1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Anyone been to one?

Anyone purchase a firearm at one?

Anyone attend the one in Effingham?
    All American Sho-Show - Effingham, IL

If I purchase a long gun:
    Can I take it home with me?
    Am I stuck waiting for FFL shipment (at which point it would've been worth it to buy it in IN)?
    Am I stuck waiting for IL buyer waiting periods (or is that the infamous gun show loop hole?)?

The drive is probably easier than going to the 1500, but I don't want to make it more of a hassle in the long run. If I was to save significant amount of money on an AR and bring it home same day I could handle my handgun being unloaded in the car for 3 hours. If I just went to compare a half dozen ARs side by side, I think I might be better just stopping by an IN dealer with plenty in stock.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    It's a PITA if you don't have the Firearm Owner's I.D. (FOID) card required by the People's Republic of Illinois. You can't even touch a firearm without it.

I went to a show in Obamaland last fall. When I found a gun I really wanted to look at (a collecter-grade IH Garand), I managed to get them to let me touch it by showing my IN DL and LTCH. But they were still pretty reluctant.

Soon you'll need the IL Politburo's permission to even look at a firearm.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    When I lived in ILL. I rented tables at the Kankakee Gun Show from 1992 to 2002 ...I don't even think they have them there anymore. I moved to Indiana in 2004 and been happy about that ever since. I wouldn't even bother to attend a ILL. gun show

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Went to that one a few months back when mrs godawgs had to be in Effingham for business and I had an hour to kill. It's a lot smaller than the 1500, maybe 20 vendors total and there are signs everywhere indicating that you can't touch the firearms without a FOID. Without that card, you probably have to go the normal ffl route but you can't even put your hands on the merchandise so that removes the wh0le point of looking in person for me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's a PITA if you don't have the Firearm Owner's I.D. (FOID) card required by the People's Republic of Illinois. You can't even touch a firearm without it.

I went to a show in Obamaland last fall. When I found a gun I really wanted to look at (a collecter-grade IH Garand), I managed to get them to let me touch it by showing my IN DL and LTCH. But they were still pretty reluctant.

Soon you'll need the IL Politburo's permission to even look at a firearm.

No, you do NOT need a FOID card to handle a firearm in IL if you're not a resident if IL.

Doesn't mean that all dealers know this law, however.

For instance, the Cabela's in Hoffman Estates, IL (In Cook County, actually) has signs posted several places that if you're an out-of-state resident, all you need to show is a driver's license (and there might've been a requirement for being 18+ years old, but I can't remember)

I don't know if they make out-of-staters abide by their waiting period or not.

And you can buy as many handguns from IL you want, too. As long as you arrange for shipping.

-J-

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I have purchased long guns in Ill several times at retail outlets. Touching and feeling was all a part of the process, but they do make you wait 24 hours to pick up the firearm following purchase and paperwork.:ingo:

Top Bottom