• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    So the internet and all, I read that full length sizing nickel rifle brass is a bad idea cause the nickel will flake off. I tried it anyway cause it was only 100 rounds, however all it takes is one to flake off. By the time I was done my shiny brass was all scratched up. Fast forward 3 months I bought a replacement set of dies and I think the chamber on my rifle must be really tight because after I full length sized them they wouldn't chamber. With nothing to lose I chucked up a bronze bore brush and wrapped a piece of greased up 1500 grit wet or dry and began polishing. I can still see some faint scratches but my rounds chamber. I'm assuming not all dies are created equal, anyone else run into this?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Not following what you're trying to say ... step back, take a breath, and please fill in the blanks ... like what dies did you start with? What dies did you get as replacements? What did you polish ... the chamber in your rifle or the new dies? What happened to the original nickel cases? Are you still using the original nickel cases?

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Started with Lee dies in.243 bought Lee dies as a replacement, I polished the inside of the original sizing die to remove the scratches because the replacement wouldnt size the case small enough to chamber. The original nickel cases got scratched by the nickel flaking off and since the dies are steel, not carbide they got gouged and started scratching the rest of the cases. Still going to use them just not going to reuse them.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've shot nickel brass in several guns without issue. I clean the brass first, use adequate lube. If you FL size and bump the shoulder too much, the shoulder can flare out where it meets the body. In such instances, you can feel an edge at the shoulder/body. Backing out the die a quarter turn usually fixes it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've been reloading Nickel cases for decades now. Never had a problem...
    If your not able chamber your rounds after sizing them crank down the sizing die another half a turn.
    What press are you using? and when sizing does your press handle cam over when you are sizing a case?
    Do you have a book or two on the basics of reloading?

Top Bottom