I'm wanting a 1911 and dont know what to get!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • army bratt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    north side evansville
    i 've had a few 1911's and the rule of thumb is buy the most expencive one that you can afford. i have waisted a small fortune finding out that i love the springfield 1911-a1 . the next 1911 for me will be the kimber ultra carry...

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Not my listing but I have been drooling over a Kimber Warrior in the classifieds the past 24 hours. I already have a full size Kimber so I can't justify getting another (unless I think about it for another 5 minutes:D). I think it's listed for $900 exactly.

When you are spending that much, you should be able to get all the options you're looking for in the semi-custom or production 1911's. I'm a fan of Kimber but I know that Springfield also makes a very nice 1911 in a similar price range. Enjoy the search. Before too long, you'll need another (on second thought, maybe I do need that Warrior...).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just bought a second Para P12 used. It's my EDC and I don't want to pine for it in the evidence locker, should that come to pass. It's a 3.5 compact, 12+1, flawless in my experience. You hear about the bad experiences more than the good ones. Think about it. How many times would you get online to make a post about something that didn't break?
    Love near anything 1911 and really love my Para's. I have ran 3K through my
    P-12 since new and had only one failure with it. Spring retainer plug failed.
    That is common so pay attention to yours when cleaning it. The tab on the plug fails. I used that as excuse to put a Wilson 2 piece guide rod and plug in it.
    The P-14 limited is one of my favorite shooters and the single stage Gov. model they offer is not expensive and runs just fine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not my listing but I have been drooling over a Kimber Warrior in the classifieds the past 24 hours. I already have a full size Kimber so I can't justify getting another (unless I think about it for another 5 minutes:D). I think it's listed for $900 exactly.

When you are spending that much, you should be able to get all the options you're looking for in the semi-custom or production 1911's. I'm a fan of Kimber but I know that Springfield also makes a very nice 1911 in a similar price range. Enjoy the search. Before too long, you'll need another (on second thought, maybe I do need that Warrior...).

Oh yeah, you "Need" it. I am drooling over a Springer TRP to sit next to the Trophy match. I "Need" it.

Well, I do.

BiggEarl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Cory, IN
    Well thanks everybody for the help.. I have a lot better perspective on 1911's now. This should help me on my hunt for the one for me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    BiggEarl, you don't say what your location is, but surely someone in your area has various brands/barrel lengths for you to try out before you buy.
    Start there...

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have a Kimber Compact and a 5" Springfield Mil-Spec. As for accuracy, the Compact is the best of the two, an absolute tack driver. Reliability has also been excellent. It is my preferred carry choice for the above reasons, in addition to size.

DSC01308-1.jpg

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    my buddy just got a remington enhanced model that he really loves. he paid around 800 for it. could be one to look into.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Kimber is hard to beat for the $$$.

I just can't justify the money for an SA when it's an imported pistol. That's cool for a $500-600 1911 but not for a $1k gun.

Want the best, using the newest bestest of everything? I think S&W puts out some of the best 1911s out there if that gets your fancy.

We'll just exclude the $1800+ top shelf guns for the sake of this post.

Anything made half way decent with decent steel can be made into a shooter, just it's a little less money to invest in something better to start with.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Kimber is hard to beat for the $$$.

I just can't justify the money for an SA when it's an imported pistol. That's cool for a $500-600 1911 but not for a $1k gun.

They're not all a grand.
    There's one (new from the factory) sitting in the display case for under $800...

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Ive had a few different Colts and a few different Kimbers and i would recommend them to everyone. They are very accurate and very reliable. Fit and finish were also extremely nice! Just my .02

BiggEarl

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 16, 2011
    Cory, IN
    Thanks everybody.. I ended up getting the Para Ordnance Warthog. I know no one really mentioned this particular gun nut once I saw it I had to have it. And I love it so far. It carries and shoots excellent. Thanks for your advice again cause I may have to get me a full size next.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I picked up a Metro Arms american classic II, it was used and the guy who owned it before me didn't realize the ACT mags are junk fir this gun.

Bought wilson 47D's and it actually chambers a round from slingshot and slidestop, from a full mag.

Fit and finish are excellent. I own a hard chrome ACII.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    BiggEarl, the Para Ordnance pistols are great quality. I was stationed down in Texas, and most of the Texas Rangers carry those as duty weapons. Personally, I own a GI Springfield Armory and 2 Kimber Custom TLE/RL II. I like the Kimbers for the bed side gun, since I can mount a flashlight under it. They are all great for stress relief and plinking. You should post some pics of it when you have the time, and if you know how, let me know. I just started on here a day or so ago and Im still getting the hang of everything on here.

Top Bottom