• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this in the forum. I came across this April 2011 ruling which exonerated an Indiana man who was caught with a pistol in his car in Illinois.

I think it's an absolute must read for any Indiana permit holder who has ever contemplated taking his gun into Illinois. In fact, I think I'll print this out and keep it in the car since I have to travel there regularly.

I've wondered a hundred times what would happen to me if an IL cop found a gun anywhere in my car in any condition/location. This ruling is very clarifying.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/ILSupremeCourtVisitorsDontNeedFoid.pdf

Hat-tip to handgunlaw.us where I found the ruling.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    This has been published before, but I think seeing it every now and then is nice.

It is truly unfortunate that the right of the people to keep and bear arms can be infringed by a state or locality that believes firearms cause problems and not the criminals using them.

What about "shall not be infringed" do they not understand???

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This has been published before, but I think seeing it every now and then is nice.

It is truly unfortunate that the right of the people to keep and bear arms can be infringed by a state or locality that believes firearms cause problems and not the criminals using them.

They obviously do not understand any of it

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good find. I hadn't read this one before and I'm willing to bet that melensdad has referenced it a few times, in his discussions of transporting in Illinois. It looks like the justices made a mistake or two in the ruling, tho. In our favour, but a mistake due to their unfamiliarity with firearms and licenses. It reads to me that they linked the license to 1. registration of a firearm and 2. licensing of the specific firearm, rather than to any given firearm. Minor, but something I just seemed to pick up on. Still doesn't mean I'm likely to carry a firearm into Illinois. Better to just avoid the state till they get permits and we get reciprocity.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

One can understand a law perfectly and then choose to ignore it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Glad I read this in its entirety this time. Printed for storage in car, just in case. I avoid Illinois when possible, but it is the most expeditious route to South Dakota, where I drive several times a year. This ruling will be kept next to the pistol, on such occasions. +1 to OP!

Top Bottom