I'm thinking about getting a Derringer....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I've been thinking for awhile on getting a smaller carry gun.. and the Derringer has caught my eye a few times. Possibly the M1 .45/.410 model.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice/experience with these to offer?
    Any Pros or Cons that stand out?

Thank you !!! :ingo:

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I was just given an American Derringer DA38 by my dad and I am thinking of selling it. It looks like this, PM me if you are interested. I really don't know a lot a lot about them
    da38.jpg

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    For the size and weight, you should look at either a 2 inch snubbie in .38 or .357, or even a micro .380 from Taurus, Ruger, KelTec, Diamondback, etc etc.

Those derringers get a bad rap for a lot of things....and they tend to be pretty heavy. Nearly as heavy as a 5 shot revolver, and almost as large as well, (in some cases.)

There are better options now, I think. My .02.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    NAA

If you are talking derringer, I would think NAA 22 magnum. Really small,
    very well built, and 5 shots.
    Of course if you are thinking large caliber, that is a whole different thing.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I love my Bond 45/410.. I carry 000 buckshot in it...

+1 for Bond Arms. My dad has one that is his EDC and Ive shot it a few times and its not to bad.

The best thing about the Bond Arms is that you can buy the gun in any caliber then buy any other barrel that they make and swap it out in just a few minutes with an allen wrench. My dad bought his in .45/.410 and carries it that way, but he also has a 9mm barrel and a .45acp barrel. Great little gun for the money.

bradw266

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    +1 for Bond Arms. My father carries the Snake Slayer IV in a .410/.45 LC. Nice solid gun that's fun to shoot.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Thank you for all of the thoughts and advice thus far! Please keep them coming.
    I plan to test fire a few here soon to get a feel for it.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I remember a buddy of mine once told me he try to shoot a possum at 6 feet and missed both time with his 38special derringer.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    I'd picked up an American Derringer .45/.410 M1 a good bit back, never got around to shooting it. It was like new, trigger pull was horribly high and having smaller hands, I couldn't reliably pull the hammer all the way back on the first go, not good for a carry piece.

On the inverse, I have an uncle who carries one everyday and its held up well. Shooting and use has slickened the action up on his.

If you don't mind the looks (they look like wrought iron, not a lot of fancy going on), and can find one, I'd say get a Leinad (or whatever they're calling themselves now, used to be Cobray) Over/under model. I picked one up, carry it on occasion. Or, if your ok with a caliber reduction, a Hi Standard Derringer. I got a .22mag version and love the thing.

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    My brother has a 38 & 22, and I wouldn't take it if it was free put it that way! First, after you master the trigger pull to even FIRE the d*mn thing - comes the hard part, hitting something with it!! I'd recommend buying something else unless you just want to blow a hundred dollars or two. If that's the case...I'll take it :)!

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I also have a Bond Arms derringer. I have the 38sp/357 mag barrel and the 45lc/410 barrel. Love this gun. It IS a little heavy, but it is all stainless steel, and you might want to practice with it for awhile. With the 410 shotshell, anything within 10 ft. you will hit, without even trying.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Thank you for those that clued me into Bond Arms. I've been researching them and they have a "Snake Slayer" model that is supposed to be the way to go for carry.
    It is also a common outlook that Bond (Texas Made) is the better solution to the American Derringer.

.... plus... Lady Derringer just kinda freaks me out a bit....:scared:

I'm gonna check into testing some Bond models as well.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have shot a .38 derringer in the past, not too interested in one myself. Shooting enough to be proficient would be prohibitively painful. I would hate to think of shooting a 45/410 derringer. But, on the other hand, there is a guy from my neck of the woods that carries one in 45-70, and he claims its not too bad to shoot. To each their own, but IMHO, there are better choices for carry.

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    Aside from the small frame (.22, .25, .32) derringers from Cobra / Davis, most of the other offerings are big enough that it makes more sense to go with a pocket .380. Even then, when you factor in the nasty trigger pull and the reputation of barrels not being lined up, an NAA mini revolver looks like a better idea.

That doesn't explain the strange desire I have for a Sundance Point Blank, though...

Top Bottom