• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Glock 20c out the door for 668 or Glock 20 out the door for 580.

I'm planning on getting an aftermarket barrel. If I got the 20c and got a non-ported aftermarket barre it would almost be like I have both the 20c and the 20 depending on which barrel I use. If anyone has experience with both guns I'd be very appreciative of your insights.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    hmmm... since you'll be getting an aftermarket barrel, I'd start with the basic, non-comp barrel. So my vote is G20.
    Look at Lone Wolf's offerings for other barrels (If you haven't already) - extended, ported/compensated, threaded, in any combination basically.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yeah that's another thing, which aftermarket barrel. I've heard plenty of good about lone wolf, kkm, and barsto. I really wonder if the kkm or the barsto are actually worth the extra money over a lone wolf. They all seem like pretty high quality.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Listen to me...and listen good. I HAD a 20c. HAD. I didn't believe all the hate on other forums and went ahead and bought it.

It will impress your buddies while firing at night.

It will impress the chicks in the dark indoor range.

It will blind you if you use it as your SD/house gun.

Your sights will get covered with crap in an instant. The thing that I hated the most about the gun. Constantly wiping the XS Big Dot that I put on it because the stock sights sucked. Covered the big white part and, of course, the tritium dot.

Save some dough, put it towards good 10mm ammo and get the one that is not compensated. It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to tame the recoil. Just cool cuts in the slide and barrel to show off to your gun buddies, that's all.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Listen to me...and listen good. I HAD a 20c. HAD. I didn't believe all the hate on other forums and went ahead and bought it.

It will impress your buddies while firing at night.

It will impress the chicks in the dark indoor range.

It will blind you if you use it as your SD/house gun.

Your sights will get covered with crap in an instant. The thing that I hated the most about the gun. Constantly wiping the XS Big Dot that I put on it because the stock sights sucked. Covered the big white part and, of course, the tritium dot.

Save some dough, put it towards good 10mm ammo and get the one that is not compensated. It does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to tame the recoil. Just cool cuts in the slide and barrel to show off to your gun buddies, that's all.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sure to some degree there is an advantage to having a compensator built in to your weapon but the negatives far outweigh any advantage you may get for having it. And it is ALWAYS there. You can't ever shut it off unless you DO drop the extra coin on the aftermarket barrel. Save the cash, buy the standard model and lots of extra mags and ammo.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    IMO, compensated guns are for gun games (competition).

As others have said, for self defense there are no real advantages to having a compensated gun, but several very real disadvantages.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Guns generally designed for defense and general shooting are better of being non compensated. Compensated handguns are over rated. As others have said they are better off on game guns where competitors taylor their hand loads for them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Ported guns are great for range use and that is the main reason to get one. I had a ported XD 40. It was wonderful to shoot. The sights did not get that dirty. It was not blinding to shoot during the day. It was a fantastic range gun. If you want a ported gun for range use BUY IT. Putting a non ported after market barrel will give you two guns. Don't listen to the haters.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Unless you hands are large, get the SF-short frame. Made all the difference for me. I can get all my hand around the grip. When I handled the normal frame, I couldn't get my hand all the way around the grip.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Thanks for all the responses. The non compensated g20 will be in my hand on Sunday. I'm already set up to reload it, now I just need to scrounge up components.

As far as size, I've held it. My hands are fairly big so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok. I really think the main reason it feels big is because I'm so used to my g17. I'm thinking once I get used to it it'll feel just as natural.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd also skip the -C version. No accident that lots of folks who buy these end up putting non-comped barrels in.

I'd consider a compensator, but only on a much longer barrel that got the comp away from the sights and only as a toy or something to goof with with super-hot loads.

A better comp CAN actually work. The LWD one appears to noticeably reduce muzzle flip in this vid:

http://youtu.be/zXIm6qZc1kc

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the responses. The non compensated g20 will be in my hand on Sunday. I'm already set up to reload it, now I just need to scrounge up components.

As far as size, I've held it. My hands are fairly big so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok. I really think the main reason it feels big is because I'm so used to my g17. I'm thinking once I get used to it it'll feel just as natural.

Wise choice. :yesway:

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Ported guns are great for range use and that is the main reason to get one. I had a ported XD 40. It was wonderful to shoot. The sights did not get that dirty. It was not blinding to shoot during the day. It was a fantastic range gun. If you want a ported gun for range use BUY IT. Putting a non ported after market barrel will give you two guns. Don't listen to the haters.

Yep, don't listen to us who have owned and shot them. Listen to the guy who HAD a ported XD 40...:rolleyes:

smegma11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    winter haven
    hmmm... since you'll be getting an aftermarket barrel, I'd start with the basic, non-comp barrel. So my vote is G20.
    Look at Lone Wolf's offerings for other barrels (If you haven't already) - extended, ported/compensated, threaded, in any combination basically.

I think throttletony and others don't get it. Your idea to get the 20c is much better. With additional barrels you can have both guns. If you buy the 20 you can"t use Glock's original ported barrels, just aftermarket externally ported ones, not the same thing. For $145 more you have both.

Take your own advice, The guns are identical except for the barrel and the slide and the slide ports wont be a problem when you put non ported barrels in it.
    There have been so many posts that the compensator flash DOES NOT BLIND you. That is such a silly fact to use to not buy a gun. Kind of like "I would never buy a Ruger because they have trouble shooting above altitudes of 30,000 feet." I mean, c'mon. If you are ever in the position where you might shoot someone in self defense in the dark, the 20c will scare them with the sound it makes alone.

Last edited:

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    love my 20C . sights have never been dirtied , and really , how much do any of you shoot at night ? as for home defence , the muzzle flash out of most guns will dialate the eyes . a little more out the top won't be an issue .

Top Bottom