• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Went out looking to do some research on ARs, had a list of wants; and was hoping to feel out prices and see what the stock was like at Bradi's. I thought maybe I might find a deal on a lower to mate an upper to later, I was also kind of curious what the current batch of Colt roll marks looked like, with all the drama that caused lately (not so much on INGO but other forums, look out).

Well something on the rack caught my eye so I asked to take a look at it; it felt well enough, but it was a model nomenclature I hadn't really come across in my research, I'd seen it but didn't really know what was different. It was the AR6920, I'd done the research on the LE/SP6920, and I knew the AR was lighter, but not really how. Well I was directed to one of the always busy but always helpful gentlemen behind the counter, that's always easy to find because of his beard. Well, I ended up making him do a little research, and figured out it was pretty much just the pencil barrel and the process the steel was formed, that made the weight savings, so at a price that was well lower than what I've seen in my searching, I went for it. Planned uses are Home Defense, Carbine training classes and plinking.

So INGO, how bad did I do?:dunno:

IMG_3717.JPG

1-IMG_3723.jpg

1-IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

Because I've got a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun (this is my first entry into the world of AR), on a gun that will more than likely outlast me. I do want to give a sincere +1 and thank you to Bradi's and that guy with the beard that goes by shockabookoo around here; every time I walk in he's willing to help me out, share what he knows and help be find out what he doesn't, no games, no BS; customer service the way it should be. Now to get some range time in this week....

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Very nice, how much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?
    I won't say exactly, but including taxes, I was out the door for under $1,100; which the sticker on this compared to say, Buds LE6920, was what intrigued me, but also left me with some hard questions to answer about just where the weight was shaved.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Where did you get it. Im in the market and want the 6920, but dont want one or the sporter roll mark?

Nvm re read and saw Bradis. To far for me.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Loving your pics! Excellent detail, I'm really jealous right now. I've yet to have the funds to take an AR leap but I can understand your moment of weakness. Too nice! Congrats on the find!!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    In the end that will probably be more collectible than a LE/SP 6920, for the fact that it is LE stamped, 5.56mm and the pencil barrel. We'll all probably find out in years to come that they only made "X" amt. of these and that if you have one it will be worth more. This is just pure speculation on my part, but I have buying, and collecting firearms a long time.
    Nice rifle and a great find.:D

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie

I'd say that was an excellant impulse buy. Those are nice.
    From time to time I try to point people to these as I just don't see what an M4 profile barrel does for most of us that the pencil barrel 6720 won't do better. Especially in terms of weight and handling.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Well I got it out and shooting on Friday (meant to post this a little sooner); being my first AR I can say it was a BLAST! I did quickly realize I need to be mindful of who is 2,3,4 lanes to my right when shooting though, that brass sure kicks! I had cleaned out Dick's Sporting goods on .223 and wanted to save some ammo for later, so only 40 rounds fired (in all of maybe 5 minutes, this thing is hungry for ammo!) But 25 yards standing with the peep sights, it was a nice 4in or so group, which I thought was pretty good because I was just aiming for about the middle of the 8.5x11 piece of paper as the little one inch circles printed on the paper were too thin to discern from 25 yards/ My intention is for this rifle are primarily home defense with classes and plinking coming second, and for how controllable it was I think it's going to serve that purpose wonderfully, very light, and when I was thinking about my basics of proper hold and stance the recoil was very manageable and I was back on target about as easy as it is shooting my 9mm handguns, where my body just returns to resting the front sight post over the target. I'm not terribly worried about distance at this point, though I do plan on working up to a few hundred yards as I get more time and proficiency. I found I could hear and spent time listening to the mechanics of the gun a little more with the recoil spring right under my ear muffs, it was daytime but I never saw any flash with the standard A2 flash hider, it will be interesting to see if that holds true with evening, night and cloudy day shoots.

I'm planning to add a Red Dot optic with low magnification (2-4x), flashlight, fore grip, sling and call it a day, start collecting PMAGs and feed ammo through it. I haven't decided if I want to mess with the handguards and get a rail system or make it work with the A2 handguards.

When I got it home, though I realize compared to the Glocks that I run dry and wipe clean with a paper towel and some brake cleaner to loosen carbon deposits, or the Ruger that's not too much different, the Colt shipped very very well lubricated, and ARs run dirty!:laugh: (this is my first AR remember) While I had read it before, I really never grasped it until I had to clean it. Got about halfway done, and ended up heading out to buy some CLP and a boresnake, in my preference of running things dry, and the reviews I've read, the CLP seems like it should be a good balance of keeping the AR platform happy as they like to run well lubricated, and my aversion to dust collecting oil equally satisfied. If anyone else uses it as your lubricant for the AR, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. The boresnake was a little nerve racking at first, I didn't realize how much tension compared to pushing patches through with the rod would be there, after I got pas the mental point of not being afraid with would rip and be stuck in the barrel, it went really smoothly and made me wish I'd listened to the internet sooner on that one, it's not mandatory if you've got a pistol, but if you have a long gun, it is worth it, listen to the internet on this one.:):

While everything was broken down I did snap a few more detail photos, that seem to show this holding up to standard level of Colt production standards, that if thrown up on "the chart", the AR series would compare close enough to the LE series that I at least am one very happy guy.

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

And well this one is just gratuitous
    IMG_3886.JPG

I'm thrilled with it, and for a first AR and a home defense AR I think it's going to be wonderful, but I'm definitely still on the learning curve when it comes to getting the most out of these EBRs :ar15:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Well I got it out and shooting on Friday (meant to post this a little sooner); being my first AR I can say it was a BLAST! I did quickly realize I need to be mindful of who is 2,3,4 lanes to my right when shooting though, that brass sure kicks! I had cleaned out Dick's Sporting goods on .223 and wanted to save some ammo for later, so only 40 rounds fired (in all of maybe 5 minutes, this thing is hungry for ammo!) But 25 yards standing with the peep sights, it was a nice 4in or so group, which I thought was pretty good because I was just aiming for about the middle of the 8.5x11 piece of paper as the little one inch circles printed on the paper were too thin to discern from 25 yards/ My intention is for this rifle are primarily home defense with classes and plinking coming second, and for how controllable it was I think it's going to serve that purpose wonderfully, very light, and when I was thinking about my basics of proper hold and stance the recoil was very manageable and I was back on target about as easy as it is shooting my 9mm handguns, where my body just returns to resting the front sight post over the target. I'm not terribly worried about distance at this point, though I do plan on working up to a few hundred yards as I get more time and proficiency. I found I could hear and spent time listening to the mechanics of the gun a little more with the recoil spring right under my ear muffs, it was daytime but I never saw any flash with the standard A2 flash hider, it will be interesting to see if that holds true with evening, night and cloudy day shoots.

I'm planning to add a Red Dot optic with low magnification (2-4x), flashlight, fore grip, sling and call it a day, start collecting PMAGs and feed ammo through it. I haven't decided if I want to mess with the handguards and get a rail system or make it work with the A2 handguards.

When I got it home, though I realize compared to the Glocks that I run dry and wipe clean with a paper towel and some brake cleaner to loosen carbon deposits, or the Ruger that's not too much different, the Colt shipped very very well lubricated, and ARs run dirty!:laugh: (this is my first AR remember) While I had read it before, I really never grasped it until I had to clean it. Got about halfway done, and ended up heading out to buy some CLP and a boresnake, in my preference of running things dry, and the reviews I've read, the CLP seems like it should be a good balance of keeping the AR platform happy as they like to run well lubricated, and my aversion to dust collecting oil equally satisfied. If anyone else uses it as your lubricant for the AR, I'm interested to hear your thoughts. The boresnake was a little nerve racking at first, I didn't realize how much tension compared to pushing patches through with the rod would be there, after I got pas the mental point of not being afraid with would rip and be stuck in the barrel, it went really smoothly and made me wish I'd listened to the internet sooner on that one, it's not mandatory if you've got a pistol, but if you have a long gun, it is worth it, listen to the internet on this one.:):

While everything was broken down I did snap a few more detail photos, that seem to show this holding up to standard level of Colt production standards, that if thrown up on "the chart", the AR series would compare close enough to the LE series that I at least am one very happy guy.

IMG_3879.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4054.JPG

And well this one is just gratuitous
    IMG_3886.JPG

I'm thrilled with it, and for a first AR and a home defense AR I think it's going to be wonderful, but I'm definitely still on the learning curve when it comes to getting the most out of these EBRs :ar15:

Why am I aroused right now ?

Top Bottom