IN bill will make filming farms illegal.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    As a commercial swine operation owner i have to agree with this proposed law.as with any industry if you don't fully understand how an operation works and the problems they face.i can see how you may not understand the protection this law could create for farmers. Farming is 1 of Indians largest industries, although most people may have forgotten this farming remains 1 of Indians deepest roots. I frequent our state house and visit with our representatives. Farming is at the top of their list of things to protect. Their are groups that don't understand what it takes to feed the world and look to undermine it with crazy tactics.
    I am open for question to further elaborate.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    As a commercial swine operation owner i have to agree with this proposed law.as with any industry if you don't fully understand how an operation works and the problems they face.i can see how you may not understand the protection this law could create for farmers. Farming is 1 of Indians largest industries, although most people may have forgotten this farming remains 1 of Indians deepest roots. I frequent our state house and visit with our representatives. Farming is at the top of their list of things to protect. Their are groups that don't understand what it takes to feed the world and look to undermine it with crazy tactics.

Then keep anyone who has no business there off of your property and fire anyone who films your swine operation while in your employment. We don't need yet more laws to protect a given business image.

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Then keep anyone who has no business there off of your property and fire anyone who films your swine operation while in your employment. We don't need yet more laws to protect a given business image.
    the law the are purposing is to protect people's right to make a living.in a law obeying manor that society has demeaned necessary for existence. Their are currently groups actively working in Indiana that are committing crimes to obtain pictures that THEY deem as cruel. Then use them to forward they political agenda. In the wake they may destroy a family heritage 100 yrs old and many generations worth of blood sweat and tears.

Assuming your married if i take a picture of your wife naked and post it on the Web for money no less.
    Wouldn't you want a way for the law to protect her rights.
    Or just say i don't like laws deal with it

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Big words for someone who has no idea what they ate talking about

I agree with him. A law to make it illegal to RECORD what you are seeing with your eyes is foolish. Even if you are recording someone that is 100% wrong in animal treatment, they are STILL breaking the "proposed" law and could face the full force of the legal system. Currently, a farm owner can sue someone that is defaming them or causing loss of income...why is that not enough? I see this is just as asinine as states that have 2 party recording laws. As an LEO I find it unbelievable that there are still laws out there that forbid the public from recording what they see with their eyes. Who defines "embarrass, annoy or harm"? It's overly broad.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I'm no PETA fan but from the videos I have seen the filming and reporting is sometimes necessary. I am a hard line meat eater but there is NO REASON to mistreat the animals or make their end of life any more difficult or painful than is necessary.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Why is a trespassing charge not enough?

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Why is a trespassing charge not enough?

Sorry for harsh wording edited my post

I get what your saying no doubt bad eggs in every basket. The point I'm getting at is the pictures that were obtained illegally.

You have to catch a trespasser to charge him. I have 3 farms miles apart from 1 another.covering guessing 15 ac . These people are well connected across the country.

Last edited:

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'm no PETA fan but from the videos I have seen the filming and reporting is sometimes necessary. I am a hard line meat eater but there is NO REASON to mistreat the animals or make their end of life any more difficult or painful than is necessary.

Agreed! I do so however like to point out that if we weren't living on top of each other we would have no need for a food 'INDUSTRY'.

Besides, why would I want to know where and how my food arrived on my silver plate. I want it served to me without getting out of my seat because I work hard (for someone else) and I like it when someone serves me something that I had no energy in preparing. I love my Convenience!

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The point I'm getting at is the pictures that were obtained illegally.

If I don't know what's in my food, or how it's prepared, I'd say that's a violation or a 'trespassing' of my own body... so I choose not to purchase it. Easy fix!
    I laughed at my son for being a vegetarian... until I realized that he'll eat deer, buffalo, ostrich, or anything meat-wise you don't see being pummeled and processed in a 'meat factory'.

tmanbuddyy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    If I don't know what's in my food, or how it's prepared, I'd say that's a violation or a 'trespassing' of my own body... so I choose not to purchase it. Easy fix!
    I laughed at my son for being a vegetarian... until I realized that he'll eat deer, buffalo, ostrich, or anything meat-wise you don't see being pummeled and processed in a 'meat factory'.

I have no problem with people seeing were their food comes from. I think it should be taught to kids in every school in America.go to an inner city and ask a kid were his milk comes from he will probably say the grocery store. Not even knowing a cow makes it

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I say let's pass the Opposite of this bill. Any farm operation that involves food for commercial human consumption should have an "open-door" and "open-book" policy.

Big Ag wants to keep things secret so the public won't see how much poison they are feeding us.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I say let's pass the Opposite of this bill. Any farm operation that involves food for commercial human consumption should have an "open-door" and "open-book" policy.

Big Ag wants to keep things secret so the public won't see how much poison they are feeding us.

I am going to let you in on a little secret, "Big AG" is not the problem, blame the American consumer. Cheap food and mass quantity is what was demanded and the AG industry has produced.
    In Japan it is the exact opposite, quality over quantity, Livestock are pampered and farmers are paid for the best quality.
    If you want to change things here in America, STOP BUYING MASS PRODUCED MEAT. Buy from local butchers and/or direct from farmers, I raise beef this way and have a waiting list of people wanting it. I do run an open door policy to my customers, I encourage them to come out and see how their food is produced.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I agree with him. A law to make it illegal to RECORD what you are seeing with your eyes is foolish. Even if you are recording someone that is 100% wrong in animal treatment, they are STILL breaking the "proposed" law and could face the full force of the legal system. Currently, a farm owner can sue someone that is defaming them or causing loss of income...why is that not enough? I see this is just as asinine as states that have 2 party recording laws. As an LEO I find it unbelievable that there are still laws out there that forbid the public from recording what they see with their eyes. Who defines "embarrass, annoy or harm"? It's overly broad.

It does not make it illegal to videotape what you're seeing, it makes it illegal to videotape with the intent to defame the farmer.

If the farmer was doing something illegal the video could be given to LEO for investigation. Quite often normal farming practices will seem cruel to someone who isn't familiar with animals or who sees a specific part and not the whole picture with the operation.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    It does not make it illegal to videotape what you're seeing, it makes it illegal to videotape with the intent to defame the farmer.

If the farmer was doing something illegal the video could be given to LEO for investigation. Quite often normal farming practices will seem cruel to someone who isn't familiar with animals or who sees a specific part and not the whole picture with the operation.

Wait...... you have to kill a cow or pig for meat!!!!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    the law the are purposing is to protect people's right to make a living.in a law obeying manor that society has demeaned necessary for existence. Their are currently groups actively working in Indiana that are committing crimes to obtain pictures that THEY deem as cruel. Then use them to forward they political agenda. In the wake they may destroy a family heritage 100 yrs old and many generations worth of blood sweat and tears.

Assuming your married if i take a picture of your wife naked and post it on the Web for money no less.
    Wouldn't you want a way for the law to protect her rights.
    Or just say i don't like laws deal with it

Ahh the appeal to emotion. Forgive me, but what you describe would require other laws to already be broken such as trespassing and/or potentially breaking and entering. I don't need another law to make something that is already illegal double-super-de-duper illegal. As you point out, the people taking the pictures are already committing crimes: charge them for those crimes and be done with it. There is simply no need for an extra law that makes an act that requires breaking three laws simply to accomplish it even more illegal.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    Ahh the appeal to emotion. Forgive me, but what you describe would require other laws to already be broken such as trespassing and/or potentially breaking and entering. I don't need another law to make something that is already illegal double-super-de-duper illegal. As you point out, the people taking the pictures are already committing crimes: charge them for those crimes and be done with it. There is simply no need for an extra law that makes an act that requires breaking three laws simply to accomplish it even more illegal.

Would not the person be asked to leave first, assuming it was not B&E? And if they are filming and you ask them to leave and they do, they still have film with intent to defame. That wouldn't be illegal currently. Same as if you never noticed them filming.

Farms do have disgruntled workers and some even have visitors that could film without actually trespassing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Would not the person be asked to leave first, assuming it was not B&E? And if they are filming and you ask them to leave and they do, they still have film with intent to defame. That wouldn't be illegal currently. Same as if you never noticed them filming.

Farms do have disgruntled workers and some even have visitors that could film without actually trespassing.

Ok...except that he clearly said that what people like PETA were doing previously was illegal he just couldn't catch them owing to the size of his lots. Let's try to pin down what we're arguing here.

If it's simply legal to film provided you don't get caught, I don't see why farmers get special government protection for the sake of their livelihood. Sue them for defamation or libel after they post their pics, whichever is appropriate. You don't need special laws.

Top Bottom