• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    so yeasturday at work i had some things happen that made me irritated and wanted to share. i work in physical therapy and have a few patients that know i am into guns and sometimes we talked about guns or hunting. so i had a pt ask ne about where she can carry her gun cause she thaught she couldnt take it outof her car. then a co-worker from across the room started ranting about people that think they have to carry guns and said very loudly that anyone that thinks they have to carry a gun is not right in the head. i just looked at her like "are you serious?" and just looked away to not cause problems in hte clinic. then we had a department meeting at lunch and it was braught up that "gun talk" had to stop in the clinic. that some people may be offended and gave the example that some one could have a family member that was killed by a gun and maybe offended by us talking about guns. i wanted to stand up and say "well maybe my mom was killed by a car and i get offended by you talking about cars!" but i just bit my tongue and shook my head in disappointment that i work with such ignorant people. Just wanted to rant about my experience friday. hope the weekend cheers me back up!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    There are a lot of people in the world that we live around that have a false sense of security. Dont let things like this get to you, esp at work.

Some people need to be taken care of, some people are self sufficient. We know what we are.;)

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    My reply would have been...

I hate to interrupt but I don't think we should talk about work because my dad was killed at work!!!

Of course I'm a smart arse!!!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I too am a smart ____, espescially when i know im not breaking the law. People seem to think if guns were outlawed the guns would just vanish. They try this same logic with drugs and well you see how that goes.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I hate to interrupt but I don't think we should talk about work because my dad was killed at work!!

I LOVE IT! Wish I would have thought of it, and I might borrow it.

mx_chick-don't let it get to you too much. Sometimes changing attitudes and educating people is a SLOW process. You know how the saying goes "every anti-gunner is one mugging away from being an NRA Life Member"! You (unfortunately) do have to be careful not to pi$$ off the boss, or the boss's favorite suck-ups, so don't lose your job over it. If you have the time to cool off and think about it you may come up with ways to help educate those that need it. It very well could be that the one moron that hollered across the room is the problem and the others would be fine with "gun talk".

Then again if a patient brings it up, YOU didn't start it, you were just trying to make the patient comfortable by talking about things they brought up.

Good luck and hang in there!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Write a letter to your boss, and let him/her know that you are disappointed that they have chosen to endorse your co-worker's public announcement that you are not right in the head. Let them know that you are offended by the statement, and you expect immediate action to be taken.

My aunt, a rape victim, once responded to being told that someone could be offended by her gun talk by telling that, as a victim of violent crime, she felt that person was trying to victimize her again by attacking her with so blatant a lack of manners.

You would not be allowed to say your co-worker isn't right in the head, allowing them to say the same about you will cause more problems in the long run than staying silent will solve.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    I hate people like that...just absolutely despise them. I had a similar experience at a place I used to work. I used to listen to Limbaugh in the afternoon while I was working, and no one had a problem with it until the boss hired a rabid liberal lesbian, who then complained to the owner of the company about it. I wasn't allowed to listen to the radio at work anymore....

She later heard me make some comments to another co-worker while we were having a discussion, about my opinion on Barack Obama. Nothing racist or threatening was said...but she told the manager that I was making racist comments and it was offensive to her and she felt that I created a hostile work environment. Now, if you knew me, you'd realize how ridiculous this is, as I'm about the easiest person in the world to get along with. But this is the kind of crap I had to put up with, until the day I left.

I dealt with constant harassment from this woman because she didn't like my political viewpoint...but she'd damn sure voice hers and no one every said two words about it. If I tried to verbally defend myself while she was on a rant, my manager would just shake his head at me. Pissed me off to no end.

I can't wait to get out of school...I'll be driving a truck over the road, so I won't have any stupid co-workers to have to deal with....just stupid drivers.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Write a letter to your boss, and let him/her know that you are disappointed that they have chosen to endorse your co-worker's public announcement that you are not right in the head. Let them know that you are offended by the statement, and you expect immediate action to be taken.

My aunt, a rape victim, once responded to being told that someone could be offended by her gun talk by telling that, as a victim of violent crime, she felt that person was trying to victimize her again by attacking her with so blatant a lack of manners.

You would not be allowed to say your co-worker isn't right in the head, allowing them to say the same about you will cause more problems in the long run than staying silent will solve.

I think Joe makes a good point here. No one would allow that to be said about any other legal pursuit and then make office policy supporting such an opinion.

