• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been a member of IFCU (Industrial Federal Credit Union)
    for just over 15 years, but it looks like that relationship will end soon.

Ifcu recently posted a notice stating basically, "No weapons on the premisis, regardless of license or permit".

I informed the branch manager that I weas unhappy with the new policy. I mentioned that I am a veteren, a certifierd NRA pistol instructor, an LTCH license holder for more than 20 years, and I felt the new policy treated me like a criminal.

I was basically informed that if I did not like the new policy, I was welcome to take my business elsewhere.

So, I guess if they don't want my business, I don't want to deal with them.
    I think I'll start refusing to accept checks from this institution in my business.

I'm by FAR, not their largest depositor, but I'm not going to let this affront on my second ammendment rights go unanswered.

Boycott anyone?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    IFCU held by boat loan for a few years. I noticed this signage when I went to pay off my loan. I OC'd through the entire process (which took a while because they couldn't find my titles). As soon as I had my titles, I got back in line to close my deposit account - which had a whopping balance of $5.

I'm still banking at an institution here in Indianapolis which has a selective policy on weapons depending on location. When the locations nearest my house switch, so will I.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    You do realize that as a "member" of a credit union, that you are classified also as an owner? Since when can employees tell owners what to do?

No? Can't be charged for trespassing?

only if asked to leave and he doesn't

....on which point his gun has no bearing. It might be the reason they ask him to leave, but the reason could as easily be "we don't like your shirt".
    As a member/owner doesn't he have a contractual interest in the credit union? If so, the trespassing law wouldn't apply, correct?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think I'll start refusing to accept checks from this institution in my business.

I'm by FAR, not their largest depositor, but I'm not going to let this affront on my second ammendment rights go unanswered.

"Don't cut off your nose to spite your face."

And there is no "affront" to your rights.... if they were denying you your rights, you'd have legal recourse. You have a great deal of rights, it's just that some prefer that you not express them on their property.

Personally, if someone came to a business I owned, and attempted to have "rally" of some sort; citing freedom of assembly, I'd look at them like... :n00b:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No? Can't be charged for trespassing?

There's no case law concerning the subject. LEOs typically give the person an opportunity to leave. Even if a sign was explicit in stating a "denial of entry," I can't think of a single officer that would arrest a person if they voluntarily left the business. What's the point, the person is cooperating, and it looks bad, even if they are in the wrong.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As a member/owner doesn't he have a contractual interest in the credit union? If so, the trespassing law wouldn't apply, correct?

This is also fairly undefined. For instance, let's say I have a toy on layaway for my kid at walmart. I have paid half so far. One day I get into it with a clerk there, they call the police, and I am trespassed. I return citing having a "contractual interest." Do you think that will keep you from going to jail and being convicted? You'd be fooling yourself if you do.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Actually, there was a case - I want to say just in the last 30 days - of a guy conducting a bank transaction in... let's say a "rowdy" way. Not trespass because of his contractual interest in his bank account.

Found it:
    http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/10251108ewn.pdf

Ok, that's a narrow point of law compared to where this thread has gone, but... there you go. :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Actually, there was a case - I want to say just in the last 30 days - of a guy conducting a bank transaction in... let's say a "rowdy" way. Not trespass because of his contractual interest in his bank account.

Found it:
    http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/10251108ewn.pdf

Ok, that's a narrow point of law compared to where this thread has gone, but... there you go. :)

Whoa, well there you go. who wants to be the test case. I can think of a particular lawyer that may help ya out.

Edit: Ah, they say that disorderly conduct is the way to go instead of trespassing.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    "Don't cut off your nose to spite your face."

And there is no "affront" to your rights.... if they were denying you your rights, you'd have legal recourse. You have a great deal of rights, it's just that some prefer that you not express them on their property.

Personally, if someone came to a business I owned, and attempted to have "rally" of some sort; citing freedom of assembly, I'd look at them like... :n00b:

I disagree that there is no affront to one's rights in this situation. Let's change the 'rights'. Let's say I own a store that repeatedly has been robbed and the race of the robbers has always been the same. I then post a sign denying entrance to my store to people of that race.

Are you telling me there is no affront to someone's right's?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I disagree that there is no affront to one's rights in this situation. Let's change the 'rights'. Let's say I own a store that repeatedly has been robbed and the race of the robbers has always been the same. I then post a sign denying entrance to my store to people of that race.

Are you telling me there is no affront to someone's right's?

It is not. A business owner should be able to deny anyone entrance that they wish. I personally think it's ignorance of the highest order, but the govt shouldn't legislate morality. The free market is pretty good check on stupid people.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    I agree...but that is utopia. In today's world do you believe that my analogy would fly? I say it would not. Thus my point is there are accepted rights violations.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom