• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My permanent, live-in house guest's been complaining that I've been turning the TV volume up more than she would like. I've been complaining that I can't tell what the characters are saying. Now, we know why.

Let me be clear, I'm not really going deaf. My hearing loss is not, as far as can be discerned ATM, progressive or degenerative, but I do now have a moderate hearing loss in my left ear from 2000 Hz and up. My right ear has moderate hearing loss at 2000 Hz, but recovers upward into mild hearing loss and then normal hearing levels as the frequencies rise. The problem now much of the human voice lives in the neighborhood of 2000 Hz. I've known I had left ear hearing difficulties listening to human voices for some time, as for some time I've been preferring the left side of classrooms so my right ear is directed toward the majority of speakers.

I'm only 41. Too young to have such hearing loss. Let this be a generic warning to INGO. When you head to the range, bring the hearing protection AND WEAR IT!

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My permanent, live-in house guest's been complaining that I've been turning the TV volume up more than she would like. I've been complaining that I can't tell what the characters are saying. Now, we know why.

Let me be clear, I'm not really going deaf. My hearing loss is not, as far as can be discerned ATM, progressive or degenerative, but I do now have a moderate hearing loss in my left ear from 2000 Hz and up. My right ear has moderate hearing loss at 2000 Hz, but recovers upward into mild hearing loss and then normal hearing levels as the frequencies rise. The problem now much of the human voice lives in the neighborhood of 2000 Hz. I've known I had left ear hearing difficulties listening to human voices for some time, as for some time I've been preferring the left side of classrooms so my right ear is directed toward the majority of speakers.

I'm only 41. Too young to have such hearing loss. Let this be a generic warning to INGO. When you head to the range, bring the hearing protection AND WEAR IT!

I hear that.

My eyes are bad enough, gotta protect those ears.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I am sorry for your . . . loss! Thanks for the reminder!

Remember kids: damage to your hearing is both cumulative and permanent. Once you break those little things that vibrate in resonance with sound wave, they're not coming back.

I predict an entire generation of deaf people will emerge from the iPod use too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a lot of hearing loss in my right ear due to otitis media throughout childhood, and in fact had my eardrum replaced in 1983. Yes, they can do that. She needs to [STRIKE]shut the **** up[/STRIKE]keep her peace. Set your volume as you need it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Yeah, when I was thirty I was working in the Bloomington GE plant and some jackass intentionally set off a klaxon one foot from my left ear. I didn't notice the loss until later and now need a hearing aid in one ear. Without it, I get the same complaints.

I worked with a guy that had hearing loss in one ear from birth. He was at his work van one day when someone from the office where he was working came up and bawled him out. He didn't even know the lady was there. She went in and complained to the office manager but the manager knew he had hearing loss so all was cool.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    41's not so young to lose your hearing. I had a lot of ear problems when I was younger--not to Mr. Evilwrench's extent but still. I've tried to protect what I have left and it still seems like the tinnitus gets worse all the time. My brother ignored advice to wear hearing protection all during his youth of working, shooting guns, etc--he's been about half-deaf for years.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Got to take care of those ears for sure. I always wear hearing protection when I shoot but I think I listen to music too loud. It might be a little selective too.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have a hearing loss at certain frequencies. One of my favorite TV shows is NCIS. Unfortunately, the new character, "Bishop", has a voice in that range. The only way I can understand what she is saying is to wear my electronic shooting muffs while watching the show. With these, I can adjust the volume for each ear, and turn the sound down on the TV itself.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    i pick up background noise better than voices so everyone says im deaf. the doctor says my hearing is so good its bad:):. ive been running angle grinders for 8 hours a day at work and in just 5 days my parents are saying i am yelling everything. and now i have to have the volume turned all the way up to hear it. Its really depressing knowing my hearing is going and im only 20.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Throw in some Tinnitus and things get really interesting. Then what you can't hear is also masked with the sound of escaping steam through a small crack or pin hole. DEEEElightful !!!

Top Bottom