Terry

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    so yeasturday at work i had some things happen that made me irritated and wanted to share. i work in physical therapy and have a few patients that know i am into guns and sometimes we talked about guns or hunting. so i had a pt ask ne about where she can carry her gun cause she thaught she couldnt take it outof her car. then a co-worker from across the room started ranting about people that think they have to carry guns and said very loudly that anyone that thinks they have to carry a gun is not right in the head. i just looked at her like "are you serious?" and just looked away to not cause problems in hte clinic. then we had a department meeting at lunch and it was braught up that "gun talk" had to stop in the clinic. that some people may be offended and gave the example that some one could have a family member that was killed by a gun and maybe offended by us talking about guns. i wanted to stand up and say "well maybe my mom was killed by a car and i get offended by you talking about cars!" but i just bit my tongue and shook my head in disappointment that i work with such ignorant people. Just wanted to rant about my experience friday. hope the weekend cheers me back up!

I RAAAAAGED

I've had almost the EXACT same thing happen to me before. It's hard not to choke the morons sometimes.

How dare you speak about your 2nd Amendment rights in public?

:xmad:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I work with MX_Chick_42 and was in the staff meeting where the negative comments were being made. It was almost as if they were nervous in trying to bring the subject up b/c other employees, who have found out that MX_Chick_42 and I both take steps to protect ourselves and our loved ones. (One lady has even asked what would be a good HD weapon for herself?) The comments came from a individual who takes too much responsibility upon herself and actually comes across as being pretty 'uppity' (ie, snotty) most of the time. So many other individuals have participated in the 'guns' conversation, at one time or another, that it would be impossible to simply point the finger at just 1 or 2 individuals and say 'they're doing it.' We have several hunters and outdoors-persons working in the same facility...so at some point, the 'gun' conversation has benefited/included them as well.

I was also present in the rehab area when the pt. was asking questions regarding individual carry laws and how they would apply to her. MX_Chick_42 was answering her questions (in a soft voice I might add) and an aide came up to give her 2-cents worth. I chided in with the difference with Indiana's crazy law about the difference between the carry age (18) and the gun/ammo purchase age (21). The aide commented on the ability to 'gift' a gun to an individual under 21 (y/o) as she had her son after her husband's death, and the question became what is the proper age to gift a gun to a child? There were NO other patients present in the rehab area at the time of the discussion, however, a couple of the staff members were passing through at the time and that's where the complaint came from.

I understand that management is working to provide an atmophere where patients in rehab are comfortable with the environment such that they give positive feedback on their survey cards and pass along verbal recommendations to their friends and family members. And I understand that guns can be a 'hot topic' as well as a political one, in the public domain, however, answering a pt's questions in a soft and polite manner is not offensive nor problematic, especially when people are curious and concerned about their oun personal safety. With some of the things I've heard said behind the scenes at places of employment, this topic is relatively mild in comparison.

When one consideres the source of the complaint (on Friday) it really makes you want to laugh b/c this individual, without a doubt, would probably love to boss everyone there around if given the opportunity. Unfortunately, sometimes one has to 'bite their tongue' in the face of idiocy (sp) to protect themselves from the corporate idiot.

Right now, the boss is on vacation for 2.5 weeks and will not be back until the last week of February.

If they really want a stink, I'll simply share with them the number of times I've been 'propositioned' in the workplace and let them stew about that. I said 'no' each time, and it ended right there (I'm a Christian and have made a choice not to participate in the 'player's' lifestyle...for several reasons) so it did not result in a harassment case b/c my "thanks, but 'no'" was the end of it. However, there was a time when my wife (before we were married) was propositioned, said 'no' and it wasn't followed...which ended up in the dude being terminated from the employer. I worked with a guy in Indy for 3 years who once commented on a fellow employee's 'arse' as she was walking away...the company had a strict policy regarding that type of discussion...and I quickly reminded him that he needed to keep his comments to himself or only share them off property from the employer. He agreed as the company had a history of firing individuals who violated that policy.

I do wish they had been a little bit more mature about how they handled the situation on Friday. If there was a concern about just a few of us, they should have quietly pulled us aside, shared the 'complaint / concerns' with is, and politely request that we cease our conversation (or end it quickly) and move forward. I think there would have been a bit more respect for the process if it had they handled it in a manner that wasn't shoved 'all out in the open for everyone to chide in with their opinion(s).' (As a former manager / supervisor / and business owner, that is how I would have, and have in the past, handled issues such as this.)

