Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    And I have a question, or two.

I recently aquired a Browning BAR in 30 06 Springfield

Searching the web for ammo I went to the CMP store and found some 30 06 M2 Ball Greek surplus.

Are these the same caliber, or do I need to look for "Springfield"?

Also, any tips on inexpensive 30 06? Or is there such a thing?

Thanks

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    30-06 IS inexpensive. Well less than $20 per box. And Aszerigan on here will load for you. 30-06 is a great round and capable of taking any game in North America and several kinds of game in Africa.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    The Greek 30.06 is a propper load for an M-1 garand or the BAR. Good price at CMP too. Go to Military collectors chatboards and get info on ammo specs

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Quick answer, yes, they are the same ammo.

Yeah, they do make ammo specifically for the Garand and BAR. It's usually a lighter load that doesn't beat up a semi-auto as much.

If you need some match, or just plinking ammo, drop me a PM.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    If you're thinking of buying foreign made "surplus" ammunition for the 30-06, be aware that some of it is corrosive. A year or two ago, they tried to peddle corrosive ammo as "lightly corrosive" or "mildly corrosive" which is about as accurate as "slightly pregnant".

The Browning will be a little hard on brass so you shouldn't plan on getting more than 3 or maybe 4 reloads depending on the manufacturer.

CMP is a fairly good source for surplus and you can sometimes get it through CPM affiliated clubs.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you're thinking of buying foreign made "surplus" ammunition for the 30-06, be aware that some of it is corrosive. A year or two ago, they tried to peddle corrosive ammo as "lightly corrosive" or "mildly corrosive" which is about as accurate as "slightly pregnant".

The Browning will be a little hard on brass so you shouldn't plan on getting more than 3 or maybe 4 reloads depending on the manufacturer.

CMP is a fairly good source for surplus and you can sometimes get it through CPM affiliated clubs.

I was just checking that out. I'm a member of an affiliated club. The Greek ball M2 ammo they are advertising is non-corrosive and reloadable brass cases.
    At $.49 a round, it doesn't look too bad.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    I was just checking that out. I'm a member of an affiliated club. The Greek ball M2 ammo they are advertising is non-corrosive and reloadable brass cases.
    At $.49 a round, it doesn't look too bad.

That's probably about as good as you'll get for new ammo. Obviously it's all full metal jacket so it's only suitable for paper and varmints.

I don't know if the Greek has crimped primers or not but one of the old(er) hands will be by in a while to let us know :) If it does, it's really not that much of a problem to swage or cut the crimp out of the way.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    That's probably about as good as you'll get for new ammo. Obviously it's all full metal jacket so it's only suitable for paper and varmints.

I don't know if the Greek has crimped primers or not but one of the old(er) hands will be by in a while to let us know :) If it does, it's really not that much of a problem to swage or cut the crimp out of the way.

^^^+1..Also check to see if the Greek is Berdan Primed?? I really don't know??
    If it is Berdan primed it is more useful for scrap then it is to try to reload.. Bill.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    Check the ones in the bottom of the can, sometimes the bottom rounds are a little corroded. If the brass appears to be badly corroded or pitted you might want to just pull the bullets for later reloading. I wouldn't "test" the ugly stuff in one of my expensive rifles. :twocents:

Some of the surplus 30-06 comes loaded in the 8 round M1 clips. Not a bad thing to hold onto.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    OK - i have some experience with BAR's, the 30-06, the M1 Garand, AND Greek surplus M2 ball.

First - the BAR is a quality rifle and do not feed it garbage.

Second - the Greek surplus is excellent ammo in my M1 garand, however, it is loaded LONG. It chambers freely in my H&R M1 garand, but I cannot close the bolt freely on my Rem 700 with most rounds I've tested. The ones I have been able to chamber have shot with signs of pressure spikes.

The BAR is particularly hard on brass. We have a .270 BAR in the family and brass is only good for two loadings before the rims are pretty chewed up.

Because of the longer OAL of the greek surplus M2 ball, I would not absolutely not try to shoot it in a BAR. If I were loading for a BAR, I would choose a middle of the road quality brass (because it's not going to last), full length size, carefully inspect brass after every firing and before every reloading. and I'd use moderately fast powders like Varget, 4064, 4895, etc. This is a hunch - even thought you don't have the op-rod concerns of the M1, my experience has been that powders in that burn range peform superbly in all forms of autoloaders.

And yes - post pics. BAR's are pretty.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The Greek surplus M2 from CMP is Boxer primed, non corrosive, and has crimped primer pockets. It also seems a little hotter than LC M2 Ball.

I would actually describe the primer crimp that I have seen as "staked". All have deprimed easily in the sizing die and reprimed with no grief. Subsequent reprimes have been "easier" but I've damaged no primers and not had any problems with obtaining proper seating depth. Obviously, this ammo was manufactured in large quantities over a long period of time, so your mileage may vary.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom