• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I read that part of the proposed gun control bill will include a section that makes it illegal to sell a firearm without the consent of the government. I wonder if this is true? If so, people that are buying firearms to sell for a profit down the road may have just hit a little snag.

castle134

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    But since Indiana doesn't require registration of firearms how would they know who has what and sells what to other people if sells are done ftf and then people resell for profit

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    If it ends up being a part of legislation, it would be a snag for anyone doing a private sale and not just those being done for profit. Gun shows as we know them will change or cease to exist at all. There will end up being much overreaction to all of this. I just saw that they were canceling American Guns, one of Discovery channels better rated shows, because of everything. A lot of misinformed people are spreading a lot of bad info at the moment. If someone is going to do something bad, they can do it with or without a gun. If they cannot use a 30 round mag, what's to stop them from carrying more 10 round mags?

And for making it illegal to own a particular firearm or class of them....how well do people think that will work? Do people still obtain illegal drugs and do bad things to get money to pay for them? Or even OD and kill themselves on them? What something legal, like alcohol? How many people die from a year from alcohol related car crashes? How well would prohibition work out. We are missing the route of the problem entirely. It starts at home with parents raising their children bad getting someone with issues help that they may need.

Edit: I would like to see some numbers of drug and alcohol related deaths vs guns. Or even some stats about other things used in violent crimes.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    From what I have read and heard, one of the biggest things the left wants is a national registration system and to close what they refer to as the "gun show loophole." I am assuming if that is put into effect you will have to go through an FFL and do a NICS check even for a private sale. At that point all firearms transactions will be able to be tracked.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Please stop spreading rumors. If you are going to post something, at least post a link to the article. All we need is more fear mongering.

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    I had heard the same headline as they said Biden would be heading the "task force." They mentioned the ideal solution would be restrictions on magazine capacity, private sales(referred to as the gun show loophole) and a couple other things. I'm sure something will happen and new restrictions will be in place but those who have a concern should have cured their itch a while ago.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    the left wants is a national registration system and to close what they refer to as the "gun show loophole." I am assuming if that is put into effect you will have to go through an FFL and do a NICS check even for a private sale. At that point all firearms transactions will be able to be tracked.
    This^.

Please stop spreading rumors. If you are going to post something, at least post a link to the article. All we need is more fear mongering.
    Unforturnately, it's not rumor this time.
    I'm sure a link with transcript will be along shortly.
    I've also only heard it on the radio news, but I'll be searching for a link soon and I'll post it if someone doesn't scoop it.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    From what I have read and heard, one of the biggest things the left wants is a national registration system and to close what they refer to as the "gun show loophole." I am assuming if that is put into effect you will have to go through an FFL and do a NICS check even for a private sale. At that point all firearms transactions will be able to be tracked.

What will be the purpose? Just so they can blame whom ever the firearm is registered to, as well as the person who committed a crime with the firearm, if it is not the owner?

In the case of the Recent school shooting the rifle belonged to the mother. Well she wasn't alive to be held accountable. So what good would it have done?

I agree something needs to change. Why not make existing laws more strick?
    For example: someone caught with handgun, and does not have legal license to posses it, manditory 10 years in prison with no early realese. I know it will not solve everything but it would sure make someone think " if I get caught with this gun that's 10 years in prison" not just a felony charge and smack on the hand.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Stop the rumors.

The federal government does not control intrastate business transactions. The sale of firearms interstate already require a FFL holder/NICS. The state of Indiana would have to change it's laws. There is nothing Gun Control in Chief (except for Mexico and Chicago) can do about it.

The Dems know this. That is why Biden is in charge. If it was going to be a real issue, an up and coming Dem would have taken the lead.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Michael Bloomberg: 6 ways to stop gun madness

Just one person's opinion...granted a very wealthy, high-profile, anti-gun person.

Second, the president's legislative package should fix the broken background check system. Currently, nearly half of all gun sales in the U.S. are conducted without a background check. Criminals, the mentally ill, minors and domestic abusers are all prohibited from purchasing guns, but they all can do so as easily as attending a gun show or going online. The check takes only a few seconds, and it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights. That's why polls show that more than 80% of gun owners support a change in law to require background checks for all gun sales.

Fixing the background check system also requires the federal government to compel states to submit all necessary records on felons, domestic abusers, the seriously mentally ill and others to the background check system. Right now, far too many records are not in the system, which allows dangerous people -- including the Virginia Tech shooter -- to pass the background check and buy guns.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    I agree something needs to change. Why not make existing laws more strick?
    For example: someone caught with handgun, and does not have legal license to posses it, manditory 10 years in prison with no early realese. I know it will not solve everything but it would sure make someone think " if I get caught with this gun that's 10 years in prison" not just a felony charge and smack on the hand.

Really? Not putting you down, but you really need to think through the consequences of additional limits. How would your proposal have stopped this shooting in Conn?
    Our first emotion should be ANGER against a law which mandated that a principle & teacher must die because they can't stop the threat with the best means possible. "Gun Free Zone" really helped, didn't it?

No means to resist vs means to resist? I vote for the means to resist

The 2nd Amendment says nothing about licensing to keep and bear arms! The gun is not the problem, the moral decay of our society is.

We need LESS gun control nonsense, not more.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Wasn't hard for me to find the text of the comments that's got everyone scared.

Dianne Feinstein said:
    “On the first day of the new Congress, I intend to introduce a bill stopping the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of assault weapons as well as large ammunition magazines, strips and drums that hold more than 10 rounds,” Feinstein said.“I am in the process of gathering support for the bill in the Senate and House.”

Link to article where I found this: Obama Supports Assault Weapon Ban Legislation Proposed By Senator Dianne Feinstein | Politics

Maybe not the best source, but the text of her comments are all over the interwebz.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville

I've seen this too. Their argument is that almost half of the guns out there are transferred without background checks (someone already provided the Bloomberg-stated "fact" that he came up with) and this loophole is being exploited. Of course, numerous sources have debunked this "statistic" (if that's what you can call it since it was likely pulled out of his @ss). If they do close the gunshow loophole, I expect that it won't have a major impact on gun shows. Many of the sellers likely already have an FFL and if not someone will set up a few booths and do nothing but FFL transfers. They'll make money, it'll add some extra cost to buying a gun, but in the end the government will have its feel-good measure in place and the show will go on.

Top Bottom