• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have seen these comparisons before. The problem is, they didn't produce the number of deaths among garbage men, roofers, etc., while on the job; most were deaths that took place outside of work. That doesn't make it a fair comparison to me.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    I don't know if the author did or didn't consider dead at work vs dead outside of work. I figure dead is dead.

How do the statistics from the fair comparison compare and contrast?

Either way, I'm guessing he doesn't have a blue light screwed into his porch.

I doubt he has a flashing yellow one either.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have seen these comparisons before. The problem is, they didn't produce the number of deaths among garbage men, roofers, etc., while on the job; most were deaths that took place outside of work. That doesn't make it a fair comparison to me.
    Even if they did provide those numbers they would still find a way to ***** and moan about a cop because they just can't get along with authority.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were from on the job accidents.

I WOULD be surprised if more than a very few of the other deaths were from another human intentionally killing them.

I think therein lies the difference.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were from on the job accidents.

I WOULD be surprised if more than a very few of the other deaths were from another human intentionally killing them.

I think therein lies the difference.

Is one dead more dead than the other?

Does the wife of a garbage collector that is dead consider her loved one's death less important to her and her family than the wife of a law enforcement officer?

Should she?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    There's a difference he doesn't seem to be catching... How many of these cops were killed in accidents vs. murdered? Yes, you may be more likely to die accidentally if you are a roofer vs. a cop.

No one shoots roofers for putting a roof on your house.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I don't know if the author did or didn't consider dead at work vs dead outside of work. I figure dead is dead.

How do the statistics from the fair comparison compare and contrast?

Either way, I'm guessing he doesn't have a blue light screwed into his porch.

I doubt he has a flashing yellow one either.

Can you explain the significance of a blue light screwed into his porch? Or a flashing yellow one?

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008

Does the wife of a garbage collector that is dead consider her loved one's death less important to her and her family than the wife of a law enforcement officer?

Should she?

Yes. One dies because a truck runs him over. A cop dies because he swore a oath to protect you and there are those that murder him because of it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Corruption and abuse should be called out and addressed. We can sympathize with assassinated cops and still be against actions the bad ones do. I do not stand with such miserable people as wrote that commentary.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Should she?

Is "dead" the standard for an occupation being dangerous? This why articles like this one suck, it makes death the standard for danger. There are plenty of officers alive, that routinely deal with "safe" encounters of: diseased persons, needles, resistors, attackers, highway flybys.... but hey, no they aren't dead so it must not be that big of a safety concern. And how about IMPDs "Fish"? Where does he and others like him appear in those statistics?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Is "dead" the standard for an occupation being dangerous? This why articles like this one suck, it makes death the standard for danger. There are plenty of officers alive, that routinely deal with "safe" encounters of: diseased persons, needles, resistors, attackers, highway flybys.... but hey, no they aren't dead so it must not be that big of a safety concern. And how about IMPDs "Fish"? Where does he and others like him appear in those statistics?
    Yup. Fish lost half his brain, Mike Antonelli lost an eye, Santos Cortez is a paraplegic, and Leon Essig and Tim Conley have PTSD that has effectively ended their careers. But police work isn't dangerous.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield

Cops mostly die because they can't seem to wear their seatbelt like every other citizen and are subsequently killed in a wreck. These stats are pretty close to what I have seen from OSHA.

sidewinder27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield
    There's a difference he doesn't seem to be catching... How many of these cops were killed in accidents vs. murdered? Yes, you may be more likely to die accidentally if you are a roofer vs. a cop.

No one shoots roofers for putting a roof on your house.

More cops are killed in car accidents typically each year than are murdered.

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    More cops are killed in car accidents typically each year than are murdered.

Doesn't work that way here. See Franks post above. Last one in a car wreck I can recall was Beech Grove or Johnson County. The rest were outright murdered, attempted to murder or intentionally struck with a vehicle. We do not mirror the national statistic at all.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Should she?
    No but I can assure you that active human aggression is a much different way to die. Jason Baker was taking 7.62 fire and still managed to get on the radio and continue chasing the suspects until they finally ambushed him, killing him. He is no less dead than a garbage man who had a heart attack on the job. Do you not see the difference? Bradway kicked in the door and exchanged gunfire after being shot himself, then dying. Dead is dead. How about Renn? He engaged a man with a 7.62 with his .40. Brave man who lost that fight. My buddy Dewey was shot in the hip on a traffic stop and returned fire, killing the suspect. My other friend just recently took a bullet to the chest and returned fire, killing his suspect...while moving. Second Chance Armor has a new best friend after their vest saved his life. I'm only talking about IMPD and only while I've been employed as a LEO. Of course a death is tragic and I have EVERY respect for garbage men, mail men, construction workers, or any other honest days work. However, there is no real comparison to accidental deaths and death at the hands of someone deliberately taking your life away from you.

Top Bottom