• ...and so much more!
  • whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    That should grab your attention...
    But it's true, I have been hashing out my idea on contender forums. My little girl wants to hunt Deer with me and I have an unused contender frame in the safe. So I am thinking of getting an adjustable rifle stock set to make a little carbine rifle for her. Putting on 18" to 20" barrel in 357max. This way I can start her out training with the gun using .38 special loads. and in a couple of years she could handle a 357mag load from the gun to take a deer at reasonable ranges. Then as she gets bigger she could step up to 357maximum loads and should have a nice light weight deer gun. One that I feel is pretty safe and certainly capable of great accuracy. Is light weight and simple to use.
    I have several .243win bolt guns but really don't want to cut the stock down to her size until she is almost fully grown, the contender can be fitted with an AR collapsible stock to give me some room to adjust the length of pull, and a decent red dot sight will work fine to give lots of wiggle room for eye relief.
    Anyone see any gaps in my logic, or have a better option?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You are on it. The 357 max is a very good deer gun and the contender is the most versatile rifle to start a new shooter out with.

38 special for causal shooting sessions. Up to 357 mag them max it out. 357 max brass is rather rare now but have even seen some factory loads around of late. My have been some new old stock.

Used that hat setup in a 14 inch pistol before. Others to consider if you can not get a rifle length 357 max would be 7-30 waters another fine round in the contender rifle

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have taken my girls out when they were pretty young but I think 4 years old is pretty young when she is going to be hunting. Personally I would wait a couple more years.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Starline has brass for the MAX. I believe Midway may still have some in stock as well. I have a 357Mag H&R Handi (16.75" barrel) that I am going to have reamed to MAX, though it will chamber a 360DW in the factory Mag chamber. I may not get to do much deer hunting, but it will be a fun carbine to mess around with.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Starline has brass for the MAX. I believe Midway may still have some in stock as well. I have a 357Mag H&R Handi (16.75" barrel) that I am going to have reamed to MAX, though it will chamber a 360DW in the factory Mag chamber. I may not get to do much deer hunting, but it will be a fun carbine to mess around with.

Right you are - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/74106
    They also have Jamison Brass brand for it - https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/20448

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I did the same thing 8yrs ago started building P1000549.JPG three of them, don't forget about the 22LR great for summer practice. Daughters sets include 22LR, 223, 357Max, .45cal ML. I went with G2 frames one in pic is my wifes

Top Bottom