On the flip side, the topic of guns has helped to build working relationships for myself as my orthopedic physician (ie, team doc) commented that he had recently purchased a new SIG P-239 in .40 and wanted my opinion. I suggested night sights and we spent the second half of a baskeball game discussing the benefits of the .40. Now, our working relationship has improved from just 'business' to building a working relationship that allows us to be friends as well. Overall, it was the 'breakthrough' discussion that has helped our working relationship to flow more efficiently and effectively, helping us to communicate even better regarding our athletes/patients. My point being that talking about something that individuals have in common, that can help to build working relationships, be it guns or other, benefits the business.

MX_Chick_42...I know your niece will cheer you up over the weekend! You love her too much to not have her cheer you up!

My :twocents: !!!

Last edited:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I wonder what it is about some peoples offense that is more valuable than other peoples freedom of expression...

There is an idea (I cant remember who wrote it) I really enjoy:

"So you're offended...so f'ing what?"

In my opinion, the world is getting way too soft.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I RAAAAAGED

I've had almost the EXACT same thing happen to me before. It's hard not to choke the morons sometimes.

How dare you speak about your 2nd Amendment rights in public?

:xmad:

MX_Chick_42, you are luck to have Amishman44 with you at work. Hang with Amishman44 and IMHO just leave all politics to yourself while your at work.

Jobs, especially in the medical field like yours, should be cherished in today's messed up economy. Consider yourself extremely lucky to be as knowledgeable as you are about guns and understand there is a time and a place for everything.

TK :twocents:

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Its mind boggling to me how ONE person can be offended by the stance that the majority of people have at a work place and the company will bend over backwards to cater to that ONE person. I have found that the ONE person is also usually the annoying one that always shows up late leaves early and thinks the company owes them everything for having graced that company. Thankfully the people I work with have somewhat of the same mindset and we arent offended by others views or opinions, it has always made for great talk during breaks and lunch.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I agree with Turn Key. I hate to say it but anything we say or any compelling arguement we offer will never convince the sheeple. We can try and succeed in some areas, but mostly they want to bay at the moon and get slaughtered like the rest of the animals.

Keeping our politics to ourself and not engaging in topics of discussion accordingly to that subject really helps not only keep a low profile (in cases where folks want to "make an example" or similar) but has a bad side effect: The evil prevales when good people do nothing.

Sort of a tossup. When the conversation turns to politics and I am talking with an intelligent person, I will occasionally divulge my opinion, give supporting concepts, and leave it at that (I am not there to convince others, but do so by example). Nitwits, like your coworker there, never hear one word from me regarding politics (and usually anything else).

In this economy: Job first politics second.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Someone, where my brother works, ratted him out, for being on this site, at work, and he was called on the carpet for this. It is not like other people, aren't on other web sites, during work hours, but this is a GUN thing, a big, no no .....

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    This burns me up. I know exactly how you feel. I share a work area with a very conservative republican and a very radical, ill-informed liberal democrat. The republican and I typically see eye to eye and discuss a lot of issues. We like to joke that we are solving the worlds problems. The democrat is very emotional about issues that we talk about. Even when we suggest (not demand) other alternatives, she puts the blinders on and won't even consider them. I can't stand when people won't even acknowledge an alternate view. Its all about discussion. We work through resolutions to try come to a theory about how well they work or how bad they might be. Me and the republican try to keep it light but the dems emotions get the best of her. She has actually got so upset that she stormed off crying. And the topic wasn't even that heavy. We were talking about this so-called "government transparency." LOL.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I agree with Turn Key. I hate to say it but anything we say or any compelling arguement we offer will never convince the sheeple. We can try and succeed in some areas, but mostly they want to bay at the moon and get slaughtered like the rest of the animals.

Keeping our politics to ourself and not engaging in topics of discussion accordingly to that subject really helps not only keep a low profile (in cases where folks want to "make an example" or similar) but has a bad side effect: The evil prevales when good people do nothing.

Sort of a tossup. When the conversation turns to politics and I am talking with an intelligent person, I will occasionally divulge my opinion, give supporting concepts, and leave it at that (I am not there to convince others, but do so by example). Nitwits, like your coworker there, never hear one word from me regarding politics (and usually anything else).

In this economy: Job first politics second.

DISPOSABLE...I was living in Avon when the 'Protectorate' took over (in 1999) and the occupation began. I had purchased one of those new condo's behind the Wally World on Rockville Road. Shoot, I remember when that stretch of road was all just grassy fields. I was down there this past March and couldn't believe it...I wouldn't want to drive that stretch of road on a daily basis now for anything!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom