I'll never carry a copy of my LTCH again!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I lost my wallet Friday afternoon and did not realize it was missing until Saturday morning. I can be absent minded and frequently misplace things, so it's not uncommon for my wallet to go missing for a day or two.

I got a call from the fraud department at my credit union Monday morning. Someone tried using my debit card to make three suspicious charges to my account. Fortunately only the first charge of $6XX.XX was approved and the other two were declined because of suspicious activity. The officer at the local PD told me he would investigate, but that usually nothing come of these things. The thieves usually run the debit card until it stops working then trash it. I told him I was concerned because my SS card, bank info, and LTCH were all in my wallet (yeah, I carried way too much info in my wallet). I was also angry because I carry photos in my wallet that I can't replace and I knew the dirtbags would just toss those in the trash.

After leaving the PD, and knowing the officer didn't care as much as I do, I decided to call my credit union to see if I could find out more info. I talked to a bunch of useless people that kept redirecting me to different departments. I got tired of talking to people that couldn't help so I gave up for a while. Finally, I decided to give it one more try. The gal that answered the phone went above and beyond to help! It turns out that my debit card was physically swiped three times in ZAMBIA Monday morning! :xmad:

I called the officer and he told me that my identity had likely been stolen a while back and I'd just noticed it because of greater vigilance over the lost wallet. I assured him that I keep a keen eye on my accounts and no suspicious charges had appeared before losing my wallet. I reiterated my concern over the dirtbags having my info and knowing that I have valuable easy to pawn items (guns). He told me keep an eye out and let him know if I find anything else.

I was going over the events of the day with my wife on the phone when I saw a vehicle I didn't recognize sitting across the street. I grabbed my binoculars but could not see the license plates and there was too much light reflection off the window to get a good ID. I called the officer and he told me he would be over to check it out. I made the mistake of opening the screen door to get a better look. As soon as the guy realized I was watching him, he took off (about three minutes before the police got here).

I've learned several valuable lessons so far:
    1. I will never carry anything gun related in my wallet again, including my LTCH. If all that I had to worry about was some missing money and possible fraud I'd be much less concerned. As it is, my wife no longer feels safe in our home; and if I'm honest I don't feel great here either. I am at Code Orange constantly, but with no specifically identified threat . If an officer needs to check the status of my LTCH, they can call it in; I'm not carrying that thing again.
    2. I carried WAY too much information in my wallet. My social security card belongs in the safe. Priceless photos do not belong in leather that's subjected to constant butt sweat. Cards from your credit union/bank that have account numbers on them should be in the safe with your SS card or in the fireplace.
    3. Be extra careful when you're tired. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and had been hunting all morning. If I had focused harder and paid more attention when I knew I was fatigued I wouldn't be going through this.
    4. Getting gas at a Murphy's gas station on a Friday the 13th during a year ending in 13 is just tempting fate too much! So help me, if I live to 2113, I'll never do that again!
    5. I hate dirtbags.
    6. My tactics suck! If I'd slipped out the back door or basement door I probably could have gotten the plate number of the suspicious vehicle. If I'd just stayed hidden in the house the police officer might have had a chance to talk to the guy. I did the dumbest thing possible and let the guy know he was being watched and gave him the opportunity to get away.
    7. I HATE DIRTBAGS!

The only time I'll ever carry my LTCH is if I'm going to a state that requires you to carry your permission slip. Indiana no longer requires it; and I ain't doing it!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Glad you learned some things at least. It goes without saying that only the bare minimum should be in your wallet; no SS cards, birth certificates, marriage licenses, mortgage papers, etc. I don't even carry pics in mine.

Might I also recommend placing a fraud alert AND a security freeze on your credit report. The fraud alert can be placed by calling 1 of the three bureaus. I think the freeze requires a letter to each of the three (unless something has changed). These should prevent a credit report being pulled without your involvement (which will help put the kibosh on new accounts being opened in your name). Do it today. See link below.

Security Freeze

This is probably not over. You may have people casing your house, and also unfortunately, they may already profiled you as a bit naive due to carrying things in your wallet that have no business being in there in this day and age. Unfortunate, but not unlikely. Harden things up and take care.

Last edited:

Bull1315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Terre Haute
    Lessons learned I guess, as hard as that is to hear. I would keep a close eye around your house. If "Dirtbag" was already casing the place he might be back. I agree with Cosermann, putting a freeze on your acounts might be a hassle but will certainly help in stopping any more problems.
    Good luck

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    o,k,.... I guess i've missed something.....I thought we are required to carry our LTCH if we are carrying our handgun. Am I wrong?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    o,k,.... I guess i've missed something.....I thought we are required to carry our LTCH if we are carrying our handgun. Am I wrong?

I thought the law changed, stating you don't have to have the LTCH on your person?
    Checkout post 122 an thread for more info.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...1-oc-wal-mart-missouri-hassled-police-13.html

posted by Cathyinblue
    IC 35-47-2-1(a) formerly held the language, "without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession." After July 1, 2011, that language was changed to, "without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun." The origin of this change is P.L.164-2011, which was SEA 506-2011, according to http://indianalawblog.com/documents/.../PLBL-2011.PDF. SEA 506-2011's final printing can be read here: http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/...E/SE0506.1.pdf. The controversy may stem from the fact that IC 35-47-2-24 remaining unchanged in all its odiousness. -24 places the burden on the handgun carrier to prove that he is legal to carry a handgun in the situation in which a LEO finds him, should the LEO not already bear affirmative knowledge of same. In such a case, presentation of the physical artifact of the LTCH satisfies -24, but so does verbal recitation of the license number to an officer with a radio or IDACS terminal without unduly presenting the LEO with the carrier's name, address, or DoB, which would be what would satisfy IC 34-28-5-3.5, Refusal to Identify Self, which has already been discussed ITT.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Thanks for the heads up on the security freezes coserman. I had already done the fraud alerts, but now I've done the freezes as well. The freezes were quick, easy, and free. All three credit bureaus are now locked down. I spent most of yesterday filing police reports, doing fraud alerts, setting up new accounts, filing with the FTC, etc. Today I have to get a new license, social security card and finish reports with my credit union.

Getting replacement documents is an inconvenience. Waiting to get my money back from the credit union is a hassle. Losing irreplaceable photos of loved ones is heart-breaking. Some thieving dirtbag knowing I have firearms in my house, pisses me off!

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Latest update from the police:
    Apparently the DVR was down at the gas station so they don't have any video from Friday. So missing the guy yesterday sucks even worse.

Warning :tinfoil: thoughts ahead:
    Makes me wonder if someone turned in my wallet and one of the workers took it. My dad is about to retire as a maintenance worker for a nationwide chain of gas stations; security cameras down is a BIG deal. The manager said the cameras were down all weekend. For my dad's company that would be an emergency work order that would have to be fixed in less than 24 hours. I hate it when I start wearing tinfoil!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've only lost my wallet once, and that was in high school. I swore I'd never do it again and so far it hasn't. Hopefully this will help your forgetfulness.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    That Pink Paper is common paper. My original is locked up in my safe and I carry a copy!
    You missed the point of the OP. if you lose your wallet the person who finds it now know that you have a handgun because if your LTCH in your wallet and has your address. He may come looking for it.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I lost my wallet Friday afternoon and did not realize it was missing until Saturday morning. I can be absent minded and frequently misplace things, so it's not uncommon for my wallet to go missing for a day or two.

I got a call from the fraud department at my credit union Monday morning. Someone tried using my debit card to make three suspicious charges to my account. Fortunately only the first charge of $6XX.XX was approved and the other two were declined because of suspicious activity. The officer at the local PD told me he would investigate, but that usually nothing come of these things. The thieves usually run the debit card until it stops working then trash it. I told him I was concerned because my SS card, bank info, and LTCH were all in my wallet (yeah, I carried way too much info in my wallet). I was also angry because I carry photos in my wallet that I can't replace and I knew the dirtbags would just toss those in the trash.

After leaving the PD, and knowing the officer didn't care as much as I do, I decided to call my credit union to see if I could find out more info. I talked to a bunch of useless people that kept redirecting me to different departments. I got tired of talking to people that couldn't help so I gave up for a while. Finally, I decided to give it one more try. The gal that answered the phone went above and beyond to help! It turns out that my debit card was physically swiped three times in ZAMBIA Monday morning! :xmad:

I called the officer and he told me that my identity had likely been stolen a while back and I'd just noticed it because of greater vigilance over the lost wallet. I assured him that I keep a keen eye on my accounts and no suspicious charges had appeared before losing my wallet. I reiterated my concern over the dirtbags having my info and knowing that I have valuable easy to pawn items (guns). He told me keep an eye out and let him know if I find anything else.

I was going over the events of the day with my wife on the phone when I saw a vehicle I didn't recognize sitting across the street. I grabbed my binoculars but could not see the license plates and there was too much light reflection off the window to get a good ID. I called the officer and he told me he would be over to check it out. I made the mistake of opening the screen door to get a better look. As soon as the guy realized I was watching him, he took off (about three minutes before the police got here).

I've learned several valuable lessons so far:
    1. I will never carry anything gun related in my wallet again, including my LTCH. If all that I had to worry about was some missing money and possible fraud I'd be much less concerned. As it is, my wife no longer feels safe in our home; and if I'm honest I don't feel great here either. I am at Code Orange constantly, but with no specifically identified threat . If an officer needs to check the status of my LTCH, they can call it in; I'm not carrying that thing again.
    2. I carried WAY too much information in my wallet. My social security card belongs in the safe. Priceless photos do not belong in leather that's subjected to constant butt sweat. Cards from your credit union/bank that have account numbers on them should be in the safe with your SS card or in the fireplace.
    3. Be extra careful when you're tired. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before and had been hunting all morning. If I had focused harder and paid more attention when I knew I was fatigued I wouldn't be going through this.
    4. Getting gas at a Murphy's gas station on a Friday the 13th during a year ending in 13 is just tempting fate too much! So help me, if I live to 2113, I'll never do that again!
    5. I hate dirtbags.
    6. My tactics suck! If I'd slipped out the back door or basement door I probably could have gotten the plate number of the suspicious vehicle. If I'd just stayed hidden in the house the police officer might have had a chance to talk to the guy. I did the dumbest thing possible and let the guy know he was being watched and gave him the opportunity to get away.
    7. I HATE DIRTBAGS!

The only time I'll ever carry my LTCH is if I'm going to a state that requires you to carry your permission slip. Indiana no longer requires it; and I ain't doing it!

The thing I don't understand is the card being physically swiped in Zambia? I understand they can just clone the card, but I doubt that the person that stole your wallet sold your info, and someone cloned the card number that quickly. It's possible, but not likely that the person that stole/found your wallet would do that, and do it that quick. Most dirtbags just use it up until they cant anymore, most don't sell info or know how, that is usually an intended purpose. Meaning they stole your wallet for the sole/main purpose of cloning your cards. It is possible these are two separate dirtbags. One dirtbag stole the wallet, another dirtbag that has nothing to do with the other dirtbag, stole your info in a separate incident and is now cloning your cards. I don't know, but that is weird. Sorry it happened brother, definitely put a freeze/stop on your credit.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Latest update from the police:
    Apparently the DVR was down at the gas station so they don't have any video from Friday. So missing the guy yesterday sucks even worse.

Warning :tinfoil: thoughts ahead:
    Makes me wonder if someone turned in my wallet and one of the workers took it. My dad is about to retire as a maintenance worker for a nationwide chain of gas stations; security cameras down is a BIG deal. The manager said the cameras were down all weekend. For my dad's company that would be an emergency work order that would have to be fixed in less than 24 hours. I hate it when I start wearing tinfoil!

Its more common than you would think. I've had many robberies where the cameras don't work, the employees don't know how to operate them, the DVR is on a 24 hour loop and erases the video before we can burn it, etc. Its incredibly frustrating. Last year I had a liquor store robbery that gave me two VHS tapes as their security footage. Yes. Last year. VHS. The machine had been recording over those same tapes for so many years that even once they drug the equipment out to look at them it was worthless.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I went threw a mess when someone stolen my wifes ID after she passed away. They filed for her tax return and got it. After arguing with the IRS I finaly got word from them that it was paid out to someone in FLA. They told me I need to contact the big 3 identy thief company's. I did. They would not talk to me. I got the automated run around. Asking me questions I could not ancwer without committing fraud. IRS told me I needed to fill out 3 different forms. One was a change of address beacuse the low lifes had changed it. I sent the forms in and they sent the change of address back beacuse I did not have the old address. The one the crooks changed it to. So my app was flagged. I called. They said we can't give you the address. So I said what do I do? They said to write stolen identity on the app. Still got it back. More PH calls made and more run around, useless answers. I gave up. It was a 1700 dollar refund too. It was hard to do. But I had enough. After 2 1/2 years I got a check and a explaination that I was scammed. They did pay a few bucks interest.

So moral of the story you can be dead and screwed over too.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I went threw a mess when someone stolen my wifes ID after she passed away. They filed for her tax return and got it. After arguing with the IRS I finaly got word from them that it was paid out to someone in FLA. They told me I need to contact the big 3 identy thief company's. I did. They would not talk to me. I got the automated run around. Asking me questions I could not ancwer without committing fraud. IRS told me I needed to fill out 3 different forms. One was a change of address beacuse the low lifes had changed it. I sent the forms in and they sent the change of address back beacuse I did not have the old address. The one the crooks changed it to. So my app was flagged. I called. They said we can't give you the address. So I said what do I do? They said to write stolen identity on the app. Still got it back. More PH calls made and more run around, useless answers. I gave up. It was a 1700 dollar refund too. It was hard to do. But I had enough. After 2 1/2 years I got a check and a explaination that I was scammed. They did pay a few bucks interest.

Sorry about your wife. Your experience with the tax theft issue is the big new thing. It's a huge problem getting worse every year. And the center of it all is Florida. Search youtube and you will find several videos on this subject.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I swear it is easier for criminals to file this paperwork and make it seem legit than for the ACTUAL PERSON to do so! How were they able to change everything so quickly when you had such a hard time???

It is aggravating to say the least, let alone the sorrow over the loss of a spouse.

SandyConner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Yorktown
    Wow... sorry to hear that!

What a mess.

I am glad to have learned from your situation though. I never carry my SS card, but I went through my stuff tonight and cleared everything out that was not critical. No pics. No credit cards, no spare key, etc. Nothing left in there except for a driver license and some cash. I have a slip of paper with a credit card number written on it in case I need to do a transaction, but it is written in a code so that it cannot be easily highjacked.

My license to carry a handgun is not here yet, but I am going to have to figure out what to do about that. I seem to recall somebody here had a copy of the license adhered to the inside of the grip on their pistol... seems like it might be a good idea as long as it didn't get in the way of operating the pistol.

Again, sorry to hear about your troubles.... thanks for the lesson though.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was told they got most of what they needed from the Obit and a copy of the death certificate. I guess people troll for this info. She had a resonably well paying job. Plenrty of sicko's out there.

Top Bottom