Illinois Permit for working in Illinois?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    So Im going to start working in downtown chicago selling health insurance for 4 months (Yeah so exciting first job out of college though) and Im probalby going to be working a bunch of overtime and very late

I have a Indiana Carry permit and will have my gun in my car (and yes I have a locking metal safe for the storage requirements when I am out of the car and Im looking to get a cheap car gun to so I will not cry to badly if it gets stolen but thats another story)

But I am personally wondering if I am working in Illinois but am an Indiana resident can I get a Illinois carry permit? Such a thing would be useful for both the greater reciprocity as well as to avoid any legal issues if I have to get out of my car especially at night.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    hmmm well then I guess I should just get something cheap that Im not going to cry if it gets jacked and with gnarly effect on target and keep it in the safe in my car then.

A Tokarev actually sounds pretty good to pop vests and to punch through car bodies in my thinking and they at least used to be cheap

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    hmmm well then I guess I should just get something cheap that Im not going to cry if it gets jacked and with gnarly effect on target and keep it in the safe in my car then.

A Tokarev actually sounds pretty good to pop vests and to punch through car bodies in my thinking and they at least used to be cheap

I had to do 3 years in Chicago without carrying.

My advice: know where you are on the chessboard.

Where is the office?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Second hand story, but my father worked in Chicago for a while (while living in IN) and one of his co-workers had a gun stolen from his car. He called the police to report it, gave them the information and was promptly arrested (ticketed? again, second hand).

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    There is no requirement for the gun to be locked in a safe while you are not in the car.

I worked downtown Chicago for quite a while and there is not a great problem with ordinary crime. Past 7 at night I felt uncomfortable off the main streets but otherwise I never worried about it.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I also work in IL and I only have my gun in the car as a last resort. Legally, I can carry it while driving as the law does apply to that and even leave it fully loaded in my car when I park it. There's nothing in the law that states that I have to actually be passing through the state. Since I don't live in this state, I am a visitor/non resident. The same applies for if I stay at a family member's house with my guns as long as they have given permission.

Not sure about magazine restrictions applying but since being a non resident, I'm sure the idea of being a non resident is that those don't apply either.

Top Bottom