ILL: Gov Quinn uses AV power as expected. It's pretty bad...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County

Yes. I've been watching every news item and local discussion about this topic.

The expected and anticipated result is that Quinn's veto will be roundly overridden, and Illinois will become a Shall Issue state (albeit with way too many restrictions and roadblocks) on Tuesday (7/9/13). Looking forward for 2 days from now. :) (Of course, this is Illinois, so anything can happen.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yes. I've been watching every news item and local discussion about this topic.

The expected and anticipated result is that Quinn's veto will be roundly overridden, and Illinois will become a Shall Issue state (albeit with way too many restrictions and roadblocks) on Tuesday (7/9/13). Looking forward for 2 days from now. :) (Of course, this is Illinois, so anything can happen.
    Hey man, remember me? Yeah, you're right about anything could happen. I hope this just finally passes in IL and then blows over. All of this confusion and political static could make or break concealed carry. I'd prefer if it just passed and then went away. Oh, any news if it'll be open carry and concealed or just concealed? I believe it says on concealed but I haven't read the law for myself.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Hey man, remember me? Yeah, you're right about anything could happen. I hope this just finally passes in IL and then blows over. All of this confusion and political static could make or break concealed carry. I'd prefer if it just passed and then went away. Oh, any news if it'll be open carry and concealed or just concealed? I believe it says on concealed but I haven't read the law for myself.

:yesway:

Concealed only. This law actually has a lot of "gun free zones", a difficult permit process, and a lot of other unfortunate points. But it is light years better than what we have now. If anyone is curious, the complete law text is online: HB0183sam005 98TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I work in IL every day, so I'm torn on whether I will get the permit. (Don't want to spend the $500 for training and my permission slip). One thing I'm happy about is that they allow loaded car carry for non-residents with home-state permits. At least you can have a loaded gun on your person while you travel into or through IL.

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    So admittedly I'm a skimmer of world class proportions. What are the details of this? Reciprocity? dis the leave in the 16 hours of training? $150 for residents and $300 for on residents? Gun free zones, and what are they?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Veto overridden by both chambers of Illinois General Assembly. Carry licenses are now a reality in Illinois.
    Correction, carry licenses will be a reality once the Illinois State Police finish dragging their feet on the implementation of a licensure process. I figure it'll take about 13 months before the first application is even acted upon, and for the first year, there will be a 75%+ rejection rate.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Only good thing that I've seen from this law so far is that non-residents with permits from their home states won't have to disarm at the border anymore, so long as the gun stays in their car.
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident fromtransporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Correction, carry licenses will be a reality once the Illinois State Police finish dragging their feet on the implementation of a licensure process. I figure it'll take about 13 months before the first application is even acted upon, and for the first year, there will be a 75%+ rejection rate.

They have 6 months to come up with the licensing mechanism and have everything in place. They're supposed to act on the applications within 90 days after that. We'll see....

I'm most interested to see what training will qualify.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Only good thing that I've seen from this law so far is that non-residents with permits from their home states won't have to disarm at the border anymore, so long as the gun stays in their car.
    Does this become effective tomorrow? I will be traveling through Illinois tomorrow and it would be nice if I didn't have to stow it in the trunk while traveling.

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Nevermind found the answer on the Illinois State police site FAQ under firearms

Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?
    No. Out-of-state residents who want to carry a concealed firearm on his/her person must obtain an Illinois Concealed Carry License to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Illinois. In order for out-of-state residents to be eligible for an Illinois license, their state’s concealed carry license laws must be substantially similar to those of Illinois. The Illinois State Police will establish rules to identify the elements necessary to meet the substantially similar requirement.

However, out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately.

If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LTCH has always allowed for both on-person and in-vehicle carry while at hand. Without LTCH, only in-vehicle "carry", unloaded, locked case, and out-of-reach is permitted. This latter part was recently clarified.

Edit: Ah, you meant outside of Indiana. Outside of Indiana, you only have those privs bestowed by those foreign republics, according to their own laws. If they deign to recognize the IN LTCH to any degree, that recognition and degree is up to them.

Top Bottom