• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Layers are almost always a good thing.

[video=youtube;HW4IZ0Flh3M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M[/video]

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Nov 16, 2013
    Greenfield
    I purchased some gear several years ago, from Rivers West. Wore it Sunday and Monday and never got cold or wet. Under armour base, merino wool over that, then the Rivers west outside. Look into it, it's good stuff.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Wow after reading this thread I feel stupid. when I hiked when I was younger we wore thermals and military gear. Now that I am older and don't hike I wear jeans, but if cold I wear my carhartt bibs over my jeans and wool socks. So what is a good replacement for the jeans? I think I got everything else figured out.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Wow after reading this thread I feel stupid. when I hiked when I was younger we wore thermals and military gear.

Most people survive their stupidity. It's only a small percentage of people who go out ill-equipped who run into real trouble, but in most of those cases their troubles were made much worse by being ill-equipped.

One reason I became very good at wilderness survival was because when I started as a kid I couldn't afford much in the way of quality gear so most of mine was milsurp (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) or stuff I made. It wasn't until I was an adult I owned a sleeping bag actually rated for 0f, yet I spent many nights at that temp far away from anything in a 20f Slumberjack (about a 35f bag under realistic measurements), hiking in cotton longjohns and jeans and heavy cotton coats I had for school. I spent a lot of time being miserable cold and learning how to improve shelter and make sure I could create fire under any conditions.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remember, when a sleeping bag is rated at 0 degrees, it does not mean you will be comfortable.
    It means you should not die.
    So if you're going to camp in the cold, you need a sleeping bag rated for lower temps than you expect and/or liners/blankets.

Last edited:

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I would assume, even though I shouldn't, that at some point being outdoors for an extended period of time, that a fire will be built. I mention because natural fibers are much less flammable. Synthetics will go up in a hurry. Might also be a consideration.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Remember, when a sleeping bag is rated at 0 degrees, it does not mean you will be comfortable.
    It means you should not die.
    So if you're going to came in the cold, you need a sleeping bag rated for lower temps than you expect and/or liners/blankets.

This is not quite true anymore. For cheap bags the rating is just a random number that was pulled out of the manufacturer's ass.

For quality bags there is actually a rating system that is reasonably accurate, and that rating system is based on comfort, not survival and there are repeatable parameters used that are reasonably accurate for the average person.

But the difference is that a "0F" bag from CrapMart that costs $50 is probably not going to allow you to survive at 0F. But a good quality 0F bag which will run you $300-500 WILL allow you to sleep comfortable at 0F. EN 13537 is the European Standard for sleeping bag rating and most quality manufacturers go by that now.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Went out today with thermal undies under jeans, a tshirt with a wool sweather with a fleece jacket under a shearling coat with a wool scarf. Could not find my mittens (which are better when it is cold) so had my military leather gloves with wool inserts. Wool socks in Baffin boots with felt liners.

So far so good but what to do for the head? Outdoor Research Gorilla Balaclava with a wool beanie on top. Not cheap but worth every dollar.

or-_wb_gorilla_balaclava.jpg

The Baffin boots are awesome.

4974db1c-b774-4b43-927f-aa473d57ccf0.jpg
    Are either of these sold locally?

I did get some merino wool underclothes - the pants and long-sleeve turtle-neck undershirt... I have to say they're wonderful - they keep me warm when I'm out in the cold but when I step into a warm place I don't get super hot - the material still breathes even if I get it wet.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    One thing I found out a long time ago is that down is great insulation until it gets wet. I wore a down coat on a day that was about 35 degrees but rainy. After a short time being wet at that temp. I was experiencing dramatic signs of hypothermia. It took a hot shower, hot liquids, and a long while in front of a fireplace to recover from that.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    In cold weather I'd take real fur clothing over anything else. I have a beaver fur hat that is so well insulated it keeps your feet warm - no joke.

I like real wool because it is comforatable, breathes well, quiet, and warm.

I'm not a fan of the polypro stuff. I have some but it makes me feel clammy and cold. And I think Smartwool socks are positively worthless - the worst socks I've ever owned - made my feet cold and wore out fast.

For some reason I find it much easier to stay warm when the temps are zero or below than I do when the temps are between 20 and 50 degrees. Nothing is more bone chilling and 40 degrees and raining.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    My Smart wool socks do seem to wear out faster than cotton but I have to disagree on the not keeping warm part. Especially the newer ones. I find them very comfortable and warm.

Top Bottom