• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I am building my own bench for my own needs. It is going to be pretty tall so I can use it while standing up, perhaps I will make a stool for it later. I have already changed the design a bit though. At first it was going to be a sit down bench, but I like the versatility of a standing one better. I am also going to add a middle shelf since I have more room to work with now, and probably two top shelves.

1115112033.jpg

I started it tonight in the garage.

1115111923.jpg

Then I got some cutting done.

1115111944.jpg

The top and bottom take shape.

1115112009.jpg

Soon it will stand on its' own.

1115112020.jpg

I think I am going to paint it a nice white, or grey color when I am done. But I shall post more picks and the Project goes on. :rockwoot:

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I built mine at 39" high. I can stand or sit on a stool that way. 39" before I added the top

One thing I did to mine was put 2x6's on the top then plywood.
    Sturdys it up alot more.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Loading bench

There are two things you can never have too much of on a reloading bench. Space and strength. I've used a couple of benches. On the first, which I built, I ended up reinforcing the top at the point where a press was mounted. The one I use now is a commercial work bench with a 1.5" heavy composite top on 2x4 steel legs. I still had to add another 2x4 leg in the front middle to support the top right where my Dillon 550 is mounted. Even at 7' x 2' I could use more surface but the room it's in and the cabinets at each end don't leave any more space. Looks like you've got strength covered. I hope the space is adequate. You can easily fabricate a full-size shelf underneath your bench.

I also mounted a multiple outlet surge protector on the center leg. It's got a tumbler, a scale, a light, and a radio/DVD player plugged into it all the time. The small vacuum cleaner can plug in when needed.

Last edited:

Bigjon07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Looking real good! I have made some of benches and it took me about three different ones to find all little things that I like. Enjoy and take notes for some day you might want to build another.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Looking real good! I have made some of benches and it took me about three different ones to find all little things that I like. Enjoy and take notes for some day you might want to build another.

I think that must be a typiccal reloading thing. Took me 4 benches to get them how I wanted. Of course I moved 3 times over the course of 15 yrs in that too. So each place I had to build again, and each 1 better and more to what I wanted and needed.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I went the easy way....sort of. I used some kitchen cabinets that I got from a yard sale. The had never been installed. I bought 7 cabinets for $80. Made a countertop out of plywood and a sheet of damaged formica I got at Menards. All done for about $120.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I built this one a few years ago and have been happy with it. Building your own bench is a good way to go, you get just what you want.

Loadingbench3-1.jpg

The legs are double 2x4 and the top and shelves are 3/4" plywood. Everything is glued and screwed. I don't remember the height but I stand when I work. I think I built it the same height as our kitchen counters.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    At 48 inches, mine is a bit taller than most, but I don't want to have to slouch over to work. extended periods of slouching cause my lower back to hurt.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Looking good- I built 2 last year that look exactly like that. They are extremely sturdy.

Sturdy is what I was thinking too. The MOD in me is thinking that you could also re-title this as "I'm building a place to be safe in case of a tornado" and put it in the disaster and prep sub-forum.:D

I debated on purple but I think it works either way.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Lookin good:yesway: You gonna put any shelves between the top an bottom?

Yes when I got home from work tonight, I built a mid self. There will also be a shelf on top and some pegboard behind that all to hang handy tools from. Should be all done and places tomorrow. Also going to put a powerstrip where it can't be seen so that it all looks very neat and tidy.

Top Bottom