I retired, she wanted to live someplace south of Greenfield. I reminded her that while the weather got warmer the further south you went, the number of unpleasant bugs and snakes went up as well. We live in southern Indiana.:)

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't want to live around any of the touristy areas like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/etc. either...too many yankees.
    Says the bloke living in Indiana!

Wife and I had this discussion when I retired, she wanted to live someplace south of Greenfield. I reminded her that while the weather got warmer the further south you went, the number of unpleasant bugs and snakes went up as well. We live in southern Indiana.:)
    Ah, nice. Good compromise. A happy medium.

Top Bottom